[2.0] Dual Incinerate Totems 100k Aoe dps /// Rank #1 First Day --- Cheap

"
lethalchemist wrote:
curious what u guys think of soul mantle? seems like the curses really hurt but the extra totem is a huge damage boost and the curse can be handled with 2 flasks of warding. more ES and 7L potential as well.

I have considered it, but unless you're damn lucky and 6L it, you probably doesn't gain much. Even so it is a maybe...

The Soul Mantle itself has INCREASED 20-25% spell damage, but given the Spell Totem is only L14 without quality, you potentially get 6% LESS damage compared to a L20 spell, which is far worse.
'Less/more' damage is a multiplier for your damage, where the 'increased/reduced' damage only apply as a percentage change. Thus 'less/more' is usually much more important than 'increased/reduced'.

You also potentially lose 20% increase totem placement speed (due to no quality on the spell), though that is probably not a big problem.

Then of.c. there is the curse disadvantage which is manageable, but will slow you down at times, potentially when that will get you killed. You'll also take up a couple of potentially useful flask slots.

Counter that is the extra totem, a bit of ES, plus the potential of an extra support gem if you have a 6L.

I don't think there are enough pro's... Two totems still kill stuff FAST!
Last edited by Cyzax on Aug 8, 2015, 4:35:16 PM
Btw, has anyone considered a Magma Orb totem?
I just tried one for fun (very low level MO, and just switched Incinerate out in this build), no idea about viability, but it looked awesome :-D
Last edited by Cyzax on Aug 8, 2015, 7:29:11 PM
Could someone explain why the 6th link is Slower Projectiles? Is it purely because it's projectile damage? It seems like there could be a better option somewhere without sacrificing projectile speed.
"
takanishi79 wrote:
Could someone explain why the 6th link is Slower Projectiles? Is it purely because it's projectile damage? It seems like there could be a better option somewhere without sacrificing projectile speed.

Slower Projectiles give 'more' damage which is very powerful, much more so than the 'increased' damage of Faster Projectiles.
You can make up (most of) the reduced range with a wand sporting a good projectile speed affix if you need to, but getting 'more' damage is much more difficult. Slower Projectiles and Point Blank are the only supports I can think of for this build giving 'more' damage.
Also, when you get Incinerate to Q20, it gains 40% increased projectile speed by itself (2% per Q). That'll by and large make up for it too.

I just tried putting a L13 Slower Projectiles in this (replacing the Item Quantity):

Tooltip DPS went up from ~8100 to ~10300 with auras up... Range would be worse, but if the Incinerate had been Q20 it would not have been noticeable (though for a L20 Slower Projectiles there would be a slight noticeable reduction).
Last edited by Cyzax on Aug 9, 2015, 5:10:22 AM
Ah, thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize that "more" damage worked that way. I knew the projectile speed loss could be made up, but I just couldn't figure out why you would bother reducing it in the first place when you would have to make it up in your gear.
I experimented w/ soul mantle for a while and thought I would share my thoughts. it is manageable but annoying to flask all the time. however having 3 totems gave a lot more damage. i used a 5link soul mantle w/ incinerate, slower projectiles, faster proj, added chaos and faster casting. I saw very small drop in tooltip dps because soul mantle spell totem is lower level than my gem spell totem.

i took increased duration nodes to help mitigate how frequently i was cursed.
I combined CoDT w/ shackles of the wretched to self curse

Overall i would say its not worth it. the increase in damage is pretty significant but all it takes is 1s of being cursed to be oneshot unless your gear is 2 standard deviations better than what I have(1 exalt gear might be good enough).
a good example is fighting map piety and getting cursed w/ conductivity...ouch.

I switched back to tabula rasa and tried some of the same fights and found them to be much easier. these totems do so much damage already and this game really should be called path of survival XD

I hope this helps anyone considering trying soul mantle. If any1 thinks of a better way to handle the curses i would like to hear it. Atziri's mirror does not work since your the caster. I considered thief's torments but it halves the effectiveness not the duration and eats 2 ring slots.
Anyone tried adding iron will gem for the 6th? Seems to boost dps a lot.
Has anyone tried Apep's? I just got
and wondering if it's worth using and it it should change the build at all. thanks
Switched out my scion on std for this to try it out. Just using gear I had laying around and gems I've leveled up in the past.

Gear

~120k aoe dps, right at 10k tooltip.

5k hp and 2k es is nice, but I just feel so weak with only 7% phys mitigation and 11% eva. However you are always on the move so getting hit by much won't happen. I did get my first deathless malachai kill with this build too so I'm liking it quite a bit.

playing around with my last 4 link currently also. IF anyone has some suggestions as to what I should replace cwdt/arctic breath/lmp with just let me know.
Last edited by shrapner on Aug 10, 2015, 3:44:24 PM
Thanks for the build!!
Playing a RF variant of this, 4.2k hp and 20k tooltip dps with faster proj instead of slower. Facerolling maps below 80 is fun.
Clearing above still very doable, some bosses can be a pain in the *** but I guess they are for almost every build too from what I hear.
In noreg or -maxres maps I still have above 10k, so no big deal not using rf :)

oh and due to RF normal Atziri is a joke!
Last edited by Gluecker on Aug 11, 2015, 5:57:56 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info