Remove xp penalty's from death

Considering the threat of RMT in a game intending to sustain a softcore economy without resets, it is surprising the current death penalty attacks the one resource botters wouldn't care about at all: XP. A penalty as simple as losing all or a subset of items in your inventory (not stash) would punish bots for recurring deaths while still remaining relevant for human players, particularly when mapping. Penalizing currency items in particular would do the most to hamper botting, assuming the penalty is not trivial. The decision to choose a death penalty without economic impact seems motivated by misguided traditionalism at best and lazily adhering to ARPG cliches at worst.

Having no death penalty at all is absurd.
Last edited by NeverPlaysRarelyPosts on Feb 6, 2015, 9:42:47 PM
"

I would agree with this, if the game was without desync. It's a horrendous, glaring, gaping flaw in an otherwise great game, and one that dosnt HAVE to be there.

I just lost another map's worth of xp (2 bars, currently lvl 83) because once again, the fucking server thought i was somewhere i wasnt. BOOM, suddenly find myself dead and half-way across the room from where i thought i was fighting.

Really, really fucking sick of loosing hours worth of work and valuable maps because GGG cant swallow their damned pride, take their heads out of their asses, and realize that a core mechanic of the game that's designed to punish 99% of the playerbase, to prevent 1% (or less) of the playerbase from hacking is a fucking FLAWED way to approach things.

How many players have quit because of this, or how many players have never started because they were smart enough to do their homework and check the game out before committing to it? Yes, it's technically a free game to play, but people who enjoy the game will buy Mtx's. How much $ do you think they've lost because of the desync / xp penalty issue?

If they absolutely refuse to rebuild the engine w/o the desync issue, then at least remove xp penalty's from standard leagues. Stop punishing your players for something that is absolutely out of their hands to control.

Edit: The idea to pay the 10 alt fee to avoid the xp loss is decent solution to this, if you refuse to remove xp penalty's from standard until (or if ever) the desync issue if fixed. By the time that players reach the levels that desync-death's actually matter to their gaming experience (72+) then having the currency on hand should be a non-issue.

It's not a perfect solution to a problem that's entirely on the dev's heads, but at least this way we wouldnt feel cheated out of valuable maps and grinding time.
-Zombie#1- "That guy has passed right over us 3 times now..shouldnt we be popping out to attack?"
-Zombie#2- "No way, you saw what he did to our friends. Lets just stay down here where its safe.
Besides, you heard how angry he is..keeps shouting something about needing the last 2 to clear.."

Last edited by Wolfarus on Feb 6, 2015, 10:45:19 PM
The best solution for all softcore players who are complaining about 10% exp penalty(lol) is to start playing HC.There is no xp penalties in HC.Problem solved.
"
Wolfarus wrote:
"
weI would agree with this, if the game was without desync. It's a horrendous, glaring, gaping flaw in an otherwise great game, and one that dosnt HAVE to be there.

I just lost another map's worth of xp (2 bars, currently lvl 83) because once again, the fucking server thought i was somewhere i wasnt. BOOM, suddenly find myself dead and half-way across the room from where i thought i was fighting.

Really, really fucking sick of loosing hours worth of work and valuable maps because GGG cant swallow their damned pride, take their heads out of their asses, and realize that a core mechanic of the game that's designed to punish 99% of the playerbase, to prevent 1% (or less) of the playerbase from hacking is a fucking FLAWED way to approach things.

How many players have quit because of this, or how many players have never started because they were smart enough to do their homework and check the game out before committing to it? Yes, it's technically a free game to play, but people who enjoy the game will buy Mtx's. How much $ do you think they've lost because of the desync / xp penalty issue?

If they absolutely refuse to rebuild the engine w/o the desync issue, then at least remove xp penalty's from standard leagues. Stop punishing your players for something that is absolutely out of their hands to control.

Edit: The idea to pay the 10 alt fee to avoid the xp loss is decent solution to this, if you refuse to remove xp penalty's from standard until (or if ever) the desync issue if fixed. By the time that players reach the levels that desync-death's actually matter to their gaming experience (72+) then having the currency on hand should be a non-issue.

It's not a perfect solution to a problem that's entirely on the dev's heads, but at least this way we wouldnt feel cheated out of valuable maps and grinding time.
Desync is not a mechanic; it is an inevitable issue of network gaming, although at its current levels it can be considered bad programming. A death penalty is a mechanic.

Desync is not designed, and thus not designed to do anything. The game's netcode, specifically its desync mitigation and correction procedures, is/are designed (poorly for the former, reasonably well for the latter).

Even then, the link between desync mitigation design and death penalty design is tenuous at best. As I explained in another thread, Lightning Thorns is very analgous to desync, and it works here too: although it is something every character will run across, egregious levels of desync are not ever-present in the game. Giving characters a permanent buff which applies at all times just because an overpowered version of LT exists would be absurd, ununbalancing the majority of gameplay for the sake of a small fraction; in the same way, removing the death penalty entirely, to "fix" desync, is absurd.

My thoughts on desync are here.

A fixed fee in Alts would not be ideal; better would be a variable currency penalty which is capable of removing the most botted currency items (exalts) from circulation, while rarely actually being that severe. For example, all currency currently carried, not including stash; although it would be rare for exalts to be lost this way, it would happen to human players, and hopefully more frequently with bots.

On the other hand, the current XP penalty isn't ideal, either; I don't think your suggestion is better, but I'll give it the dubious honor of perhaps not being worse.
Last edited by NeverPlaysRarelyPosts on Feb 6, 2015, 11:57:56 PM
I've found 2 exalts in the entire time i've played poe. -2-

And you're suggesting using them as the penalty if you dont want to loose the xp? really?

The reason why alts was suggested is: It's a fairly common currency for advanced players, thus it shouldnt be in short supply for anybody.

Loosing an entire map (or more) worth of xp + whatever currency you invested into said map is a horrible, shitty result of desync. We all know that isnt going away w/o a complete revision of the game's engine. I'm not trying to argue that point.

What i am trying to argue is the dev's insistence on enhancing the negative aspect of that with unavoidable loss of xp, currency, and time. There is NO excuse for it, given the root cause. NONE. If desync didnt exist then by all means, have the penalty's in there, i'd have no issue w/ it.

But it does exist, and it does give their players a bad experience that dosnt HAVE to be there, if only the dev's would swallow their pride and actually make some decisions for the good of the playerbase, and not their own ego's.

I've died around 7 times tonight because of desync. I've been stuck at level 83 for the 3 or 4 days now. I've wasted a small handfull of chaos's, alch's, quite a few alt's, a vaal orb, and 3 or 4 maps trying to make up for the loss's ive suffered from this.

Even though i've sank well over $550 into poe thus far, i'm really, really close to making one last post telling the dev's what they can do w/ themselves, their decisions, and their flawed-yet-incredibly-full-of-potential product, and uninstalling.

That is not a result you want from your players, especially those like me who've actually spent a decent amount of $ supporting you and your product/vision.
-Zombie#1- "That guy has passed right over us 3 times now..shouldnt we be popping out to attack?"
-Zombie#2- "No way, you saw what he did to our friends. Lets just stay down here where its safe.
Besides, you heard how angry he is..keeps shouting something about needing the last 2 to clear.."

tl;dr of thread is players use desync as an excuse to get rid of penalty instead of improving their builds
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
That's a gross misrepresentation of the argument, Goetzjam, and we both know it.

But let's pretend desync didn't exist at all for a second. Is exp really the only acceptable penalty for dying? Aren't there other options worthy of exploration and consideration?
"
That's a gross misrepresentation of the argument, Goetzjam, and we both know it.

But let's pretend desync didn't exist at all for a second. Is exp really the only acceptable penalty for dying? Aren't there other options worthy of exploration and consideration?

XP IMO is the most fair and most consistent form of punishment. You can't just throw exalts at the problem if your deing and still want to level. Again I'm not opposed to some sort of way to get a portion of your XP back by recovering your body or something like that, but to say it needs to be removed is WAY TOO much. Doesn't matter what percentage of your deaths are because of "desync"
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"

I'd prefer a stackable debuff to your dps by 10% until you killed 500 monsters or so. That would give sufficient motivation not to die, without this feeling of total frustration about having more or less wasted hours or days of playing for nothing.

Another good thing about it is that when fighting guys like Dominus you would not have endless lives anymore vs his one. With 20% of your dps you'd probably rather get rid of the debuff first, any maybe pick up some better gear on the way.

edit: And maybe an xp-penalty of 3% because a death has to sting at least a little bit, and with no permanent effect it wouldn't.
Last edited by Jojas on Feb 7, 2015, 3:47:52 AM
I definitely don't like that idea, but at least you're thinking about the issue. =)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info