Skyrim VS PoE

I got bored of Skyrim

Spoiler
Skyrim was fun for the first few hours, but it has serious flaws (aside from the absolutely trash interface). Some of the perks were simply "increase [attibute] by x%" instead of interesting things i.e bow slow-mo, and really didn't change gameplay at all, almost as if there was no real customization in game.

Combat was a bit formulaic. I played as an archer/melee, all I did was point and shoot arrows and use melee power attacks when I had stamina.

Spoiler
IDC that it won GOTY, it was a pretty crappy ceremony tbh.

and

PoE isn't even done yet.
Comparing 2 different games, is like comparing brie cheese to yoghurt :) Each does what it does best. Skyrim for one had me busy for quite a while. But it loses steam throughout the end. bethesda's solution to that is to release dlc which I am waiting for. This game on the other hand has randomized stuff/pvp elements and such. In terms of playability and having actual fun multi player, I would go for this game. But for solo'ing I would rather play Skyrim so that I won't be bothered while grinding etc.
I cant even compare the games. Totally different.

I can see I enjoy both of them. Have played skyrim about 100 hours or so.

Lets toss some steam here, Skyrim is not rpg - you cant choose role in it, only weapon / skills that you KILL enemies. but I quess its the state of PC rpgs - they are adventure games with character development. Always wondered how character development (or worst yet, classes) makes RPG. They can make good games but not ROLE playing games, Oh well...
Skyrim is ok. It looks pretty, and it's great if you like sandbox games. It's a bit easy though, and get's pretty boring.

"
camtha wrote:
Lets toss some steam here, Skyrim is not rpg - you cant choose role in it, only weapon / skills that you KILL enemies.
In Skyrim, you're assuming the 'role' of a character in a fictional setting. You're right, that's totally not role playing at all.

Madden '95, Call of Duty, and Legend of Zelda: OoT aren't any less RPG's than Final Fantasy VII.

Don't give me the bullshit that RPG's are about character statistics and growth while utilizing menu driven combat scenarios where values are rolled against one another. People need to stop trying to define what a 'true' rpg is as it's impossible because RPG is a hugely broad term.

That's like saying a monarchy isn't a government where as a democratic republic is. They're just two different approaches. Same as an Action RPG vs Adventure RPG.
Skyrim sucks. Not going to bother saying why because I doubt any of you "fans" can articulate a reasonable counterargument to my claims, which doesn't begin with "immersion" and ends with "ignores all of the games flaws".

Instead of comparing Skyrim with other games (because I know you all love comparing it to Oblivion because it's slightly better, still doesn't make it good, sorry), you should look at it's qualities as a standalone craft (or interactive toy, if you will) and as a form of art. Ask yourselves: what do the developers intend for you to experience? Is there anything that they should have added, removed or improved upon? The list goes on, but what I'm trying to say is that you should question everything that you see, instead of being complacent and unaware.

In my opinion, Skyrim had the potential to be a masterpiece. You can really tell that the dev team wanted this game to be something special, but it was just rushed and uncompleted. Despite Bethesda having unlimited resources, the asshole business-suit publishers who have absolutely no interest in games as they're completely absorbed in turning a profit chose to force the release of the game at the release date that nobody cares about.

This pretty much means that the dev team were starved for time; they were unable to finish the game so we're left with half-assed gameplay mechanics, an unrefined leveling and imbalanced system, a plethora of obvious exploits and bugs, crappy questlines with poor writing and cliches, pointless quests with negligible rewards and quite possibly the worst worst interface and combat system I have seen for a recent game. NOT THAT ANY OF YOU TASTELESS, EASILY AMUSED FOLLOWERS WOULD KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

To return to the topic of whether Skyrim is better than PoE, I would have to say that the topic is premature as PoE isn't even finished yet! But if I were forced to give an opinion, PoE would have more potential, as GGG is working with a limited staff with limited resources and limited exposure. Not everyone would be willing to play PoE no matter how good it is, just because it looks like D2. Conversely, everyone would be willing to ADORE Skyrim no matter how shit it is just because it's Bethesda, and they can't screw up, or it's immersive, or because everyone is playing it or some shit. FUS RO DERP

EDIT: Skyrim winning GotY means nothing. The VGA's should be taken as seriously as the MTV music awards, but not without a few bowlfuls of salt.
huh, what why are you reading hthis?
Last edited by CodeOrange on Dec 30, 2011, 3:38:52 PM
"
FaceLicker wrote:
Skyrim is ok. It looks pretty, and it's great if you like sandbox games. It's a bit easy though, and get's pretty boring.

"
camtha wrote:
Lets toss some steam here, Skyrim is not rpg - you cant choose role in it, only weapon / skills that you KILL enemies.
In Skyrim, you're assuming the 'role' of a character in a fictional setting. You're right, that's totally not role playing at all.

Madden '95, Call of Duty, and Legend of Zelda: OoT aren't any less RPG's than Final Fantasy VII.

Don't give me the bullshit that RPG's are about character statistics and growth while utilizing menu driven combat scenarios where values are rolled against one another. People need to stop trying to define what a 'true' rpg is as it's impossible because RPG is a hugely broad term.

Sorry, but I've gotta disagree with you on that one. If RPG's were all about stat tracking and bullshit like that, then games like Bioshock and Call of Duty are RPGs too. No, they only have RPG elements, with the levelling up and whatnot. Skyrim is a crappy first person shooter with both rpg and sandbox elements which are pretty poor when compared to instant classics such as Bard's tale and Saints Row 2, respectively.

You can argue that in Skyrim, the protagonist is merely a blank slate for the player to become more easily immersed, which has been done for over half of all games. It just sickens me that the majority of gamers are unimaginative, benign [man]children who's imaginations have been torn asunder by the very medium they were raised upon. Such a boring, lifeless world with vapid questlines cannot possibly be interesting, can it? Well it doesn't matter, because you ingrates have such low standards when it comes to choosing what to waste your time upon.

This is of course, assuming that you people know what the hell you're all talking about.
huh, what why are you reading hthis?
I personally hate Bethesda's lifeless and void worlds... although I thought they did a better job with the density of Skyrim than previous games... it's still crap.

In either case, I don't think RPG has any real definition anymore. At its core a 'role' can be anything... this basically means that only puzzle/strategy games and pure sandbox games (minecraft and clones?) are not RPGs in today's market.

Back in the day a 'role' depicted the fact you created a custom character to interact with an elaborate world and storyline.

Now, RPG has been pushed towards ANY system that has some sort of story and that you control 1 or more characters that you chose at least some of their capabilities... this then includes most games, including contemporary FPS's with choice mechanics and an actual storyline.

Language changes as the objects that it needs to explain expand... this is what happened with the RPG term. This is also why you will see more and more sub-genre of RPG, such as GGG is calling POE an ARPG.

Skyrim is a sandbox-RPG.. these come with their own quirks and rules about how to interact and build the world that are necessarily different than core RPG systems. It might be more accurately called an open-world RPG, because really you can't do much in it other than go places... there aren't many 'sandbox' elements.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
Morrowind.
Sweeping Maid
Well, for me Skyrim was a pretty nice RPG, for a couple of days. But after I completed the main quest and many side quests, I got bored of it. The story was kinda nice and with full graphics, just wow...
The reason was, that it didnt give much to me(Don't understand it wrong, to be honest, it was a good game). Always the same thing, go into a dungeon, conquer fortress etc...
99% of all combat in Skyrim is against either humanoids or undead or the dragons. The other percent mostly consists of wolves.

Also this: http://www.freefrag.com/skyrim/20761-10-things-skyrim-could-learn-morrowind.html
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info