Why won't any of my other friends try Path of Exile? ఠ_ఠ

"
yungwhiz wrote:
Because from the minute I started playing POE I convinced my self that it somehow made me some sort of superior being and immediately dismissed my friends as filthy casuals because they were unwilling to put up with the same levels of mindless tedium as I. Also every discussion I had with them after was really a veiled way of me talking about how great I, and to a lesser extent, the entire POE community is for playing POE. I don't have friends anymore. But hey, that's the cost of being a member of such elite and special club.

I just tell my D3 friends that those who play PoE are superior human beings and can effortlessly shit all over D3 casuals even with our hands tied behind our backs blind-folded and strapped to a chair.

The replies are usually unpleasant... I just don't get why they don't play PoE with me and be a better person.
The real hardcore PoE players and the elites sit in town and zoning in and out of their hideouts trading items. Noobs that don't know how to play PoE correctly, kill monsters for items. It's pure fact, it will never change.

Welcome to PoE.
Last edited by Pewzor on Apr 18, 2015, 12:19:33 PM
ITT hyperbole and purely invented scenarios xd
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
The reason most of my friends won't try it:

Skill tree, way too big and intimidating for many people. I know there are people who like this and like to theory craft new builds, this description doesn't match any of my friends however. For the record I dislike theory crafting as well, always end up copying someone elses build.

Graphics, in an age where games like Minecraft is hugely popular some people don't find POE attractive enough.

Game looks sluggish and slow paced.

For people who I did get to try it and who then left:

Skill tree, again too big and intimidating.

Game feels slow and sluggish. (of course anyone who's progressed far enough knows that this changes, but in the start it really is slow and sluggish)

Not intersting enough loot.

Difficult to get in to.

Desync.

And then the fact that I only play hardcore in all games I play makes people who don't enjoy that playstyle not want to try the game since if they start they want to play with me and not on their own.

I've gotten a few friends from D3 as well as from D2 to try POE and they are all playing D3 now, haven't gotten a single one to stay.
Last edited by TiasE on Apr 18, 2015, 12:41:01 PM
If you go into any group of people or internet community and say "yo guys I found the best game lets play X", 90% of the people will tell you the game is crap and you have shit taste...... even if x= the most popular games like lol or cod etc.

People have different tastes. Even the most popular games are played by a minority of the total gaming community.

PoE does very well within its niche.

It would do best by improving within said niche, not by selling out and trying to go mainstream.
Last edited by Splift on Apr 18, 2015, 1:11:24 PM
Questions and reactions from some of my friends that i invited to play this game : random order from what i remember :

- Wow, such a huge skill tree, awesome !!!....After a wile, hm, seems that all are the same now after few levels :|
- Where i can sell this unique ?
- Why isn't there a shop to put my items for sell ?
- Why is this chat making so much lag ?
- Wtf, i sold an entire inventory and got only few scrolls and scraps. I'm wasting my time here.
- At the end of Normal...OMG, you tell me that i need to run all of it again ?!?!?!?... 2 more times...fukoff !
- Why are there so many orbs ? it's really confusing.
- Why are this items so big in my inventory ?
- Opening strongboxes...oh, why is this blocking my game every time i open one ?
- Is there an option to turn off some graphics ? It's a bit laggy for my system...
- I feel claustrophobic, isn't there an option to a bigger fov ?
- This titles of dropped items makes me feel like i'm playing my old Sega 16 bit :D
- Why do i need this scrolls to open this yellow items ? What's the point ? Can't just be free of charge ?!?!?
- Wth, mobs are jumping on me from off screen !
- Trying to craft something.... fuk this sjit, only crap rolls every time !
- Why did they put in passive tree so many useless nods like str/int/dex... just to make it huge...meh, useless... eye candy for no brain ppls...
- Why are resists rolls on my Weapons !!!
- Takes to much to look what drops are good or not...no option to choose what i need ....:(
- Why is there a penalty to moving speed for wearing an armour...it's stupid, i am able to freeze/thunder/etc everything around, but i cannot run faster because i have an armour :DDD
- I can destroy every big boss but cannot move a boulder or a small box ... :D
- What is an Eternal Orb ?
- This game feels so slow... walking,attacking,casting..all seems to be too slow.
- How can i turn of the sounds from skills casting ? Screaming every time isn't fun ...
- Why should i pay for respec the passive nodes ? I want to test what passives are good for, not to pay for testing it !!!
- Why all mobs have stun on hits ?!
- It's something wrong with this game, when i open any window like char info or inventory, it's overlapping my screen. Kind of dizzy.
- Ending Merciless (just 2 friends),...Now what ?... We make maps... What for ?!... - Aaaa, for fun :)
- I have gathering orbs to make a 5 link and for god sake, i can't get one after spending 200 hundreds of orbs...i'm off.
- This inventory it's so small for such huge items. Looks like i'm trying to put my car into my pocket.
- I can't make this item to have 4 slots ! Spent so many orbs :( ...- It's low level... What, what level ? ...Where is level written ?!
- Oh look, this unique just dropped now when it's useless :|...why doesn't drop this on low levels ?!?!?
- Some graphic effects and sounds are just terrible.
- I can't remove quest items from inventory...wtf !
- Damn, i choose the wrong passive skills now when i look at this weapon :))...Why can't i respect this for free ?! I don't wanna make another char just for this.
- This game is quite boring, press one button and this is it...(Normal area)
- What recipes, what are you talking about ?!...Why don't just drop the resulting currency more ?! LoL
- Mapping 66, ...after 10++ maps, Wtf bro', this game has such a bad drop rates, nothing but junk on drop.(solo play)
- Omg, command lines to find an info...wth, are we back in '90 ?!
- I'm tired to go town for selling this junks every 3 minutes ! Can't be there a button to convert them instantly in currency ?
- Where are the debuffs icons ? - Next to aura. Wow, wtf there ! Can't make the difference.
- Everything is eating Mana, why ?
- Omg, my Shield(es) is bleeding :))
- I'm making a new char...now i've learned everything. After Normal/Cruel,... Wow, this game just sucks ! I am dead from 1 hit. Fuk it !
- This mobs(devourers) are damaging me before they even spawn !!!
- I have had +max to all resists, why are they gone now ? - They have been reduced when advanced to next difficulty level. - I have a bad feeling continuing this game, looks like they just removed my resist to look harder.

.....and more ofc,

In the end, all of them just left, and i have the feeling now that i am the guy who is playing the wrong game :D
Played and left a few times. Reasons are:

1> No real group play sub max level.
2> Boring, slow progression.
3> Everything is overly complex. Too many currencies. Skill tree is huge, but most choices are boring +5 here, +10 there type things.
4> Yes you have the choice to create any build you want, but most won't be viable end game and will be a waste of time when you hit the wall. So you basically just pick builds other people have created.

Reasons the game brings me back now and then:

1> The price model is good.
2> The end game map system sounds like the coolest thing I've ever heard about in rpgs.
3> At the end game, seems like there's a high skill cap(unlike Diablo's tormet 6 which is pretty easy to hit).
4> The nailed it with how they're doing ladders and seasons.

There's a lot of really solid ideas behind POE but players shouldn't have to grind their way into the experience. A game should be interesting with diverse game play mechanics throughout the entire experience.
PoE dosent make the greatest first impression on a lot of people
I dont see any any key!
"
"
Spysong192 wrote:
"
robotamen wrote:
This game is complex, hard and deep. Not everybody is looking for this in a game.

I dont want to be rude, but this game is mature in mechanics, others like D3 are made for +8.

I barely heard that people left POE for the reason that the game is too complex. ^^

edit: hehe right above me is one saying that

Dunno^^

They don't leave it because it's too complex, but it's easily one of the reasons they never try it ...

EDIT: GGG needs to streamline it for new players, and that means actively limiting information for newcomers. Experienced players will hate it, but it'll be heaven for many newcomers. If you've played Civ 5, you probably know that you can only see part of the map in the start of the game. My suggestion would be to make an option (on by default) that does something like this, and slowly reveals more of the skill tree as you move further out.

I've always thought this could be an interesting change. You'd take progression one point at a time, rather than fussing over the next Notable. The tree on the site would still be revealed for the purposes of planning your build, but in game there would be a fog of war effect around your pathing.
*You call into the void. You hear a sound in the distance.*
Most of my mates don't really play videogames. I don't even try to explain PoE to them. I just say its hardcore and oldschool.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Skipping thread:

It doesn't matter what your sales pitch is. They will eventually quit from the lack of available respecs, the desyncs, and/or the closed-off economy to newcomers. The only people who stay are the people who love this game so much, they even love its faults because they see them as unique strengths (minus desync of course).

Even I, who do(es?) really like this game, ended up quitting it a second time now. I'm not even looking forward to Act 4 anymore, because I know it's just going to be a temporary distraction before I come back to the end-game wall where I'm forced to farm like it's my job just to try to get any decent piece of gear, when multi-boxing Rangers get 10 Exalts a day for free.

So my problem was that I really like the game. But I don't love it. So therefore, due to all its glaring flaws, it does not hold up. And THAT, my friends, is why people don't play this game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info