Detailed overview of Diablo 3 vs. Path of Exile

Facepalm, alright man. So, you were wrong? Right? Do you at least concede that much?
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on Feb 24, 2015, 2:56:49 PM
Im sure if any us wanted "fun" we would all be playing D3. I hate my life so i'm just gonna stick with my PoE. You kids who cry about dysnc, stop running maps with it.

off topic, can i get a price check on D3:CE?
"
Fhark wrote:
...Im finding ggg's hardline stance on cheating and desync pretty ironic since botting and scripting was left untouched for so long. Sometimes I wonder if poe is better left like the wild west and stamping out these things will hurt the game.

The hilarious part about this is a game like League of Legends is near flawless, competitive and controls a market probably in excess of $1B - and their design never had the desync issues (even when they started out). Granted they've had to work through some hacking issues (everyone does!), the simple fact is it can be done; GGG just needs to suck it up, rebuild their network infrastructure and then address potential hacks as they happen. Their design is flawed to the point of absurdity. Their argument holds no weight.
All that and a bag of chips!
"
TheWretch wrote:
Facepalm, alright man. So, you were wrong? Right? Do you at least concede that much?

What exactly do you mean?

1) I stated my opinion, which was largely based on blizzards decision to use the rune system instead of a tree.

2) You said that my opinion was invalid because I only played for 1 month at release.

3) I argued that my opinion was based on a core feature(skill runes), and that I doubt they have scrapped it and changed over to a skill tree.

4) You post that they actually have, and that I should do some research.

5) I curiously search battle.net forums, and find posts that say the skill rune system is still in place, and that they wish blizzard would instead use a real skill tree.

So I'm just curious which part you're saying I was wrong about? The thread I linked shows that the skill rune system still exists, which therefore means any opinion I had about d3 that was based on this system is still relevant.

To clarify, my original opinion was that I think arpgs are better when the player makes decisions that permanently impact the outcome of their character. The possibility of messing up and making a bad/broken character, is what also allows for the possibility of creating an awesome character. Removing skill trees and manual attribute placement took impactful decision making out of diablo.
So if its shaped more like a grid than a tree its not the same thing? Ugh k we've derailed enough already. take it to PMs if you want but im done.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
"
Mooginator wrote:
"
Fhark wrote:
...Im finding ggg's hardline stance on cheating and desync pretty ironic since botting and scripting was left untouched for so long. Sometimes I wonder if poe is better left like the wild west and stamping out these things will hurt the game.

The hilarious part about this is a game like League of Legends is near flawless, competitive and controls a market probably in excess of $1B - and their design never had the desync issues (even when they started out). Granted they've had to work through some hacking issues (everyone does!), the simple fact is it can be done; GGG just needs to suck it up, rebuild their network infrastructure and then address potential hacks as they happen. Their design is flawed to the point of absurdity. Their argument holds no weight.

Yeah, but remember that Riot had in excess of $15M US in venture capital funding to develop LoL and has a completely different combat and movement system than POE.

It seems like a fair comparison, but its very much apples/oranges. GGG could compromise a lot of their current systems to provide a better experience and less desync effect, but they don't want to, it doesn't fit their vision. As such they can only incrementally improve and attempt to mitigate it - and we as players can either tolerate it or not.

I guess if someone decided to inject $15M worth of investment, they could probably rewrite the entire game from scratch and really tackle the issues head on... but I don't think anyone is going to drop that kind of cash at this stage. Regardless of how well they are ticking along, they probably don't have that kind of available capital to invest themselves.

Hell, have they even managed to find a replacement for the dude who did a runner? The New Zealand immigration/employment legislation can probably take a decent share of the blame here for fucking knee-capping a company from being able to continually develop a succesful product because it thinks some teenage numbnuts who studied making iPhone apps in Comp Sci at WinTEC can take on a job improving net code for an online ARPG :)
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Feb 24, 2015, 3:37:29 PM
"
Mooginator wrote:
"
Fhark wrote:

Yes, they are the pinnacle of security and the beacon by which all games strive to be.... Minus the whole keeping your account and credit card information safe thing. But who cares about that, am I right?

At least they told people when their information was breached. Oh wait...they didn't. Unimportant. After all, it was only like 24 million accounts. A drop in the bucket.

Riot Games and LOL= cybersecurity at its finest...minus you and your account information.

http://www.dailydot.com/esports/jason-shane-duffy-league-of-legends-hacks/
Last edited by Nubatron on Feb 24, 2015, 3:45:46 PM
"
Mooginator wrote:
"
Fhark wrote:

Gotta +1 this. Sad but true.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
Mooginator wrote:
"
Fhark wrote:

i completely agree with this...its really getting old. how many times do u think ppl will beat a near dead horse??

on another note i would play bubble maker pro (d3) if someone paid me to.
[quote="Mark_GGG"]damage modifiers don't can currently can't apply to degen.[/quote]
"Getting all life nods on passive tree should give additional survival, not the mandatory basic survival."
.\1.2/
..\3/
[img]http://ertaislament.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/pentavus.jpg[/img]
"
Mooginator wrote:

Not defending desyncs (cuz I hate them to the core), but you might want to consider that PoE is slightly more complicated in terms of numbers of actions etc. Think you want to read some stuff GGG wrote about desync problem (sorry, no links :( Can't find it).
And if you did not know, LoL does have problems with desyncs :P. Ever had that "BUT THAT BLITZ DID NOT GRAB ME, WTF?!?!" kind of moment? Yeah, here you go :). It is just not as visible as it is in PoE.

On topic again:
"POE IS BEST, CUZ I FIND ELEMENTS OF THE GAME BETTER THAN DIABLO. DIABLO IS NOT GOOD, BECAUSE I FIND IT BAD. I DON'T LIKE DIABLO SO IT IS WORSE THAT POE. NOW, I'M GONNA GO AHEAD AND WRITE DOWN SOME ARBITRARY STUFF, THAT PROVES THAT I'M RIGHT."
- This thread, 2015
(as an alternative, you can switch "PoE" and "Diablo" around, for the other side of the "argument")
Can we just play whatever we want, and be friends? Pls?
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Feb 27, 2015, 7:17:29 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info