Tone down Heralds effects

Yeah barivius I could do that. The problem is people turn them on at separate times. Though... Actually.. I think auras get reset per area right? So maybe that would work. Like sure they would look bad when you turn them on to start with. However once you change zone they would line up fade wise. I might give that one a shot. Iv thought about it before but there was something im sure stopped it from working... Ill take a look once I get this act 4 stuff out of the way.

Btw I would do this with the animation time frame. No programmers needed thankfully! When programmers need to get involved it normally means its going to need a lot of work than its worth :P

Not really a fan of those ideas Zaorish_9. I know people enjoyed the effects when they saw them originally one by one. Its just when they stacked they started to look suck. Ill see if I can tone down the impacts a little though. Their not exactly huge or anything. Their just huge when people are chucking round millions of projectiles through millions of enemy's and killing them all at the same time. If we balanced the effects around that. The game would look mega putts from level 1-75. Thats the level range we balance effects around. Though we do a bit of tweaking if the effect looks TOO out of control endgame. Making lots of things explode all over the place really quickly is part of the end game feel I thought?
I like all the fluffy animals[img]http://i.imgur.com/mO8dR.png[\img]
y im slept?
well... theres 2 ways of looking at them lol, I think they look really awesome in theory, as in, the effects you made look really cool, they dont look bad as in theyre not done well, its not that the fire looks cheap and not like fire etc, in that respect they look awesome.

I just dont ever want a large effect on my hands no matter how well its done is the issue lol. For example the imhc thing recently, my guild leader foxtactics got to 3/4 at some point, he was streaming, and Chernobog's Pillar dropped (kreygasm)... so he stuck on his red suit, red boots, red gloves and his pilgrim hat (he likes his vampire hunter d getup), and then he skinned Chern onto his shield and was hyped about how it all looked... and then he turned his auras back on.... and his HoT effect came through his shield cause its this massive thing on his hands and ruined it, he went on some mini rant about how he wished you could just turn off the visual of heralds cause they ruin how you character looks and having been in the same situation I agreed, a number of guildies were saying "yeah I have exactly the same problem I wish I could just shut them off I hate using them".

I dunno, they make me feel top heavy (lol), I dont really mind any level of chaos at my feet thats done well or somewhere detached from my character but on my hands i wouldnt really want anything that made my hands bigger than my hands already are, it makes me feel like this

Its not that you didnt do a good job with the effects theyre done really well, its just, ya, theyre big hands lol. I do admit tho that there would be "omg russell noooo !!11211!!!!" from some quarters if the effects were just completely removed. but Im not gonna lie, i would be over the moon if there was an off switch for people who wont want them clipping through shields etc, Id use it regardless of shields or not, just because I cant deal with the magic mickey mouse gloves.

Dont take that as a criticism of your work though russell the actual effects are exquisitely done.
"
Russell wrote:
Its just when they stacked they started to look suck. Ill see if I can tone down the impacts a little though. Their not exactly huge or anything. Their just huge when people are chucking round millions of projectiles through millions of enemy's and killing them all at the same time.

The heralds look even worse, much much worse, when using a shield.

Seriously, there is no reason for the effect to protrude through the shield itself, it looks terrible. Without a doubt the largest eyesore in the game. (Besides razer footprints and wings ofc.)
Last edited by duckfluffed on May 12, 2015, 11:59:44 AM
"
duckfluffed wrote:
Seriously, there is no reason for the effect to protrude through the shield itself, it looks terrible. Without a doubt the largest eyesore in the game. (Besides razer footprints and wings ofc.)

Nailed it.
Guild Leader - LÉGÄCY

POE is happy good luck fun time for great imperialistic leaders!
Russel, I will be more blunt.

Yes, the fireballs/iceballs look cool. They would be fine on top of a mystical shrine or something.

However...

99.99999% of characters use heralds. They're good and cheap and super easy to plop onto your character. That's Rory's fault and there's nothing we can do about that.

...Moreover!

If you use a herald, you CANNOT see your gloves. They are made completely invisible and obliterated. Goodbye glove MTX!

=====
To use a specific example:
=====

In each hardcore league I like to make a ninja ranger character. I put all the darkest most black MTX on this character that I can find. And she looks really cool. But if I decide to use a herald? BONK, there's these giant, ugly, glaring fireball things that are way too big, too dramatic, and totally inappropriate.

ALSO!

As other people noted they conflict with a shield.

Finallly:

More suggestions:

-Make it a gentle transparent red/white/blue bubble around your gloves instead of something that makes your gloves impossible to see.

-Make it a sort of fade-trail effect, red/white/blue, on the body as your character runs around.

-Make is a gentle, faded rune that's sorta near your character's hands.

Post Script:
~~~~~~~~~~~~

For the love of all that is classy and sophisticated, please at least try to preserve POE's understated art style. No more big honking bright clown-like ugly stuff like the heralds, the stupid fairy/hentai wings, razer footprints, etc. Please. Signed, a high paying and long-time loyal customer!
Hardcore
Last edited by Zaorish_9 on May 12, 2015, 5:53:59 PM
Does everything really need a visual indicator on your character? With auras and charges we already look like walking x-mas trees. Id be fine with the icons in the top left alone. Once you've turned your heralds and auras on why would you need to see them? One is cool, more than that is obnoxious and breaks the feel.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
In addition to the on-character effects being overdone, the Herald of Ice explosions are also excessive. In a build with increased AOE, they constantly cause my screen to freeze when groups of enemies explode. I don't have problems with the rest of the game, so the Heralds really seem to be over the top as far as POE effects go. I'd love to see that tuned down.

It feels ridiculous to not be able to play Herald of Ice in a freeze Prolif or crit build due to its excessive visual effect and POE having no real graphics options (another position that I really hope GGG eventually relents on).
Last edited by Jennik on May 12, 2015, 6:41:45 PM
Would it be possible to add an option like "Enable/disable herald of thunder" in option? auras and other skill effects that messes up party play for all the potatos out there. or would that be impossible to implant?
ign: DreamsofIllusions
+1 ,yeah.

"
Russell wrote:

Is it the hand effect or the effect when hitting things you dont like?

Hand effect: Cool, not needed to be changed
On kill effect : Too much visual, if you use it, no matter what is your main skill, Herald of Ash's's display dominates the whole screen.

Most problem is with Herald of Ash as it is most favoured because of the %more dmg, but players who use it gets this free on-kill-effect spam.

Solution I think should be that :
-Ppl mostly use Herald of Ash for damage conversion for more damage. But the On-kill effect should be restricted for only procing if you build around it. Or changed entirely.

Herald of Ice's problem : The on-kill effect even works with only the amount of colddmg the herald of ice itslef gives. This is the problem. This way crit builds will always shatter everything. There should be a restriction like: On-kill effect only works, if the target is frozen for at least 1 sec. So you should need more cold dmg for it

I also came up with something similar feedback, mostly about herald of ash, as it is 100% to proc, herald of ice at least requires enemy to be frozen :
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1267220
D3 treasure goblins's escape portal is an entrance to Wraeclast
Last edited by Moeeom123 on May 12, 2015, 7:13:56 PM
wouldnt disabling heralds on your shield hand solve a lot of the issues? only make it show on both hands when using a two handed weapon or dual wielding

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info