[2.0]A Song of Ice and Fire COC build.Exploring a new AOE setup with coldsnap+ice spear with VIDEO!

"
xanster29 wrote:
Is a granite flask not important for this type of build?

You can use granite with saffell's and righteous fire without acrobatics or powerful rare es shield with acrobatics in this case you get -50% armour from granite
"
"
Astrohawke wrote:
When you have 95% crit, it somewhat works but at ~35% crit, it does not proc nearly enough.

Thats like asking "how do i kill Merciless Oak with a white Rusted Sword?"

If you only got 35% Crit Chance, you just don´t use CoC, simple as that.

Ontop of that you use Kinetic Blast, which is, as donong allready said, very poor for singletargets.

You are also not using Powercharges, so thats the reason why your crit is so low.

For this build you need a 6 Link with Power Charge on Critical Strike or a 5L Voll´s Protector. (Voll´s has build in Global Powercharge on crit)

All this is explained in the opening post.

Well I'm using KB for mob packs because my crit chance is low and KB gives more chances to proc crit. I switched to barrage vs bosses but it doesn't help that much. Even if you use 5 power charges (max at this level), crit goes up to what? 50-60%? The amount of times you can cast fireball/arctic breath off barrage vs a single target is still not enough to do significant damage to them.

I transitioned to CoC when the guide said to but if it doesn't really work until you've picked up all your crit and power charge nodes and have decent gear, then maybe I should have just waited until I was level 80.
"
I don´t know if you like a bit of DPS boasting, if yes you might want to use the "CoCulator" i made some time ago to calculate the CoC DPS.

With my Setup i get 116492 Singletarget DPS and 582462 AoE DPS. (calculate with 1 Projectile only and with all 5)

Using Facebreakers brings that number up to 636597 AoE.

Using Icespear instead of Lifeleech and using Facebreakers would turn out 991675 AoE DPS (lvl 19 Ice Spear, need to bring my standard spear back to 20...)

Edit: Just toying around with the Numbers, it seems that Ice Spear is lots better than Arctic Breath even at lvl 19 and not taking the 2nd Form critchance into account!

For my Setup singletarget with ice spear is 153356, seems just crazy...

Those numbers seems insane haha.unfortunately i've not been home recently so i wont be able to test the numbers till the weekend!

"
Astrohawke wrote:
"
"
Astrohawke wrote:
When you have 95% crit, it somewhat works but at ~35% crit, it does not proc nearly enough.

Thats like asking "how do i kill Merciless Oak with a white Rusted Sword?"

If you only got 35% Crit Chance, you just don´t use CoC, simple as that.

Ontop of that you use Kinetic Blast, which is, as donong allready said, very poor for singletargets.

You are also not using Powercharges, so thats the reason why your crit is so low.

For this build you need a 6 Link with Power Charge on Critical Strike or a 5L Voll´s Protector. (Voll´s has build in Global Powercharge on crit)

All this is explained in the opening post.

Well I'm using KB for mob packs because my crit chance is low and KB gives more chances to proc crit. I switched to barrage vs bosses but it doesn't help that much. Even if you use 5 power charges (max at this level), crit goes up to what? 50-60%? The amount of times you can cast fireball/arctic breath off barrage vs a single target is still not enough to do significant damage to them.

I transitioned to CoC when the guide said to but if it doesn't really work until you've picked up all your crit and power charge nodes and have decent gear, then maybe I should have just waited until I was level 80.

Yeah i think i probably told you guys to transition a little too early.i forgot to add in the part where i transitioned and mapped in parties so i had help from others with mobs along the way until i was able to solo myself if i wanted to.still,i mostly map in parties.i feel that with a high chance to hit and a 80%+crit chance with barrage,the build will start to work just fine.if you have problems with crit chance,get a high base crit wand.
ign:JaqenHghar

warbands
"
Proximi wrote:
"
xanster29 wrote:
Is a granite flask not important for this type of build?

You can use granite with saffell's and righteous fire without acrobatics or powerful rare es shield with acrobatics in this case you get -50% armour from granite

Thanks for answering for me!to add on i use AA too so that helps with some physical mitigation.you can change around flasks if you want to.

As for the name of the song,it's called 'some' by soyou

warbands
"
"

Yeah i think i probably told you guys to transition a little too early.i forgot to add in the part where i transitioned and mapped in parties so i had help from others with mobs along the way until i was able to solo myself if i wanted to.still,i mostly map in parties.i feel that with a high chance to hit and a 80%+crit chance with barrage,the build will start to work just fine.if you have problems with crit chance,get a high base crit wand.

It's possible to transition this early, i transitioned at level 45. My question is what base wand you used i mean 35% that is without local crit mod, right? What you need is to take all crit nodes close to shadow area and use the new sage wand base. You can craft decent local crit with tora craft or alt craft (at least 11.5 base crit). Seems that these wands are quite expensive so i dont recommend buying on poe.trade. Also spell dmg, spell crit or crit multi is not necesery since you'll do very high dmg just as it is. in addition ice golem and diamond rings is a must and amulet with chance to crit helps too.

on lvl 45 i had over 85% crit and 95% accuracy. If you dont have voll's just tabula. To generate power charges you can use lvl1 cwdt+gmp+power charge on hit+ice spear and 20% quality assassin mark on herald of thunder auto curse.
Last edited by Proximi on Aug 7, 2015, 4:26:56 AM
Hi! So I've been playing quite a bit getting this build off the ground (78) and I have to say it is the most satisfying character I've ever made. I'm running into a couple snags though, mainly that anything physical is just destroying me. I'm getting insta-killed by most mobs that do physical or corrupted blood or the snake things. I can't kill Vagan anymore and flicker strike spiders are one shotting me. Generally the life leech from all the damage is enough to sustain through but it means little if you instantly go to 0. I've been running a jade and granite flask with surgeon's so they're up almost 100% of the time and I still find myself dying a huge amount. My life is hovering around 3400 with capped resists and there's not much life left for me to get in the tree.
My second question is why no frenzy charges? For 4 points you could get up to 5 which is a pretty significant boost in damage, and if you were to run frenzy charges would you just use the skill or blood rage? I've been experimenting with blood rage but it just accentuates my squishiness and I die even more often.
Lastly, any tips to running Righteous Fire? I have multiple jewels for ES on hit so that I can reserve all of my mana, so purity of fire could certainly be doable but even with PoF the flask and the RotP shield I wouldn't be full capping my fire resistance, and when my character is lacking in survivability and not damage it's hard to justify the trade-off (but I really, really want to!). I feel like if it's possible to get up to the 100% it's just a free way to scale even more ridiculous damage which ultimately is why I'm playing softcore this time around. :3 I'd really like to make this work as a full time thing.
Thanks for any tips you can give me and great build!
"
Proximi wrote:
"
"

It's possible to transition this early, i transitioned at level 45. My question is what base wand you used i mean 35% that is without local crit mod, right? What you need is to take all crit nodes close to shadow area and use the new sage wand base. You can craft decent local crit with tora craft or alt craft (at least 11.5 base crit). Seems that these wands are quite expensive so i dont recommend buying on poe.trade. Also spell dmg, spell crit or crit multi is not necesery since you'll do very high dmg just as it is. in addition ice golem and diamond rings is a must and amulet with chance to crit helps too.

on lvl 45 i had over 85% crit and 95% accuracy. If you dont have voll's just tabula. To generate power charges you can use lvl1 cwdt+gmp+power charge on hit+ice spear and 20% quality assassin mark on herald of thunder auto curse.

Thank you for chipping in!agree especially on the point about not needing a very good wand early on as the damage output is enough as long as you have adequate crit and accuracy.i have never tried coc so early on while leveling so i cant comment much but great input nontheless!

warbands
"
Ta1NteD wrote:
Hi! So I've been playing quite a bit getting this build off the ground (78) and I have to say it is the most satisfying character I've ever made. I'm running into a couple snags though, mainly that anything physical is just destroying me. I'm getting insta-killed by most mobs that do physical or corrupted blood or the snake things. I can't kill Vagan anymore and flicker strike spiders are one shotting me. Generally the life leech from all the damage is enough to sustain through but it means little if you instantly go to 0. I've been running a jade and granite flask with surgeon's so they're up almost 100% of the time and I still find myself dying a huge amount. My life is hovering around 3400 with capped resists and there's not much life left for me to get in the tree.
My second question is why no frenzy charges? For 4 points you could get up to 5 which is a pretty significant boost in damage, and if you were to run frenzy charges would you just use the skill or blood rage? I've been experimenting with blood rage but it just accentuates my squishiness and I die even more often.
Lastly, any tips to running Righteous Fire? I have multiple jewels for ES on hit so that I can reserve all of my mana, so purity of fire could certainly be doable but even with PoF the flask and the RotP shield I wouldn't be full capping my fire resistance, and when my character is lacking in survivability and not damage it's hard to justify the trade-off (but I really, really want to!). I feel like if
it's possible to get up to the 100% it's just a free way to scale even more ridiculous damage which ultimately is why I'm playing softcore this time around. :3 I'd really like to make this work as a full time thing.
Thanks for any tips you can give me and great build!

Yes i agree that physical damage is the build's greatest weakness since we have very little mitigation from it.For stuff like reflect and corrupting blood,all i can say is to be especially alert to the reflect auras and always flask up.By the nature of the build you should have nearly 100% flask uptime so dying to corrupting blood is due to carelessness.

As for other stuff like snakes and spiders,what i'll say is that this build scales extremely well with good gear.I understand that there are not many life nodes within close proximity for the build and hence that is why i have prioritised getting jewels with maximum life as well.Furthermore,the better your gear,the more damage you output--->the more you leech instantly,which makes your survivability better.Also,regarding stuff like killing vagan,it is due to gearing too.Even many levels ago with somewhat worse gear,i was able to facetank vagan.As long as it is not a one-shot,you should be able to instantly leech.Hence,after building a certain level of defences,it is important to invest in offence too.That is also a reason i choose not to use saffells but rather a high dps rare shield.

One reason i do not use frenzy charges is because i havent found a way to reliably and constantly sustain them without gimping my defences(looking at blood dance or BR).Like you said,it accentuates your squishiness.Furthermore,with the clearspeed i already have,i will not be able to notice any difference in the performance of the build in practice.However,if i had to choose one way to make it work,i would use the blood dance.Just know that you are sacrificing 80+life and potentially about 100resists/16% spell dodge which is a lot of mitigation.

There is no way you will be able to have permanently 100% fire res so expect some form of fire degen no matter what if you want to use RF.If you really want to use it i would advice to use it just for bosses so you can melt them much faster.It is possible i guess to respec into some aura nodes to get a better max fire res boost from PoF+RoTP.With that you should be looking at about 88-90% fire res.If you take flask nodes then you will be able to have 100% fire res as long as you hit enemies and refill your flasks.In practice im not sure how reliable this will be but you can try.Why i dont use RF this way is because it is a personal liking of mine to have full uptime of my build's ability aside from vaal skills which i use only at bosses or strongboxes/exiles if i need to.I dont want to end up in a situation where i run out of flask charges and i am against some kind of flicker strike exile which i fail to hit with my life degening and me unable to leech back.Those instances might be rare for sure yeah,but they still happen.Ultimately,it is definitely viable to do RF but know that there will be uncomfortable situations.

Then again,i am not a seasoned RF user for COC so any opinions or comments from more experienced users are welcome (:

warbands
"
I don´t know if you like a bit of DPS boasting, if yes you might want to use the "CoCulator" i made some time ago to calculate the CoC DPS.

With my Setup i get 116492 Singletarget DPS and 582462 AoE DPS. (calculate with 1 Projectile only and with all 5)

Using Facebreakers brings that number up to 636597 AoE.

Using Icespear instead of Lifeleech and using Facebreakers would turn out 991675 AoE DPS (lvl 19 Ice Spear, need to bring my standard spear back to 20...)

Edit: Just toying around with the Numbers, it seems that Ice Spear is lots better than Arctic Breath even at lvl 19 and not taking the 2nd Form critchance into account!

For my Setup singletarget with ice spear is 153356, seems just crazy...

just used your coculator i have 146k single target and 730k aoe with my current setup.Ice spear is better tooltip but for clearspeed i find AB better due to its AOE

warbands
new video up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG4PvzVNHSo&feature=youtu.be

showcasing how mods like enfeeble dont mean shit to this build :D

warbands

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info