Fix Desync

10/10

Much better than solwitch posts
I told microsoft to fix the blue screen of death in 94

bastards took like 15+ years to even change it from blue screen, smfh
Last edited by grepman on Feb 6, 2015, 5:19:39 PM
If desync is Lightning Thorns, then PoE has 7% life leech, 20% increased leech rate, 20% Lightning resistance, and keeps dying. The more PoE tries to do at once, the faster it dies.

If the PoE playerbase is Twitch chat watching PoE die over and over again to Lightning Thorns, then what Twitch chat is saying is "needs moar leech." Without the appropriate ironic Kappa. The few voices suggesting improved Lightning resist are drowned out in the spam.

Yet more resynchronization is not the answer. Many of you already have /oos on macro and even that amount of "healing" cannot combat the massive amounts of incoming "damage." Rather than trying to stack even more resync, GGG needs to work more on preventing most desync from even happening in the first place, reducing the rate of gamestate divergence to the point which currently available methods of recovery can keep up.
Last edited by NeverPlaysRarelyPosts on Feb 6, 2015, 11:41:18 PM
I solved all my reflect problems by nerfing my damage into a DoT. Running ele ref - max ele maps with pure ele dam is fun, I swear.

About desync: I expect that every mob is 1 sec ahead of what I can comprehend and play accordingly, I still die :( I should hire a fortune teller maybe, great way to put their talents to use. Oo
"
Hemmingfish wrote:
Easy fixes to help the vast majority of desync-related problems which GGG will never do because of network load:

1) Attack monster on client. If the attack passes through the monster on the client but the attack/defend code doesn't get called on the server, force a resync.

2) If you get hit on the server with no hit on the client taking place, force a resync

3) If the player moves on the client for ~800 msec and not on the server, force a resync

4) Remove charge attacks from blackguards and rhoas. They are NEVER in sync and should simply be removed outright until the netcode can handle their movement.

Frankly, the character and mob movement being moved to client would also alleviate some of the server load problems.
GGG's decision to never trust the client is really kicking their own asses.
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Feb 6, 2015, 10:23:51 PM
is ridiculous, unique game with these problems!!!

varius fps and no problem, PoE desynk desynk....RIDICULOUS

I will have lost at least minimun two levels only at 86-87, rare maps and level 75+ are impossible to play quietly!!!
I'm VERY VERY tired!!!!!

blablablabla your connession ecc.ecc.ecc..bales!!! is GGG PROBLEM

FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX

"
FIX DESYNC
So when this is getting fixed? ...

I wish I had a counter for those threads.... Feels like we reach "useless fix desync" thread number 1.000.000 within the next few days.
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
It will get fixed when Battlefield desync gets fixed :>
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
desync is simply something you have to deal with with any game.

even with big games from big game companies.

granted the desync in PoE is quite bad but thats to be expected from an indie company.
as much as some people have payed for with this game (i shudder to think how much a certain person put into this game) it simply is not the same as what these other big companies get for funds and servers and whatnot.

anyways i don't think GGG can keep saying that they are an indie company for much longer.
regardless of all the PoE is dead threads out there the popularity of the game is growing.
I've said this before. I'm saying it again. Going to try to make this as clear as possible.
Definitions

* impetus: phase in an action when it is determined an action will happen, ex: player clicks mouse or monster AI process
* exposition: the action carried out in terms of visuals and movement data, ignoring other effects
* results: numerical data changes caused by an action, such as damage or crit yes/no; can be an impetus for a new action, ex: damage freezes
* wait on server: client does not proceed until it gets data from server; server has valid info first
* trust client: server depends on data from client and does not (or cannot) verify on its own; client has valid data first
* independent: both client and server perform same calculation separately, using shared PRNG seed if necessary to ensure identical RNG rolls; client and server have valid data simultaneously
Here is a security briefing:
Trust client: hackers can do anything within the scope given; only acceptable if scope is "player clicks here"
Independent: hackers cannot write values but can forecast future values
Wait on server: most secure

This is how most games in the genre work:
Impetus - wait on server
Exposition - independent
Results - wait on server

This is how PoE currently works. You can test this yourself by disconnecting from network then advancing on unaware monsters before timeout:
Player impetus - trust client
Monster/damage-based impetus - wait on server
Exposition - independent
Results - wait on server
Minimap/monster positions - independent

Massive amounts of desync are caused by having players react immediately on client, while monsters wait on server for AI; on server, player-characters wait on client input, after which players and monsters act simultaneously.

Independent client minimap allows maphack vulnerability.

Solution is:
Player impetus - trust client
Monster impetus - independent
Damage-based impetus - wait on server
Results - wait on server
Minimap, position of idle monsters - wait on server

The tricky, but not impossible, part is giving client the ability to rollback its own simulation when damage-based impetus occurs such that PRNG seed used for matching results is not corrupted, maintaining independence.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Feb 13, 2015, 7:06:33 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info