Detailed overview of Diablo 3 vs. Path of Exile

"

I'm fairly sure I acknowledged that is how a lot of PoE's players view the game pre-mapping. I'm just saying that's not cool for the devs to let that happen. And it is a matter of 'let'. It's their game. They can control these things. TO A DEGREE.

See, I don't believe enough players feel that way to justify GGG changing the game entire to match the difficulty, pacing and intensity of mapping. But if we do reach that point, I hope GGG accept it and go 'adventure mode' style and stop spending so much money on content/lore/voicework that apparently no one appreciates.

I think that the pre map part becomes that way with time, while with Diablo 3 the first playthrough (story mode) can be foul tasting (depending how on your tastes for basic difficulty and story/lore).

Just remember, it's still the game that GGG wants to do, and there is a non trivial number of people that care about the story.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942

I can play and enjoy PoE totally for free from top to bottom

given its general quality and uniquness, this makes it one of the best games of all times,

if u resist the urge to through Money at it, it can never lose this benefit

regards

What is the Matrix? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XDNGBTsi5U
"
Yeah but Temper, what's the point of a game that starts...after it starts? I mean, lets assume what it really means is 'the game only gets good after a while' but even that is inexcusable when you have the ability to go back and aggressively adjust from the ground up.

So it's not like a TV show or a book series where its somewhat okay that things take a while to get rolling. If your early game is considered pointless, then you as a developer should reflect on that. Or, as Blizzard did, accept it was all a bit mediocre and that no one cared so just go "adventure mode". But man, what an unworthy and ignoble end for such a rich narrative as introduced in d1 and expanded in d2.

At this point, given the graphic novel and more lore events such as Bravalo in the crossroads, we have to believe that GGG are not ready to throw in the towel yet. That if the gme starts at 70 for some, that's great but its not the default.

Because every game starts at 1, even if the origin doesn't call it that.

At any rate, I'd personally be gutted if I were a developer and it was widely held that the majority of my work wasn't even worthy of being included in 'the game'. Then I'd feel like a failure, because that what it is.

The point,from a developers perspective is sales and active and/or return player base I guess.

I play POE for the journey and play D3 for the destination. (longer explanation in spoiler,read at own risk of losing your sanity and proving my senility)

Spoiler
"Old school" ARPG fanatics are a dying breed and it's very likely that developers know and understand this,to go forward they need to cater to the "New kids" on the block who hold efficiency and top quality end game items as the "prize",rather than the journey with it's trials and tribulations that got them there.

There are very few people I know,even on my own shrinking friends list that still take the time,make the effort or even enjoy the "blood,sweat and tears" approach of lovingly nurturing a character from scratch to Godlyhood. (with mostly the same skills/playstyle from the beginning or asap).Character attachment has been lost in the genre and replaced with attachment to characters items/wealth. (Chris gave us a fine example of this when he said that the best thing about finding areal cool item was .. selling it)

We live in a gaming society that treasures short cuts,rewards efficiency & overkill outrageously and frowns upon the path less traveled,mostly considering it an evil cast upon oneself as some form of punishment or a sign of laziness or grandiose delusions of superiority for not being "part of the herd",we're most often called out as regarding ourselves "special snowflakes".

I mostly play POE for the 1-70 trip at which point it's game over and re-roll ensues or I go play D3 for the accessibility it provides to post campaign challenge content,gear and even build diversity,given I don't much give a rats arse what Torment or Grift tier any particular build can achieve,so long as it's fun/intersting to play lol.

POE effectively cuts me off from the above due to my own reluctance to trade,party,utilize networks,efficientize (is that even a real word lol) or be lifted by others and that makes accessibility of high level character progression and content pretty much "no".Sure I can theory dual six link builds all I like,but they will,for me,forever remain just that .. theory,so I don't bother.In D3 or most other ARPGs,if I can visualize a cool build then I can manifest it as well without jumping through a myriad of hoops.

I'm comfortable with and do enjoy both the journey and destination of most older ARPGs.Neither POE or D3 can satisfy my thirst for both however .. and quite honestly,at this point in time,considering they're already aged games set in their ways,likely never will.I just gotta roll with what works for me,by playing both and appreciating what they each offer. =)

Last edited by Temper on Sep 13, 2015, 4:43:39 AM
"
Disrupted wrote:
"
The D3 storyline(...)is very well done

stopped reading here.

lost all credibility by this point, that was quick.

My thoughts exactly. Rita Repulsa killing Deckard Cain, Diablo tits, Azmodan revealing his plans to the heroes yet he is called a brilliant tactician. It's really a farce, a cruel mockery of the lore and story established in the earlier 2 Diablo games, and Blizzard North must be rolling in their graves.
"When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail."
Apart from the story bit, its actually fairly accurate.

Good read nonetheless
"
Temper wrote:

I mostly play POE for the 1-70 trip at which point it's game over and re-roll ensues or I go play D3 for the accessibility it provides to post campaign challenge content,gear and even build diversity,given I don't much give a rats arse what Torment or Grift tier any particular build can achieve,so long as it's fun/intersting to play lol.

POE effectively cuts me off from the above due to my own reluctance to trade,party,utilize networks,efficientize (is that even a real word lol) or be lifted by others and that makes accessibility of high level character progression and content pretty much "no".Sure I can theory dual six link builds all I like,but they will,for me,forever remain just that .. theory,so I don't bother.In D3 or most other ARPGs,if I can visualize a cool build then I can manifest it as well without jumping through a myriad of hoops.

I'm comfortable with and do enjoy both the journey and destination of most older ARPGs.Neither POE or D3 can satisfy my thirst for both however .. and quite honestly,at this point in time,considering they're already aged games set in their ways,likely never will.I just gotta roll with what works for me,by playing both and appreciating what they each offer. =)

Well put, VERY WELL PUT I might say.
"It is a cruel joke that man was born with more intent than Life."
@Charan: Yes, they are a minority, but people still notice the little things (like how Daresso dream was put, the comics, Piety returning, Dialla getting old, the cataclysm). Even if there are those that decide to ignore completely this things, I wouldn't say the number of people that apreciates it is negligible.

Most of the story is shown like an archeology minigame anyway, and that's good enough.

That being said, if I was in GGG position, I'd make a story because is satisfying to do, even if a lot of people will skip it. If you are not inflating costs with cinematics, it shouldn't be too costly for expansions, it's part of world's details.

With your line of thought I could say: no one cares about pre maps, making new acts is a bad idea, let's put our money in end game content, forever, that's what people really want.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
"
Temper wrote:
"
Yeah but Temper, what's the point of a game that starts...after it starts? I mean, lets assume what it really means is 'the game only gets good after a while' but even that is inexcusable when you have the ability to go back and aggressively adjust from the ground up.

So it's not like a TV show or a book series where its somewhat okay that things take a while to get rolling. If your early game is considered pointless, then you as a developer should reflect on that. Or, as Blizzard did, accept it was all a bit mediocre and that no one cared so just go "adventure mode". But man, what an unworthy and ignoble end for such a rich narrative as introduced in d1 and expanded in d2.

At this point, given the graphic novel and more lore events such as Bravalo in the crossroads, we have to believe that GGG are not ready to throw in the towel yet. That if the gme starts at 70 for some, that's great but its not the default.

Because every game starts at 1, even if the origin doesn't call it that.

At any rate, I'd personally be gutted if I were a developer and it was widely held that the majority of my work wasn't even worthy of being included in 'the game'. Then I'd feel like a failure, because that what it is.

The point,from a developers perspective is sales and active and/or return player base I guess.

I play POE for the journey and play D3 for the destination. (longer explanation in spoiler,read at own risk of losing your sanity and proving my senility)

Spoiler
"Old school" ARPG fanatics are a dying breed and it's very likely that developers know and understand this,to go forward they need to cater to the "New kids" on the block who hold efficiency and top quality end game items as the "prize",rather than the journey with it's trials and tribulations that got them there.

There are very few people I know,even on my own shrinking friends list that still take the time,make the effort or even enjoy the "blood,sweat and tears" approach of lovingly nurturing a character from scratch to Godlyhood. (with mostly the same skills/playstyle from the beginning or asap).Character attachment has been lost in the genre and replaced with attachment to characters items/wealth. (Chris gave us a fine example of this when he said that the best thing about finding areal cool item was .. selling it)

We live in a gaming society that treasures short cuts,rewards efficiency & overkill outrageously and frowns upon the path less traveled,mostly considering it an evil cast upon oneself as some form of punishment or a sign of laziness or grandiose delusions of superiority for not being "part of the herd",we're most often called out as regarding ourselves "special snowflakes".

Maaaaan, well put. take all the fuckin' cookies

Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on Sep 13, 2015, 5:39:19 PM
"
TheWretch wrote:
"
Shurgosa wrote:
"
TheWretch wrote:

Oh ya? Can you tell me what else is part of the equation?

Uh...no. I can't actually, because...in PoE its far to expansive and I'm not even sure what parts I'm missing.

Well, at least that's honest

Did you just quote a line from my post that says "I'm not sure whats missing" and then 100% ignore the whole paragraph below it that sarcastically hints at all the different layers of character customization and how they jumble together, in an attempt to sound smart?
Them some summoner revived the dead or what (topic)
IGN: PojzonAbyss
[3.2] Immortal Indigon Poet's Pen Hirophant - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2129766
[3.1] Yamata No Orochi - Oni-Goroshi Jugg http://poeurl.com/bHB9
[2.4] The True Queen Of The Forest - Poison LA/BR Pathfinder http://poeurl.com/M6u [Retired]

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info