Tone down Heralds effects

Personally speaking I'd like to be able to see Weapon MTXs without the heralds getting in the way.

A toggle would be the best option.

Obviously I don't know what kind of limitations there are, but perhaps you could take something that looks identical to the current herald effects but place them at ground level similar to auras.
- lightning has an Arc like effect, a singular lightning arc circles the character with small arcs flashing in rapid succession
- Ice has a snowy effect similar to Zana's rose petal aura but much closer to the ground
- Ash engulfs the player in a ring of fire
Designing Cospri's Will: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1665314
Designing Cospri's Malice: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1717008
Iron Heart/Iron Fortress too!
you always can add 3 more simple visual effects to complete basic one if others exits

like make a base effect - fire and simple ice/lightning witch gonna appear only if fire was here, same about others with some rules like fire>lightning>ice to choose base effect
+1
An option to turn off the visual hand effect would be nice , this is seriously boring currently...
The hand glowing thing is awsome, however: The clusterfuck that starts once you kill something.

That´s what we dont like.

The old auras where nothing compared to the heralds in aoe clusterfuck, the hands however is w/e > just awsome to have glowing hands, DO NOT TOUTCH THAT!
zzZzzzZzzZz
Personal opinion: I actually like the way they look now.
Optional hand globes would be nice. I tend to like them but they do get in the way of weapon MTX and shields.

The skill effects are perhaps overblown as well. They do add weight to the skills, I'll give 'em that, but OP is right that they do kind of wash out each build to a series of Herald effects.

For instance, I would reckon most people use Herald of Ash for the Added Fire Damage effect on their physical damage characters rather than for the overkill burn. Having every mob explode in a ring of fire, then, perhaps isn't adding much.

Herald of Ice is even more intense for some reason. Of all the things that dropped frame rates on my old system, Herald of Ice was one of the worst. Whenever a pack of mobs dies more or less at the same time, there's a massive drop in frame rates due to Herald of Ice explosions overlapping.

Moving forward into Act 4, people may be running MORE Heralds, so doing something with the hand effects is perhaps more important. Due to the sweeping mana reservation changes in the current beta, some people are opting for triple Heralds rather than using Hatred.
https://redd.it/p0hyul
Last edited by Futchya on May 12, 2015, 7:56:35 PM
"
Russell wrote:
Making lots of things explode all over the place really quickly is part of the end game feel I thought?

I find that once I reach endgame I want as little effects as possible to prevent the inevitable lag from grouping up in a party. If I could turn them all off except my own I would in a heartbeat.
1-Turn the offhand off if it has a shield.
2-Tune down the on kill effect (Ice/Fire causes lag spikes and dominate the whole screen and lightning invades your caracter more than mtx auras)
3-Limited to 1, with a Keystone (or Unique jewel?) enabling using the three.

Here you go
Last edited by magworld on May 12, 2015, 8:33:52 PM
Just flew in from reddit with my 2 cents.

I never really minded the hand thing but when I fly through a big mob with my cycloner and like 50 big orange explosions go off I cant even see the mobs anymore.

I don't notice a problem with the other 2, maybe I just don't like red because I'm colorblind :s (poke poke yellow gems)
"
Moeeom123 wrote:
+1 ,yeah.

"
Russell wrote:

Is it the hand effect or the effect when hitting things you dont like?

Hand effect: Cool, not needed to be changed
On kill effect : Too much visual, if you use it, no matter what is your main skill, Herald of Ash's's display dominates the whole screen.

I feel the exact opposite. The on-kill visual effects seem negligible (thunder/ash) to imperceptible (ice).

The hand effects ruin any 1h weapon mtx because you simply can't see them over the glowing hands and the shield problem that has been mentioned is annoying as well. They also ruin any chance of having a character that isn't bright/flashy. Want a green/venom/chaos themed character with all the green mtx? Nope, you get bright orange hands. Want a red/flame caster? Nope, you get bright white/blue hands.

I would just kill the hand effects and leave the rest. The on-kill stuff makes sense since skill effects tend to be bright anyway and provide necessary information.
IGN EntropicThunder

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info