RIP Scion Dialogue

I guess we can argue about this for a very long time...

But why not just bring the old dialogue back as an option? If GGG have no time, they can just give us the files, we will stick that stuff back into the game ourselves.

Please GGG, please! Scion's dialogue added a lot to the game. Now she is just another feminist whiner and a stupid one at that.
They probably can't because its incomplete in some ways. As pretty much her old dialogue is only up till Act 3. Also if you want a character that gets involved more with the lore its the Marauder now as he's the one who comments on the environment now like the Weathered Carvings in Act 1/Kaom's Zone and even commenting on meeting Maramoa and Siosa in Act 3.
Just another Forum Signature in a Sea of Signatures.
Last edited by Atomic_Noodles on Feb 15, 2016, 5:24:19 PM
"
They probably can't because its incomplete in some ways. As pretty much her old dialogue is only up till Act 3. Also if you want a character that gets involved more with the lore its the Marauder now as he's the one who comments on the environment now like the Weathered Carvings in Act 1/Kaom's Zone and even commenting on meeting Maramoa and Siosa in Act 3.

I've heard that from a lot of people. It's a shame that Marauder isn't my type of character, never managed to get past Act 2 with him.

I feel that I am just going to have to roll a witch... again.
"
鬼殺し wrote:

Eh, it's less that and more than I want people to accept the reality of things. Edwin was not content with the old dialogue because it was a failure at least one front. I know that for a fact. Negative feedback had been given from alpha and onwards. It was a running joke that most people turned their dialogue volume to zero if playing the Scion, that she was the motormouth, the babble fairy, the OMGSHUTUPYOUDAMNBLONDE of the bunch. She stood out from the economically written Six original exiles.

So when Edwin (and whomever else) go to such effort to salvage from that trainwreck a legitimately consistent character, credit is due. Seeing people emerge from the woodwork pining (HAHAHAHA) for what will never be again is just sort of pathetic, I'm afraid.

I'm glad YMDV, but that doesn't change the fact that she's been fixed. That is how you have to look at it, because that's just the way it is.

For a little context, these sorts of critiques? The stuff I did on the page previous? That's my job normally -- you know those 'author thanks' you see in novels and maybe even wonder 'huh, what did they do?'...yeah, I'm in there somewhere, wedged between early drafts and the alpha reader list. I'm never personal about it, because there's no point in being personal about it. I don't think anyone who preferred the former/experimental Scion is in any way inferior a human being, nor do I think anyone liking the latter/eventual Scion a better person. It boils down to one thing and one thing only: which version better conveyed a believable, solid character?

I think I've answered that sufficiently.

And the really cool thing is Edwin, being a fucking master of his craft, got there on his own. All I'm doing is showing you guys why and how, as I see it from my perspective as somewhat experienced word doctor...for lack of a better title.

You remind me of a 6 y/o who just learned what a thesaurus is. I'm not sure the writer needs you to speak for him. I certainly wouldn't.
Last edited by Stealthbug on Feb 15, 2016, 8:02:49 PM
"
Stealthbug wrote:
You remind me of a 6 y/o who just learned what a thesaurus is. I'm not sure the writer needs you to speak for him. I certainly wouldn't.

Now, now, Charan paid a lot of money to appoint himself unofficial GGG spokesman. If you don't let him hint that he rubs elbows with the devs all that cash goes to waste.
Last edited by brgillespie on Feb 16, 2016, 9:19:14 AM
I noticed that a lot of the Classes got TONS more dialogue when playing recently, never knew they removed dialogue for Scion... That's a shame.

Seems kind of counterintuitive to "fix" the Scion by removing dialogue, only to add a ton to the other Classes "unfixing" them.. o_0

What?

PS. I LOVE the new dialogue for the older Classes though, especially Marauder, he was so silent before and now we get hints of Karui lore/theology.
IGN: Golem_Antsy, Harvest
Last edited by Sheriff_K on Feb 16, 2016, 2:16:05 PM
"
I agree with the poster who says she was too damn melodramatic.
If you met anybody like her talking like that, you'd think of them as an idiot. Her opinions never mattered.

Now she actually talks like a sane person with sane priorities.
Instead of going, "Oh I really just wanted to braid Brutus's hair and talk about boys!"
She's like, "That guy's a dick and I'm glad I killed him."

It'd be great if she actually said "Heh ... what a dick."

-VG
Invited to Beta 2012-03-18 / Supporter since 2012-04-08
Last edited by VideoGeemer on Feb 16, 2016, 5:19:58 PM
"
brgillespie wrote:
"
Stealthbug wrote:

Now, now, Charan paid a lot of money to appoint himself unofficial GGG spokesman. If you don't let him hint that he rubs elbows with the devs all that cash goes to waste.

I'm keeping up with this thread just so I can be entertained by his diatribes.

"
rambleramble... after I critiqued pretty much every line of the original Scion's dialogue.

I won't lie. The old Scion dialogue may have been disconnected or out of place, but if you had anything to do with the new dialogue, I'm afraid GGG should start looking for new advisors.

"
And we must accept that. Like or not. No?

Whether you like the dialogue or not, that's very backwards thinking for a consumer.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
...a character who had no 'off switch' for vocalising their every internal reaction or thought. That shit is incredibly annoying in real life...

Just because we hear it in-game, doesn't mean she's speaking it aloud; the voice-acting could very will be the player characters' thoughts, an inner monologue.

And people generally have a non-stop inner monologue... We just don't voice it all... usually. (Though when I'm alone I generally do. Though whether it's a monologue, or a dialogue, I'm not too sure.. :P)

PS. I haven't played a Scion character in a while (probably will again with the new Ascendancy Class,) I just NEED to know one thing:
Is the single MOST important Scion dialogue still in the game? (When she kills the Dweller in the Deep.)

Imo that was the most important line she had, as it showed how she felt a kindred spirit to the monsters of Wraeclast and how she had an intrinsic ability to mind-meld with them...
IGN: Golem_Antsy, Harvest
Last edited by Sheriff_K on Feb 17, 2016, 3:54:24 PM
"
Sheriff_K wrote:
Is the single MOST important Scion dialogue still in the game? (When she kills the Dweller in the Deep.)

Imo that was the most important line she had, as it showed how she felt a kindred spirit to the monsters of Wraeclast and how she had an intrinsic ability to mind-meld with them...

I don't know if anyone answered this but no...all of that stuff about her connecting with Wraeclast's monsters and the nightmare is utterly gone and replaced with a whinny gurl power basic bitch. I can't express how much it annoys the hell out of me.

When I first unlocked the Scion, the fact she talked so much about everything, especially on lore points, made her feel special, albeit in an annoying way. But I felt the fact she talked so much was part of her character: an introverted, scholarly, privileged person who said random things because she was out of sync with the society she lived in. It also made her feel like she was part of the world more than the other classes. There were definitely some lines in the Scion's old speech that were too out of place and won't be missed...but still.

I get it that people don't care much for the story or for the characters in POE and this doesn't mean anything to them. But from a creative standpoint, I really find the fact that characters/stories in games can just be gutted like this to be concerning. It makes story experiences feel more disposable than they should be and characters that much more forgettable. It's good that game developers can care enough to improve and change things easily if the community demands/complains about it, but do it too many times and the original experience is just gone and replaced with something mediocre.
"On the neon-lit streets the passersby are all armed with stylish clothes
The more rubbish this farce is, the more I'll be able to enjoy it."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info