State of Legacies for the upcoming 2.0 patch...

WRT removing legacies:

The technical issue that has prevented them thus far from removing legacies is a simple engine issue: they can't modify extant items while the servers are up. Writing a script that went through everybody's stash and inventory and Divines all legacies isn't difficult, it would just involve shutting the live servers down for weeks for the script to complete.

That said, the technology to modify items on-the-fly doesn't seem like an impossible task, I suspect the kind of people who would be in charge of that engine improvements are also the same people who are in charge of trade improvements, netcode, and possibly even visual effect performance. In other words, it's probably on their to-do list, but is a low-priority item.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
"
gilrad wrote:
WRT removing legacies:

The technical issue that has prevented them thus far from removing legacies is a simple engine issue: they can't modify extant items while the servers are up. Writing a script that went through everybody's stash and inventory and Divines all legacies isn't difficult, it would just involve shutting the live servers down for weeks for the script to complete.

That said, the technology to modify items on-the-fly doesn't seem like an impossible task, I suspect the kind of people who would be in charge of that engine improvements are also the same people who are in charge of trade improvements, netcode, and possibly even visual effect performance. In other words, it's probably on their to-do list, but is a low-priority item.

Numerical changes legacies only, not stuff like acuities .. but yeah.

Anyway .... LOL lets see if they have the technology to actually fix desync before they even attempt this. Shame all these $$$$$$$$$ spent by supporters on super overpriced packs and they cant afford some tech update investment, working with outdated technology and issuing mtx's / working on a core engine with crappy 90s graphics that constantly needs 'UI and GFX improvements' is getting old. *yawn* Better charge us a one time $60 fee than take $1000s from supporters and leave us with desync and legacies and 90's graphics.
Last edited by ancalagon3000 on Apr 28, 2015, 4:25:25 AM
"
TheGrixxitt wrote:
Was kind of looking forward to a wipe to Standard.

The idea of Standard is only good so long as it doesn't turn into the dumpster league that it is in its current state.

Instead of a wipe, keep the current version of PoE at 1.x as the legacy league with no characters or item transfers into patch 2.0+. PoE 1.x just stops where it is now, no Act 4 or new anything but glitch/cheat fixes. V2 would be it's own new game, we would have 2 separate games. Everyone keeps what they earned in version 1.x with no wipes and version 2.0 would have a fresh start in all leagues.

The 2.0 version could be with no legacy items at all, different eternal orb mechanic, mirrors could put a mirror stats on the item just copied that would prevent it from being copied a 2nd time.

Oh the day dreams of what would bring me back to PoE.

I dont see them putting enough effort to change the way theyre creating legacies while developing act 4.

As such, Im assuming a lot of new legacies will be coming with 2.0.
Just create a new perm league for the ladder characters at the end of the ladders.
So no new items from Ladder to Standard anymore, you can still play Standard with your stuff but your Ladder characters go into Standard#2 after it ends.

Problem solved the easy way.
Make
Spectral Throw
great again
Best legacy items:

In all seriousness, i am not a fan of legacy items but it is to late now for ggg to do anything about it. So i don't mind new legacy's if they need to adjust some items.
As long as they try to avoid making stupidly op items in the future that is.
"Axe bad! Fix please!"
"
CommodoX wrote:
Just create a new perm league for the ladder characters at the end of the ladders.
So no new items from Ladder to Standard anymore, you can still play Standard with your stuff but your Ladder characters go into Standard#2 after it ends.

Problem solved the easy way.

Your definition of solved is different than mine. Although I don't view current situation as problematic, I'll assume it is a problem for the sake of debate.

What is "solved" by this?

This is similar to having a leaky roof and buying another house instead of fixing the leaky roof. The new house will eventually have a leaky roof too.

How many "Standards" would you envision? One for each league? There is not enough time to enumerate how bad a business decision this would be. Maybe in the AM.
Standard should just have a wipe once in a while. Maybe once every 2-3 years or so. Permanent just doesn't work with this game. Regardless of difference of opinion about standard from alot of people, i think everyone agrees this can't keep going like this. Standard needs a solution, to make it more accesible and enjoyable for more people.
Standard is fine, don't modify it, thanks.
IGN TylordRampage
There are so many changes to the existing items on beta... if PoE let this one slide the amount of legacy items created will be ridiculous due to this patch.

It will be so bad it's gonna be funny... so many new players play on dumpster will be overwhelmed by so many items with the same name yet completely different stats on them.

If PoE is to go ahead and create hundreds of millions legacy items overnight, they should at least label legacy items "Legacy" or something visible so it's less confusing during trading especially for new players.

oh and inb4 "non-legacy item traded as legacy scam QQ" and "so easy to bait and switch trading scam QQ" and so on
The real hardcore PoE players and the elites sit in town and zoning in and out of their hideouts trading items. Noobs that don't know how to play PoE correctly, kill monsters for items. It's pure fact, it will never change.

Welcome to PoE.
Last edited by Pewzor on May 6, 2015, 10:48:35 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info