Detailed overview of Diablo 3 vs. Path of Exile

Some exiles just like to watch the world burn, :)
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
"
NeroNoah wrote:
Some exiles just like to watch the world burn, :)

*Offers you the popcorn bucket.* =~[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
TheWretch wrote:
"
Shurgosa wrote:
if you can do this in PoE say for example, people REALLY lean towards +HP and resistances....PoE gets away with it.

why

Because items of that uniform nature are just a small part the equation in PoE

Oh ya? Can you tell me what else is part of the equation?

Uh...no. I can't actually, because...in PoE its far to expansive and I'm not even sure what parts I'm missing. I don't have a good grasp of how crafting works, or how the masters enable the affixes to be welded onto weapons, I don't have a grasp of the skill tree because its always changing and the keystone passives and their interaction with certain legendary items, and support gems and skills I am unsure about...because new items are popping up on patch notes and in the wild....and on and on and on and so forth....that's one of the main reasons why PoE is so admirable and makes D3 look like fucking dog shit in comparison.

Because the "equation" of character development can't be summarized on a fucking cocktail napkin. PoE is moving faster, shifting more and has much more to learn about overall. once you crack the mystery of "hit points + multiple resistances...your work is not done. not by a long shot.

once you crack the mystery of trifecta 3 fucking years ago..its obviously a much larger and more boring piece of the puzzle.....
"
Shurgosa wrote:
"
TheWretch wrote:
"
Shurgosa wrote:
if you can do this in PoE say for example, people REALLY lean towards +HP and resistances....PoE gets away with it.

why

Because items of that uniform nature are just a small part the equation in PoE

Oh ya? Can you tell me what else is part of the equation?

Uh...no. I can't actually, because...in PoE its far to expansive and I'm not even sure what parts I'm missing.

Well, at least that's honest
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on Sep 11, 2015, 3:17:27 PM
Science xD
The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
Its almost like you're trying to bump something off the front page, Charan :)
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
"
Well, I received a copy of RoS for my ps4 from a friend the other day. I hunkered down, ready to really sink my teeth into it and prepare the first draft for my own 'RoS vs Awakening' write-up, but something immediately struck me that put a serious halter on the momentum:

RoS starts exactly the same as D3 vanilla and feels no different for the first 10 or so levels.

Now, you might say that's well and good, RoS is about adding more at the top-end, but as someone trying to evaluate ultimately which expansion changed the core game more and for the better, I have to acknowledge that The Awakening was a bottom-up overhaul. It's impossible to get ten levels into PoE 2.0 and not see the differences from 1.3. RoS, on the other hand, really feels just the same as D3 vanilla.

This is interesting. Is RoS more of an 'expansion', whereas The Awakening was an overhaul that just happened to expand the game? I don't think it's hard to argue that PoE has a LOT more room for that sort of complete shift than D3 vanilla, given that D3V was already a pretty complete, fully functioning game while PoE 1.3 had a lot of...rough edges. As does 2.0, but that's not the point. Yet.

I don't even know if I need to continue playing RoS to make this in depth written comparison because if RoS is a top-end expansion and The Awakening more of an attempt at course correction, they're really performing two distinct functions...

Your experience running the campaign in D3 won't be a great deal different from original until later acts,even then it will be much the same old game added upon with new enemies,items and areas.

It also added content and alternate gameplay structure for Adventure Mode which is of most use post level 70.Work was also done on streamlining the Greater Rift/ladder experience,which appears to be the focus of the developers for longevity.

The foundation of design/mechanics of D3 remain the same and rather than change them ActiBlizz have gone with building around or on top of them.Which is really no surprise given the size and scope of existing content,it would likely be less painfull,time consuming and financially wiser to produce/develop a new game form the ground up.

Most simply said as "game starts at 70".

I need not go into POEs changes because you have first hand experience and knowledge those.

=P
Last edited by Temper on Sep 13, 2015, 12:08:20 AM
You're all wrong and you're all right! D3 is probably really a great game but since I only played it for a few hours I can't say for certain. I do know though that Blizzard makes great games. I haven't played D3 more because I've been too busy playing PoE. Posting the same review on the D3 forums would probably be a similar thread only reversed (i.e., more people saying D3 is much better) and with a much shorter thread with a lot of posts asking what is PoE. :-)
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
Yeah but Temper, what's the point of a game that starts...after it starts? I mean, lets assume what it really means is 'the game only gets good after a while' but even that is inexcusable when you have the ability to go back and aggressively adjust from the ground up.

So it's not like a TV show or a book series where its somewhat okay that things take a while to get rolling. If your early game is considered pointless, then you as a developer should reflect on that. Or, as Blizzard did, accept it was all a bit mediocre and that no one cared so just go "adventure mode". But man, what an unworthy and ignoble end for such a rich narrative as introduced in d1 and expanded in d2.

At this point, given the graphic novel and more lore events such as Bravalo in the crossroads, we have to believe that GGG are not ready to throw in the towel yet. That if the gme starts at 70 for some, that's great but its not the default.

Because every game starts at 1, even if the origin doesn't call it that.

At any rate, I'd personally be gutted if I were a developer and it was widely held that the majority of my work wasn't even worthy of being included in 'the game'. Then I'd feel like a failure, because that what it is.

That is how a lot of the POE player base views the game, though - the core content is something to be tolerated until mapping.

I'm not saying it is a good thing, but it becomes a slightly unfair comparison when it exists in a similar fashion for both games.

In saying that, though, I may be mis-understaing and mis-representing your point. So if I am, my apologies. Reading comprehension suffers under the yolk of painkillers and bourbon.

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

I guess you could easily measure it by looking at the number of players who actively complete (or endeavour to) the All Ears / No Stone Unturned achievements. GGG could probably pull those stats up pretty quickly, if they decided to.

I can't believed I scrambled my yolks :( The educator in me wants to confiscate all my pumpkin stickers.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info