Detailed overview of Diablo 3 vs. Path of Exile

"
Teplokot wrote:
They joy of having a debate on f2p forums. Most people in here are not even playing PoE nor D3 anymore)

Lets be honest, most people been playing games because of friends. For one reason or another friends quit. Now suddenly game is not as good as it seemed.

Others got in because they had to understand the system, it was something new for them. They liked it very much at first but deeper they went the less they got in return.

And so on...

If you would think about it - most games are "places" where players entertain other players while developers get the money. Games themselves are s hit. Worst part is people fighting over whose piece of s hit is better.

I have lost 3 close friends to desyncs and GGG lost 3 $200 supporters that spent that much in less than 3 months supporting their game. Yet I feel sad seeing many of the zombie blind follower keep telling people how desync is not an issue (which some of them even say desync doesnt exist it's your computer... how stupid can these people get?)

The fact is I play less and less of PoE seeing that the chance of getting GGG to fix their desync stupidity is amazingly low (also due to blinding fans supporting super desync gameplay = better gameplay)... but again saying desync doesnt impact anything or its a "small problem" while hundreds and hundreds of supporters quiiting the game is so amazingly stupid to hear and these people are also the contributors that give GGG excuses why they are not making the game better. PoE has much higher potential than having barely 10k active players.
The real hardcore PoE players and the elites sit in town and zoning in and out of their hideouts trading items. Noobs that don't know how to play PoE correctly, kill monsters for items. It's pure fact, it will never change.

Welcome to PoE.
"
lightmoon wrote:
"
tuttifrutas wrote:

poe is more geared towards hardcore gamers/ traders. Lack of reward vs difficult( upgrading gear, if you find it, can be tricky).

D3 ros is more casual friendly, it's easier to get geared and upgrade. higher difficulties higher chances.

Im one of them who got trick from POE.
I was trying to farm lv74+ gear for upgrading my lv6x gear in lv74 map, all i got is lv4x trash gear and run out of map to continue farming gear.
So must i keep doing lv6x to farm map at lv8x ?????
Nah, i quitted game.

The gear checking is one of many things kills POE

thats not how gear works in poe, its not d3 where the next level up always brings better gear that you need to progress. Faxtactics arc witch was one of the strongest basic spell builds in the game, items required were geofris crest (lvl5x item) + cloak (lvl5x item) + moonsorrow (lvl5x item), with those 3 items I have facerolled lvl78 palace dominus many times. Theres no gear in maps you need, at all, you can find the gear needed to beat all the content of the game in merciless docks.
I miss so much about PoE. But here's why I've been into D3 since RoS, and particularly since the introduction of greater rifts.

I come home. I have a few hours to play.

I kick back and face roll T6 - easy farmable zone, non exclusive content, still efficient from a loot perspective. The only challenge is how fast I can do it.

I want a bit more of a challenge? I fire up a GR 45 and see if I can beat it. The gameplay is seat of the pants stuff, very exciting and not a little bit frustrating. Still, far less exclusive, gated content than Poe provides for end game.

The gameplay keeps me coming back, in combination that it suits my lifestyle. I am a better (hand-eye) player of arpgs as a result of time with D3. Trying to manitain stutter-stepping for hexing pants, dodging elite affixes, lining up mobs to gain full effect of my piercing buriza, timing my pet calls and all the while trying to maintain a full stack of taeguk uptime is the sort of test I never experienced in PoE (spam, hope, try to out-dps or heal). but then again, I've never experienced Atziri, so I'm probably out of touch.

If I die, I don't lose many hours and hours of time (this is a game, not real life). Also, I can enjoy my family when I'm done playing, I don't have to go "trading" at any stage to enrich my gameplay experience. I have other games for that fix.

Neither better, nor worse - just sharing my current experience.

P.
Last edited by mrpetrov on Feb 24, 2015, 6:34:44 AM
"
Pewzor wrote:
PoE has much higher potential than having barely 10k active players.

Source?
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
mrpetrov wrote:
I miss so much about PoE. But here's why I've been into D3 since RoS, and particularly since the introduction of greater rifts.

I come home. I have a few hours to play.

I kick back and face roll T6 - easy farmable zone, non exclusive content, still efficient from a loot perspective. The only challenge is how fast I can do it.

I want a bit more of a challenge? I fire up a GR 45 and see if I can beat it. The gameplay is seat of the pants stuff, very exciting and not a little bit frustrating. Still, far less exclusive, gated content than Poe provides for end game.

The gameplay keeps me coming back, in combination that it suits my lifestyle. I am a better (hand-eye) player of arpgs as a result of time with D3. Trying to manitain stutter-stepping for hexing pants, dodging elite affixes, lining up mobs to gain full effect of my piercing buriza, timing my pet calls and all the while trying to maintain a full stack of taeguk uptime is the sort of test I never experienced in PoE (spam, hope, try to out-dps or heal). but then again, I've never experienced Atziri, so I'm probably out of touch.

If I die, I don't lose many hours and hours of time (this is a game, not real life). Also, I can enjoy my family when I'm done playing, I don't have to go "trading" at any stage to enrich my gameplay experience. I have other games for that fix.

Neither better, nor worse - just sharing my current experience.

P.

This is a good summary. D3 does appeal to this type of crowd quite well, and it is good that there is a game that does. Risk/Reward and Time Spent ratio does not have a fixed sweet spot when it comes to games. Players pick games that meet their needs.

POE does not meet quite a few peoples needs, whereas D3 does not as well. I have several friends who left POE to play D3, and to be quite blunt, they have attentions spans that make a gnat look like a studious philosopher. D3 meets their needs very very well. I have friends who stayed with POE because getting everything quickly and having no real tangible risk with dying isn't appealing to them. Neither side is right or wrong, just different.

I think the point is that D3 and POE can co-exist amicably. The mistake is when people try to make POE into D3 or vice versa.
Last edited by Nubatron on Feb 24, 2015, 6:49:52 AM
Reading the article a bit already shows that the author doesn't appreciate hardcore gaming. I don't understand how easy progress in D3 can ever be a good thing. I've played both games myself and levelling in D3 was so much easier. After starting rifts it also becomes a way more boring grind than in PoE.

Anyways, I guess that's what casual gamers are about. Easy progress, accessible for anyone without putting efford.
path of exile expert
Last edited by IllusorySuperiority on Feb 24, 2015, 6:55:00 AM
The author's inability to correctly determine the winner of "To vs Too vs Two" usage and other typos helps me understand his "Game Winner" choice better.

Last edited by Scotchfist on Feb 24, 2015, 7:12:44 AM
"
Xavderion wrote:
"
Pewzor wrote:

Source?

There's really no source kiddo. GGG is not the kind that would reveal any figures... thats blizzard they are not afraid to let others know if they are growing or rolling downhill.

One thing is fore sure, Steam do have a statistic on PoE and mathematically and statistically correct. (before the fanbois saying steam chart is only 0.00000000001% of PoE population while again kids... doesnt matter if 1 steam vs2 non-steam or 1 steam is 10 non-steam... they are roughly proportional to each other... statistics 101... this mean is steam shows a decline the game is indeed declining)

At least on steam currently PoE peaks out at barely 10k players and averaging 6k... and is declining overtime... sure rightnow is not the worst population ever in PoE history but it's almost tied with the lowest and is still declining and this is well AFTER the whole RoS hype has cooled off.

Again the point is to the blinding fankids that think desync is nothing... its "tiny inconvenience"... its "stfu just get a 3rd party scripting program is spam /oos script" it's "desync doesnt exist, its your cpu" and so on...

I believe PoE will be a lot better if the stupids dont give GGG all the excuses to keep their game play like a piece of garbage.
The real hardcore PoE players and the elites sit in town and zoning in and out of their hideouts trading items. Noobs that don't know how to play PoE correctly, kill monsters for items. It's pure fact, it will never change.

Welcome to PoE.
Last edited by Pewzor on Feb 24, 2015, 7:00:24 AM
"
Pewzor wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
"
Pewzor wrote:

Source?

There's really no source kiddo. GGG is not the kind that would reveal any figures... thats blizzard they are not afraid to let others know if they are growing or rolling downhill.

One thing is fore sure, Steam do have a statistic on PoE and mathematically and statistically correct. (before the fanbois saying steam chart is only 0.00000000001% of PoE population)

At least on stream currently PoE peaks out at barely 10k players and averaging 6k... and is declining overtime... sure rightnow is not the worst population ever in PoE history but it's almost tied with the lowest and is still declining and this is well AFTER the whole RoS hype has cooled off.

Again the point is to the blinding fankids that think desync is nothing... its "tiny inconvenience"... its "stfu just get a 3rd party scripting program is spam /oos script" it's "desync doesnt exist, its your cpu" and so on...

I believe PoE will be a lot better of the stupids dont give GGG all the excuses to keep their game play like a piece of garbage.
I've seen almost nobody that really denies desync. I really experience it myself as well and it has caused more than one death for me (I play hardcore only).

However, I still find it so much more rewarding and fun to play PoE than D3. Indeed it needs to be addressed, but for me and many other players it's not something that will stop me playing the game.
path of exile expert
This is the response section that I referenced earlier in this thread. Figure making easily available for reference would be better:

"
Sam wrote:

February 22, 2015
You gave Progression and End Game & Replayability to D3? What is going on… This is coming from someone who has most recently played D3 as of Season 2 (hint: which started 9 days ago) and already had a full set of gear and farming T6 on hardcore… and am now done with the game. It took less than a week.

The rift and greater rift “end game” is very boring and repetitive, since there is no change. Also, comparing “Progression” would come down to gear (which both games have) and Paragon Points vs Skill Points… in which case PoE is significantly better.

Replayability is far better on PoE, since once you have every character maxed on D3 there is literally no point in ever leveling again. PoE encourages all different builds and playing classes multiple times, as well as continuing to push your character higher and higher in levels.

Also, the penalty for death on PoE isn’t “days of progression.” You are thinking of D2 at like 95+. In PoE it will set you back a few maps. It also makes sure people actually have good builds in softcore…

The rest of your points were fair, and D3 definitely has some better qualities than PoE (and were designed for completely different audiences), but the gameplay of PoE is much better and should be rated as such. I would much rather play a higher quality game than a game with good sound and voice acting.

Author Response:

"

February 22, 2015
Thanks for the feedback! The End-game & Replayability section was a bit of a struggle, and if PoE had come out on top, it would have won. The core issue is desync; no other ARPG has the desync issues PoE does, and it’s really unacceptable. As somebody who has built a number of characters into the 80’s (haven’t gotten into 90’s but I have friends who have) I can say desync impacts every aspect of the game, and my friends who have quit did so due to deaths tied to desync. This directly and negatively impacts end-game dramatically. And when I say days of progression, I mean for gamers who play a few hours a day. Once you hit 95+ you will lose days of progress if you’re playing ~4 hours a day. 90 is very different from 95. But I agree the “gameplay” and “features” of PoE exceed D3. It’s just a problem when desync impacts all of these features, making the weight for comparison lesser than greater.

Come on. How can anyone take this guy seriously with a statement like that. To paraphrase: "I could not grade this one fairly because if I had, then POE would have won and I simply could not let that happen. Even with my biased analysis and weighting I still had to slant my argument to put D3 on top."

That's just garbage. This guy has no business reviewing and comparing games based on that snippet alone.
Last edited by Nubatron on Feb 24, 2015, 7:05:09 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info