Unpopular opinion: GGG should put their foot down regarding "QoL" and convenience (e.g. loot filter)

"
Shagsbeard wrote:
It's kind of like the QWERTY keyboard. It was originally designed to slow down typists. But people adapted to it and changing it would only piss them off. People have tried. Here... try this more "logical" keyboard. No! Fuck you! Give me my QWERTY back! Same thing is going to happen with the filters.

I'm kinda nitpicky, that's not true about QWERTY, it was so that a typewriter would jam less because certain letter were more commonly pressed and wouldn't cross over bars, because the age of typewriters made everyone old farts and not like change, and it's demonstrably better to have loot filter just by obfuscating some items reducing clutter.

But anyways the point.. "quality of life" and "convenience" are not universally synonymous with "making shit easier". I think we should ditch the term "quality of life" and replace it with "game improvement" so it sounds less ridiculous and can't infer a tautological argument.
"
rrtson wrote:
"
NeroNoah wrote:
Using the slippery slope fallacy is not going to give you many supporters.

One example I forgot to mention was the loot allocation, which demonstrably highlights my concern. In Open Beta, there was short allocation, then now we have permanent allocation. Caving into demands for convenience is in fact a very slippery slope. It's not a fallacy at all.

Yes.. a singular instance of a two step of OPTIONS is clearly a slippery slope.

"Caving" to what their users WANT is a good thing, especially if it fits within the game. There is nothing wrong with anything that you have mentioned.
I almost feel this whole argument is ad hominem.

Having a loot filter is really nothing major at all, logistically.

I, also, don't recognize GGG's leniency towards a simple QoL adjustment to be a sign of a potential downfall.

The only thing that's happened here is they have given the player base a larger breadth of playability.

Where I would agree is partial agreement arguments that result in potential nerfs or buffs to specific build strengths.

An overwhelming agreement towards a change? Nah... Not even a grain of salt will be found on my shoulder.
So... apparently, there exist people that are not happy with GGG adding an OPTION to filter loot.

Good, I have built a house, spawned few children, planted a tree and now I saw this - I can die now in peace, having seen it all.
"
aldorus wrote:
So... apparently, there exist people that are not happy with GGG adding an OPTION to filter loot.

Good, I have built a house, spawned few children, planted a tree and now I saw this - I can die now in peace, having seen it all.

rofl
I think they shouldnt even show labels - you should have to mouse over everything that drops one by one to see what it is. Now thats fucking hardcore yo.

...this is how ridiculous your post is.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 6, 2015, 2:43:17 AM
OP: your oppinion isn't particular unpopular, there are a lot of people feeling like you do. Still, your opinion makes very little sense.

GGG did make a stand against QoL for a long time now in many aspects of the game, and it made their game worse. That's were they've gone wrong. Lucky for us, they were clever enough and realised that they are wrong and adapted to the wishes of the players. I did play tons of those games from the 80s and 90s when i was younger, and believe me, there were tons of things where they could've been better. Also, don't forget that maybe a lot of those things you call "nice quirks" maybe wouldn't have been there if the designers would've had the resources, time or technical abilities designers have nowadays.Let me put it straight: you're most likely very wrong thinking that some of the most annoying things back in the days that made games "special" would've been there if there would've been developed nowadays.

GGG take a stand for the right things: drop rates, self found leagues, skill gem system (linking/sockets!) are among those things that are always a topic in this community, yet GGG does not falter. They do give in where it makes the game for example very frustrating (loot allocation) or unreasonably annoying to play the actual game (QoL).

I bet there were people who prefered traveling by horse 100 years ago. Just because some people like something doesn't mean you shouldn't improve it.
Last edited by ahcos on May 6, 2015, 3:00:15 AM
Games like PoE are nowadays released unfinished, because the technology allows them to polish the game afterwards. That's why we still have an unfinished placeholder minimap that looks exactly the same as 4+ years ago. In the good old days when nobody had internet, games had to be finished before they hit the store. Also games like PoE relay on continuous player support.

Just pretend that loot filter and other QoL would have been part of the game, if GGG had to create a finished product at 1.0 release.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
The people playing with the Loot filter are in for a big surprise... all those colors and borders and sounds aren't going to make the game better. Their brain already has developed it's own filter and when you change all those colors you're going to piss it off.

bullshit. By the way, the idea of filter is to turn off the brain and focus on action, if your filter sux that's your problem.
IGN TylordRampage
"
rrtson wrote:
That is a skill I've developed, to snatch a linked tri-color item from a pool of other items before anyone else can notice it. And I'm proud of that aspect of my playstyle.

To be honest OP this sentence makes your whole wall of text seem like you're just salty that'll you'll get less chromes in parties.

"
rrtson wrote:
Too much convenience (via QoL features) turns a game into a borefest.

Are you serious? Convenience => more of actually playing the game as it's intended = boring? I can understand if all the loot in your loot filter was automatically picked up and sorted in your inventory then that might be too much convenience; for me it would remove the experience of picking up a sweet drop.

But some people find sorting through whole screens of loot boring, and would much prefer to just pick up the best loot and get back to dungeon crawling and fighting monsters.. And it's awesome that we're being given the option.

The continuous improvements GGG make are what keep players playing, enjoying and supporting the game. Sorry about your chromes OP.
Spoiler
I'm not sorry
[2.2] Varunastra/Prismatic Eclipse DW Beserker /forum/view-thread/1604711
[2.2] Drunken Wretch - (Gladiator with The Retch + Broken Faith) /forum/view-thread/1656234

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info