New Found Respect

Self found simply requires planning from the player.

if you don't do that and "count" on rng to favor you, be prepared to get royally bummed.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Therealshotzz wrote:
its like those people that cried in d3 that they never find upgrades.
what do they expect? better drops? everyone will get better drops then and would've sold it in the auction house which then would mean that you dont find upgrades again lol

It's rather ironic that you conflate 'find upgrade' with 'find upgrade by trading' when commenting on why some people find their preferred playstyle frustrating.
"
Boem wrote:
Self found simply requires planning from the player.

if you don't do that and "count" on rng to favor you, be prepared to get royally bummed.

Peace,

-Boem-

I got some serious bumming, totally my fault. Still enjoyable as a race, would have been better if I had had the balls to do HC and an easier build.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
Responding to the OP however, I played the one month self-found and as a caster without MoM/EB/Cloak of Defiance. Not because I'm hell-bent on self-found nor because I am psychic and knew what GGG were thinking about EB ahead of time, by the way; the approach reflected the amount of time I had to spend and my general level of interest in the particular league.

My conclusions were: self-found can be extremely frustrating with poor chances of upgrades if you want to play something in particular (no surprise); and that while you can play a caster, even one with costly skills, without EB, you're going to be squishy as hell. Something I've confirmed since ripping that character to standard and continuing to play without a Cloak of Defiance. 12% block from pledge and carcass jack for AoE - YOLO fun to play... but dies very fast and reasonably often.
You guys should really watch more racers. Hell, you should even watch the streamers playing the beta. Ziggy's been rolling a lot of his own shit, not sure how much he's been trading but it isn't a lot.

Make the best use of your currency. Don't just save it up until you get plopped back into standard. Master craft whatever you need to in order to advance. Don't hesitate to use your alchs on reasonable bases for slots in which your gear sucks, starting late-cruel.
"
"
TikoXi wrote:
This league is a gigantic testimony to how incredibly shit PoE's item and currency drop rates are.

I would argue that is more a testament to the fact that the game was designed around being able to trade. Trying to play outside of that is bound to be a bit of a challenge.

The sheer number of 80+ players though would kind of indicate how achievable it is though.

yeah, but the sheer lack of attackers kind of indicates how biased the gear system is in favor of casters.

I mean, i'm a fairly self-found type player and i enjoy it, but the fact of the matter is it's far more restricting for an attacker (especially a melee) than it is for a caster.
Last edited by Shppy on Apr 27, 2015, 11:02:29 PM
I went for a wander (Shadow) because that's what I wanted to play. I usually play HC but it would have taken too much time.
Melee is hard, yes but what you need is a generic skill (Static Strike) and generic nodes to be able to do fine.

0 respect for Lameblast/FireNap players. Prolif got raped in beta, nice.
Last edited by JoyfulPineapple on Apr 27, 2015, 11:20:43 PM
I always play self found till at least merciless in new leagues...doesnt everyone - no one has shit. I plan gems etc. Very minimum trading in merc for getting resits capped or a gem my calss doesnt get. Thing is no point in spending currency until you can wear the good shit you had in mind whole time. What impresses me though in time these ppl get there. Takes me at least 3 weeks to start mapping playing 1-2 hrs a day.
Git R Dun!
"
Shppy wrote:
"
"
TikoXi wrote:
This league is a gigantic testimony to how incredibly shit PoE's item and currency drop rates are.

I would argue that is more a testament to the fact that the game was designed around being able to trade. Trying to play outside of that is bound to be a bit of a challenge.

The sheer number of 80+ players though would kind of indicate how achievable it is though.

yeah, but the sheer lack of attackers kind of indicates how biased the gear system is in favor of casters.

I mean, i'm a fairly self-found type player and i enjoy it, but the fact of the matter is it's far more restricting for an attacker (especially a melee) than it is for a caster.

I guess so. I'm running ele/crit reave with a shitty ass foil, hitting around 3.5k dps at level 58. It's not great, but clear speed is fine. Just need to up my survivability, and trying to find specific gear (needs resists, needs life, needs evasion, needs a couple of bits with +strength) is the biggest challenge for me.

DPS? No problemos. Surviving long enough as melee to deliver said DPS? Somewhat less than easy :)
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
"

I guess so. I'm running ele/crit reave with a shitty ass foil, hitting around 3.5k dps at level 58. It's not great, but clear speed is fine. Just need to up my survivability, and trying to find specific gear (needs resists, needs life, needs evasion, needs a couple of bits with +strength) is the biggest challenge for me.

DPS? No problemos. Surviving long enough as melee to deliver said DPS? Somewhat less than easy :)

That's exactly why I went for SC: with a weapon based build, you need to get as much dps as possible from tree. Survivability is nice but you need to be able to go forward despite not finding a very good weapon.
Last edited by JoyfulPineapple on Apr 27, 2015, 11:24:46 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info