The forums aren't fun anymore

"Please use your brains more" was one of those things I saw other people do to get probated, but which seemed pretty innocuous to me. I remember seeing it happen a couple months ago. So I used what I consider a more offensive variant ("me like" x "cuz me no think good dur hur hur," iirc), just to see what would happen to me.

Nothing, of course.

But this last week certain mods have made it clear I'm no longer a favored son. (Bex still loves us all, like Jesus. Not necessarily so with her angels.) Fairness is closer than ever before.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 23, 2015, 10:15:16 PM
"
Nubatron wrote:
Being civil and acting like mature adults is almost a taboo thing on the internet. For some, they are actually kids and expecting to not act like kids is a stretch...I get that. But I believe the large majority of users are in fact adults (I have exactly zero sources to back that up, just anecdotal evidence).

There are some suggesting that the lines should always be tested and pushed to understand the boundary. I don't disagree with that, but I also believe anyone who does it should not be surprised when they meet the sharp end of the spear.

I'm probably considered an adult by now, but I live a pretty stressful life sometimes so when I come to the internet it's to relax and have fun. And yes, sometimes that means being immature and trying to start an argument, or just seeing what I can get away with like I used to back in school.

Only a few posts removed so far, but still have my probation virginity ;)
P̯̹̙̥̉̏ͦͯA̠̝̰̣̯͕͚̲̭͈̥̠͑̓̿ͦ̾ͯ̍ͅͅȚ̜̦͕̞̞̠̮͎͔͙͔̺̺͉̟̿̿̏ͬ͛͋̍ͮ̌̚H̹͕͚̟͍̘̤̱̻̬͓̬̮̫̦͖̳̹ͮͨ̒̉ͮ̿̈ͪ̇̿͆ͭ̃ͭ̃ͭ̚ ̲̫̞̤͓̳͑ͬ̾͌ͯ͐͂̿͗ͨ͋͑̍͐͗̾̄O͕̮̻͔̳̠͉͖̳͖͈̻͇͈̣̙̪͈ͨ͐̒̽ͣ̋ͅF̣͎̞̞̯̝ͦ͌̆ͥ̈͐̾ͣ̔ͮ̐̀̏ͪ̚ ̟̩͙̙̩̮̻̼ͬ͑ͥͦ͗̿E̼̭̩̜͕̱̤̭̞͖̳͍̝̤̼͓̗ͩͫ̌ͬ̊̋̄͑͗̽X͕̰̪̱̲̩̙̦͓͓̯̠̤̝̝̯̣̥̀̋̌̍̚Ȉ̖̟͔̩̝̊̿ͪͅL̺͓̻̰̀͋̅ͮͧE͔̼͚͕̮̻̟̩̪̖̫̪̦͙̎̑͆̏ͨͅ
why not use reddit? Nothing ever gets deleted there. You can flame and witchhunt as much as you want

And you don't have to see other's flames, because it'll be downvoted into oblivion and hidden.

Best of both worlds.
Last edited by H4xolotl on May 24, 2015, 12:54:42 AM
forget it. Speechless :))
The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
Last edited by ghamadvar on May 24, 2015, 8:43:34 AM
I haven't been watching the forums as much of late, probably one reason (also waiting on expan completion - want to play a complete expan not a beta but agree we need a beta for this expan) being although it's only a few extra clicks it's easy to pass on by when your on the main page and then remember you actually have to go into the forums and then find the general discussion.

Not a huge deal but when you have other things to do and an easy distraction is removed, makes passing by and only catching the headlines even quicker. I did prefer having the option to click from the main page to find GD nice but it seems it was causing to much grief? uneven forum reading posting? I dunno that's my guess.

Pretty sure Bex has said something about it already.
#NeverGoing90
"
Nubatron wrote:
"
bhavv wrote:
'Welcome to the brutal, unforgiving land of wraeclast'.

Make a suggestion that other people please use their brains more. Oh yay, 1 month holiday.

Context is important. Using your simple example:

"Please use your brains more."

This could be akin to calling someone stupid or an idiot, but wrapping it up in plausible deniability that the person just didn't think it through and believe they are smarter than that. Tone and context tend to tell a lot about statements like this. I can see it being used in a way that actually is respectful; but I can also see it being probation worthy if it is surrounded by nasty tone.

Being civil and acting like mature adults is almost a taboo thing on the internet. For some, they are actually kids and expecting to not act like kids is a stretch...I get that. But I believe the large majority of users are in fact adults (I have exactly zero sources to back that up, just anecdotal evidence).

There are some suggesting that the lines should always be tested and pushed to understand the boundary. I don't disagree with that, but I also believe anyone who does it should not be surprised when they meet the sharp end of the spear.

There are ways to discuss things in a way that is effective, thoughtful, respectful and fun for many. The type of fun that some look for here only acts to turn this place into a giant waste pool near a town infected with diseases only USAMRIID would find fun to play with.

It's also important never to forget that moderators are human beings like you and me. It might be, just for example, that a moderator has been told to "use his brains more" at least twice per week by his father, who was a dick. Naturally, he weighs a statement like that as more offensive than someone without such a background or someone who shares the attitude (that if people would use their brains more certain problems wouldn't arise). And you can never turn that off completely.

And there is the history of a user. A condescending but rather harmless remark from someone who is consistently demeaning towards other users has more weight in regards to probations than from someone who is consistently helpful and thoughtful. A moderator might decide that it's overall best for the forum when people with attitudes of asshats are shown that they have no place here, no matter how extreme their transgression.

The front page of GD has threads which were last posted in 3 days ago. ON THE FRONT PAGE. Before staying on the front page of GD was a battle for threads. You were lucky to last a few hours.

Other forums aren't quite as bad as this, but they are all remarkably slow as well. Most have threads last posted in from early yesterday. The exodus has already begun. I can't imagine it ending anytime soon. When people stop posting entirely and each sub-forum is getting like 1 post a day, all that will be left is "Was it worth it?"

Anyway, RIP. I'm gone till awakening goes live. No point even visiting here again when Reddit exists. There are no interesting threads, no interesting posts, or anything interesting anywhere. The Closed Beta forums aren't "WHERE IT'S HAPPENIN", they aren't doing well either. The entirety of the forums is in a state of ruin, in my honest opinion.

I'd like to also acknowledge that the forums may also be dead because of the state of the game (post-challenge league / pre-awakening). But I don't think that is the major cause. Best of luck to those of you that can find incentive to post during this pre-awakening time period.
"
DestroTheGod wrote:
When people stop posting entirely and each sub-forum is getting like 1 post a day, all that will be left is "Was it worth it?"

Honestly, I'd rather see 1 or 2 GOOD posts a day than 100 posts of the kind of crap these forums were getting before.
"
Hodari wrote:
"
DestroTheGod wrote:
When people stop posting entirely and each sub-forum is getting like 1 post a day, all that will be left is "Was it worth it?"

Honestly, I'd rather see 1 or 2 GOOD posts a day than 100 posts of the kind of crap these forums were getting before.

yup.
i like reading all the stupid trolling crap and seeing ppl get mad, i dont play while i eat but i sure as hell love killing time with a hamburger reading a post about religion and diablo 3. I dont see whats wrong, you dont have to read it... this game has always been good on player freedom, mods letting you curse and stuff online.... i love it, now this games turning into north korea.... they are selling out....

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info