Tone down Heralds effects

"
Hulkcore wrote:
I feel the exact opposite. The on-kill visual effects seem negligible (thunder/ash) to imperceptible (ice).

The hand effects ruin any 1h weapon mtx because you simply can't see them over the glowing hands and the shield problem that has been mentioned is annoying as well. They also ruin any chance of having a character that isn't bright/flashy. Want a green/venom/chaos themed character with all the green mtx? Nope, you get bright orange hands. Want a red/flame caster? Nope, you get bright white/blue hands.

I would just kill the hand effects and leave the rest. The on-kill stuff makes sense since skill effects tend to be bright anyway and provide necessary information.

Exactly this. The problem has always been the big obvious balls around the hands that obscure glove and weapon skins.
Aura Reservation Calculator: https://poe.mikelat.com/
Chromatic Calculator: http://siveran.github.io/calc.html
Tired of using GGG's crappy skill planner? Tell them here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1555283
"
Russell wrote:
Yeah barivius I could do that. The problem is people turn them on at separate times. Though... Actually.. I think auras get reset per area right? So maybe that would work. Like sure they would look bad when you turn them on to start with. However once you change zone they would line up fade wise. I might give that one a shot. Iv thought about it before but there was something im sure stopped it from working... Ill take a look once I get this act 4 stuff out of the way.

Btw I would do this with the animation time frame. No programmers needed thankfully! When programmers need to get involved it normally means its going to need a lot of work than its worth :P

Not really a fan of those ideas Zaorish_9. I know people enjoyed the effects when they saw them originally one by one. Its just when they stacked they started to look suck. Ill see if I can tone down the impacts a little though. Their not exactly huge or anything. Their just huge when people are chucking round millions of projectiles through millions of enemy's and killing them all at the same time. If we balanced the effects around that. The game would look mega putts from level 1-75. Thats the level range we balance effects around. Though we do a bit of tweaking if the effect looks TOO out of control endgame. Making lots of things explode all over the place really quickly is part of the end game feel I thought?

On this subject, could you at all make the Wrath, Anger, Hatred trio MTXs line up opposite each other when there's only 2 used?

They are great when you run all 3, once you change zone after casting them and they line up evenly, like 12-4-8 o'clock. But if you can only run 2 because of reservation or because no/not enough physical to benefit from Hatred, then Anger and Wrath positioned at 12 and 4 for example rather than 12 and 6 is so OCD aggravating.

:/
Casually casual.

"
Russell wrote:
Iv tried toning them back 3 times now haha. They look good by themselves (me thinks atleast) but damn... When stacked *blegh*. Iv been trying to think of how I can change them. I wish we could have them faze slowly out and in with each other. We dont really have a way of doing that though : /. When I created them I was told most people would use 1 or maybe 2. Only really niche builds would use 3. Well that turned out mega wrong and now im face palming whenever I see them all together everywhere. If I wasn't so busy with act 4 stuff I would take a look at it. We are just too bogged down at the moment : <

Is it the hand effect or the effect when hitting things you dont like?

Im worried this is going to turn into another aura thing where people will send me threats if I change it haha.ha.. ahhhhh....

Russel: How about changing a graphic from the hands (which will stack), to making Ash, Ice, and Lightning effects (red flame, blue chill, and glowing white shocks) emit from a different location.

The location I have in mind where they wont' stack, yet will still differentiate themselves from aura effects would be along the bicep and forearm of the player. Red could have a fixed position around the bicep, ice could be around the elbow region, and shock could be near the forearms. This way the effects will be identifiable on an individual basis, yet also be able to stack and not interfere with one-another on a cosmetic level.
IMO the issue is the hand effects. In particular, I'm tired of the fire being present on the hands of 90% of melee characters. Stacking them is not an issue for me, in fact I think it looks kinda cool... Except the lightning one, that one is really lackluster.
Whatever the case, I can deal with those things. What REALLY bother me is that they are hand effects and hand effects only, and does not extend to the weapon you use at all.
I get that it's reserved for MTX stuff, but I urge you to find an alternative. Tone down the hand effects, and maybe add something ambient, atmospheric or whatever you can come up with. Like a heat aura around the player for HoA. Be careful though, it could make the issue even worse. Make some ember particles would suffice.
"
Russel: How about changing a graphic from the hands (which will stack), to making Ash, Ice, and Lightning effects (red flame, blue chill, and glowing white shocks) emit from a different location.

Same effect, but put it around the boots?
"
Russell wrote:
Iv tried toning them back 3 times now haha. They look good by themselves (me thinks atleast) but damn... When stacked *blegh*. Iv been trying to think of how I can change them. I wish we could have them faze slowly out and in with each other. We dont really have a way of doing that though : /. When I created them I was told most people would use 1 or maybe 2. Only really niche builds would use 3. Well that turned out mega wrong and now im face palming whenever I see them all together everywhere. If I wasn't so busy with act 4 stuff I would take a look at it. We are just too bogged down at the moment : <

Is it the hand effect or the effect when hitting things you dont like?

Im worried this is going to turn into another aura thing where people will send me threats if I change it haha.ha.. ahhhhh....

The hands for me specifically, i cant even tell im using mtx half the time when I have the heralds on.

Though I really like the Herald of Ice hands effect.
Last edited by TRV on May 12, 2015, 10:43:47 PM
To quote myself from a bygone thread (that apparently caught no one's attention):

"
Islidox wrote:
I like the effects of the heralds, but I do have some issues with it.

1. Brightness - individually, each herald is not an issue. Together with 1 or more, especially with Herald of Thunder, they get extremely bright and hard to look at. Please reduce the brightness of these effects.

2. Size - Herald of Thunder is the biggest offender here, but also applies to the other two heralds. When activated, small weapons like wands, claws, daggers, and scepters simply get swallowed up by the heralds. Putting on weapon mtx doesn't make a difference.

Combined together, you can't even see your weapons without buying a bigger weapon skin mtx. I hope this gets looked at. Heralds need to be less bright and less conspicuous as they are. For reference, here's my character with all 3 heralds activated. You can barely see my claw with an Acid Weapon effect on it.

For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
I think at an absolute minimum, we should have an option to turn down the brightness of the 'pom poms' on our hands.

They totally overpower a lot of weapon effects and that is very disappointing to have something I paid for barely visible.
They look really good on highest settings, nothing like that screenshot.

I would be happy if you make it optional rather than turning it down, as I happen to like its current state.
Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
I like the heralds. Makes me feel like I'm Goku. So even if you end up changing it, good job.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info