Remove xp penalty's from death

"
Wispo wrote:
I read STUPID things like items lossing after death. Ridicolous.
My proposal: NO EXP LOSS, but half exp gained for the next 24 hours per death. Because this is A GAME. And a game MUST >ENJOY< the player, not raise his rage over and over.

24 hours is too extreme, and punishes the players who dont have hours each day to play, though i like the basic idea.

Maybe 1/2 xp gain for an hour after death, with no xp loss. If you die 2 or more times before the initial hour is up, it simply resets to 1 hour.

-Zombie#1- "That guy has passed right over us 3 times now..shouldnt we be popping out to attack?"
-Zombie#2- "No way, you saw what he did to our friends. Lets just stay down here where its safe.
Besides, you heard how angry he is..keeps shouting something about needing the last 2 to clear.."

"
toyotatundra wrote:
Another thread where player is begging for the game to become easy.
Another thread where player thinks he should be able to die his way to higher levels.

No, thanks.

Agree. Devs put so much work on making things that are able to unexpectedly kill players, monsters that appear out of nowhere and kill you. This is hardcore game goddamit! Adapt ot leave, n00bs!
If I dont reply to you - I dont give a flying duck about your opinion

If you dont reply to me - I dont care either because I dont come back to see who replied to me
"
Wolfarus wrote:
"
Wispo wrote:
My proposal: NO EXP LOSS, but half exp gained for the next 24 hours per death. Because this is A GAME. And a game MUST >ENJOY< the player, not raise his rage over and over.

24 hours is too extreme, and punishes the players who dont have hours each day to play, though i like the basic idea.

Maybe 1/2 xp gain for an hour after death, with no xp loss. If you die 2 or more times before the initial hour is up, it simply resets to 1 hour.

If I were in my 70's+, that'd be enough for me to log off and let it expire while I watch Netflix or something--or play another game. Not sure it's the right approach. Maybe others wouldn't mind it as much. Then again, if I lose more than a quarter level in the same sitting while trying to get the same next level, I do that anyway, so I guess I have a bigger problem with the current system than I initially thought.

Exp loss is dumb. Not sure if death penalties should exist in SC (regardless of desync), but I don't think exp loss (or penalized exp gain) is a good solution; others think it's fine. It doesn't matter what game you play, more player options is almost always the best design direction. Alternate penalties seems like a better way to go--if they are even needed in the first place.

"Die your way to the top" is a stupid argument, and not even worth the effort to explain all the things wrong with it. A variation on what others have said: If you think death should be important, play HC.

Just to be clear, I am advocating that players get to choose to pay death penalties in exp or currency (but definitely not items). However, I'm open to the idea that maybe the death penalties may be entirely frivolous to begin with.
"
After some thought, this is what I would do for the softcore death penalty:
- no XP loss whatsoever
- you are completely barred from entering instances from your previous life (except towns).
- You lose all items in your inventory, but not anything worn or in your stash.

This prevents boss zerging for progression, adds a tension to each map ran, and helps players who don't die (their items have less competition on the market).

I'd revise that:

-You keep items in your inventory (because the risk of losing them greatly limits item swap options and makes managing high-quantity currencies like scrolls and scraps a pain in the ass)

-50% of map drops is put into a special "boss buffer" that is released when you kill the boss (so in other words you get less items if you don't kill the boss, you have to kill the boss to get the full map's worth of drops).

-XP penalty applies up until level 75 or 80.

End result: you still lose the map and a lot of items the map contains when you die, but you don't have to muss about with removing things from peoples' inventory. As an added bonus, it makes tough bosses more relevant and risky than simply "skip because I don't want to lose 5hrs leveling progress on a small slip-up".

I feel the act content syetm of an xp penalty is good in theory, it just suffers from really dodgy difficulty scaling (e.g. never worthwhile to enter a vaal area no matter how easily you are destroying the regular content).
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
Last edited by gilrad on Feb 7, 2015, 11:11:40 AM
Well the only thing I would eventually change is the ability to lose a lot of xp in quick sucsession. A simple solution is:

After dying your XP-Bar is switched with a bar consisting of 10% of your level-up xp which you have to remove until you get xp towards your level up again. This means you can never actually lose xp, dying during this just means you have to start over again. This would encourage people to actually try something without the fear of losing a lot of xp, since you can't actually lose more then 10% (you don't actually lose any xp, but not gaining them until you made 10% is the same). The system wouldn't be any different from the current one if you die after getting the 10% back, however if you try a boss you can easily lose 60% now, which would also be only 10% afterwards.
"
1988288 wrote:
"
Wispo wrote:
Because this is A GAME. And a game MUST >ENJOY< the player, not raise his rage over and over.

You know what's the good thing about hardcore games? They do not work in favor of player, I've always found Me >VS< Game much more enjoyable than cheap/instant-player gratification crap, or when games are holding your hand throughout. If you do not find this game fun, then please move onto one that does appeal to you, but do not ruin the fun for other people, I don't think it's too much to ask.

XP penalty is fine, if one is dying over and over again - it's a clear indication of ones own fault.

Do you wanna have fun dying? Very well: it seems to me that no one is stopping you from playing bloodlines and senseless dying e.g. by desync and losing your exile to standard ;) But YOU don't dare to ruin the fun for STANDARD players, imposing them YOUR vision of the game: standard people don't want to waste hours and hours of BORING exp grinding already done only because all of a sudden appears a yellow mob wich does 3k times the damage of the 99% of the rest of the content of a map ;)
"
Wolfarus wrote:
"
Wispo wrote:

Fantastic idea!!!! O.O Faaaaaar better than mine!!!! O.O Grats mate, really :) I sincerely hope we will have this change in QoL soon :)
"
Wispo wrote:
Do you wanna have fun dying? Very well: it seems to me that no one is stopping you from playing bloodlines and senseless dying e.g. by desync and losing your exile to standard ;) But YOU don't dare to ruin the fun for STANDARD players, imposing them YOUR vision of the game: standard people don't want to waste hours and hours of BORING exp grinding already done only because all of a sudden appears a yellow mob wich does 3k times the damage of the 99% of the rest of the content of a map ;)

It's hard for me to recall last desync death (excluding races), but even that death was due to my own fault, as my actions lead to desync happening. I always learn from my deaths, never put blame on desync or lag, as it does not help me to improve as a player.

I am not imposing my vision, the XP penalty already is here, plus it has been nerfed, yet people still cry about it, instead of revising their actions/builds. I am simply saying that XP penalty is fine as it is, what is not fine is you trying to dictate what is and what is not fun. It's very frustrating to see players with poorly built characters blaming game mechanics for being unbalanced or too harsh.

Post your build and items so we can see the reason you're advocating for XP-loss removal.
"I accept Nujabes as my Savior."
Last edited by 1988288 on Feb 7, 2015, 1:44:43 PM
"
Wispo wrote:
"
Wolfarus wrote:
"
Wispo wrote:

Fantastic idea!!!! O.O Faaaaaar better than mine!!!! O.O Grats mate, really :) I sincerely hope we will have this change in QoL soon :)

Don't hold your breath. GGG already turned this down way back in beta, stating that it wouldn't be a penalty as it would only encourage players to Do something else for an hour, or swap between characters until the duration expired.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
"
CanHasPants wrote:

Don't hold your breath. GGG already turned this down way back in beta, stating that it wouldn't be a penalty as it would only encourage players to Do something else for an hour, or swap between characters until the duration expired.

Thats why I feel it should be something linked to the character and can only be removed by actually playing that character. Anything else will just discourage people to play after a death while normally the opposite should be true.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info