Remove xp penalty's from death

I like the idea because it sort of makes sense. It's like you're weakened after a terrible injury.
Makes sense from a thematic standpoint, but I don't think it's a good gameplay mechanic. Especially if something like that were caused by an enemy that frequently desyncs (rare phase spiders, for example) and you end up dying a few times in succession.
After some thought, this is what I would do for the softcore death penalty:
- no XP loss whatsoever
- you are completely barred from entering instances from your previous life (except towns).
- You lose all items in your inventory, but not anything worn or in your stash.

This prevents boss zerging for progression, adds a tension to each map ran, and helps players who don't die (their items have less competition on the market).
Last edited by NeverPlaysRarelyPosts on Feb 7, 2015, 4:02:31 AM
"
After some thought, this is what I would do for the softcore death penalty:
- no XP loss whatsoever
- you are barred from entering instances from your previous life.
- You lose all items in your inventory, but not anything worn or in your stash.

This prevents boss zerging for progression, adds a tension to each map ran, and helps players who don't die (their items have less competition on the market).

I think people rather have the XP loss then currency\stash\map loss.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
goetzjam wrote:

I think people rather have the XP loss then currency\stash\map loss.

I have to agree, but mostly on the grounds that automatically losing those things sucks, but choosing one over exp--or choosing exp--is better.
I suspect anyone playing the market more than trying to level would prefer the current death penalty, while someone trying to level more than playing the market would prefer mine.

If so, as intended. No need to give players a choice between two penalties; everyone in the market except the dead player would prefer the item-based penalty be applied to the other guy. 0 or 1 votes for one option, a multitude for the other.
Last edited by NeverPlaysRarelyPosts on Feb 7, 2015, 4:29:48 AM
Yeah, about that assumption, I can't envision a scenario where I like the idea of using your version. Doesn't matter if I'm leveling or trading. Seems like a malicious thing to wish on another person as well.
I like the idea except for one thing which would mess it up for me. I'd feel the need to portal to town whenever I find something worth keeping, just to eliminate the risk of losing it.
And even if I don't there would always be the question. Should I? Should I wait? I don't think this would make for good, fun gameplay.

edit: Another thing is that people could just circumvent the loot loss by picking things up only after the instance is cleared. That leaves only the instance to be shut down after death. But I think that is a really good idea.
Last edited by Jojas on Feb 7, 2015, 6:37:22 AM
I read STUPID things like items lossing after death. Ridicolous.
My proposal: NO EXP LOSS, but half exp gained for the next 24 hours per death. Because this is A GAME. And a game MUST >ENJOY< the player, not raise his rage over and over.
"
Wispo wrote:
Because this is A GAME. And a game MUST >ENJOY< the player, not raise his rage over and over.

You know what's the good thing about hardcore games? They do not work in favor of player, I've always found Me >VS< Game much more enjoyable than cheap/instant-player gratification crap, or when games are holding your hand throughout. If you do not find this game fun, then please move onto one that does appeal to you, but do not ruin the fun for other people, I don't think it's too much to ask.

XP penalty is fine, if one is dying over and over again - it's a clear indication of ones own fault.
"I accept Nujabes as my Savior."
Last edited by 1988288 on Feb 7, 2015, 7:02:51 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info