New Found Respect

It's honestly nothing to do with item drops that casters are favored over attacking builds/melee in self found.

#1 Casters gain a large majority of their damage from gem levels which are reliable. Other than that all they need to do is toss spell damage on a dagger or wand. For an attacking build to work they typically need % physical, flat physical and then ideally attack speed as well.
#2 With worse gear, it makes sense to stay at a distance or you'll die very quickly.
#3 Desync in bad gear = dead no questions asked. Attacking builds desync more than casters.

It's just the way that casters scale and the fact that they're not melee. I really don't see any issue with it.

As for self found as a whole, the game was never designed to be played like that. You're exiled and find what you can. Naturally you're not going to need everything you find , so you trade that with other exiles for things that you actually need. That's how the real world works as well, it's realistic and I believe the game would lose a serious amount of depth in self found since you can't and shouldn't be able to rely on finding specifically the items you need.
IGN: Adrastos (Betrayal)

Shaper/Uber Service:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2289614
They should make a self-found league with the same unique drop chance as D3.

Then everyone would be happy.
"
Xtorma_Xtorma wrote:
For people who play self found. I was in cruel a2 before I got a boot drop with run speed. I am now in merciless a2 and my resists are shit, and my dps and life a low. I run more than I fight.

You can craft MS boots.
Frankly my drops have been pretty good, no gawd uniques or anything but definitely good.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
"
I would argue that is more a testament to the fact that the game was designed around being able to trade. Trying to play outside of that is bound to be a bit of a challenge.

It's not like the game is designed to be able to trade. It's more like droprates are designed with trading in mind. But yeah, it's the same point.

"
The sheer number of 80+ players though would kind of indicate how achievable it is though.

Yes and no. A huge % of the players that are 80+ are playing Arc / Flameblast or some other builds that require practically no gear. I got very good drops now, but managed to hit 75+ with 2 blue shitty wands (one with +2 to lightning and the other with cast speed + spell damage). Trying to hit 75+ with a TS ranger or some SS/GS melee build would be way harder to do with a blue weapon.

Not like it's impossible, but when you're doing a 5D solo race with a pretty good prize most people will narrow their builds to the ones that can do it with practically no gear.
"
ShankEyes wrote:
They should make a self-found league with the same unique drop chance as D3.

Then everyone would be happy.

If you think there is a way to make everyone happy, you haven't been on the internet long.
"
Begs the question then, should we remove the ease of those builds to race this way or balance other skills to make them equally viable options for doing so?

Neither; to have some builds (with at least slightly different playstyles) that dont rely much on their equip, and make them "feeding" more complex builds with pre-storing the good/neccessary gear...

is also a valid kind of balance. (for the general game itself; racing is a different story. but, even this 'imbalance' in races has its use: to offer some space for 'tacticsism' between heavily used classes/builds and 'special niches')
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
Last edited by Mr_Cee on Apr 28, 2015, 8:33:18 AM
i'm doing just fine
Spoiler
S L O W E R
I've had pretty awful drops this race...
I found 4 gemcutters boxes in the first day, but the best I got out of them was a life gain on it after rolling them well...
I got all my resists from my tree other than my two ring slots.
I've used blue weapons most of the way.

This is a physical cleave build or dual strike build depending on what I find/need.
15 hours /played and I already have this

For all those complaining about the drop rates or whatever
D2 4ever ;)
Since 2011
"
MrPom wrote:
Spoiler
15 hours /played and I already have this

For all those complaining about the drop rates or whatever

Pretty cute, actually, to see people get better drops in a short race, than I have seen in three years of self found play. I'm talking about your gloves. And yes, I've made MF chars, chars capable of doing 78's easy. But, well...

That's why short races and leagues isn't for me, because it has taken me several years of MFing and farming high level maps to even come close to what some get in a week.

RNG for president :D

Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info