Rain and Load Times

"
DestroTheGod wrote:
Ok, as somebody who is extremely heavily inconvenienced by rain, I'm the expert to chime in on this subject here. When I enter raining areas, there is a SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT loading experience for me. Here are facts for me:

- When I load into a rainy map, the grace period timer frequently expires by the time that I get into the map. I think it goes without saying, but, this is a serious death risk.

- Loading into rainy maps can occasionally be so buggy/long (I'm not sure what would be the best word to describe this) that I am disconnected from the game and sent to the login screen. If you can imagine, in 6-man parties, this can be really annoying as I won't have a portal to get back into the map.

Docks, Pier, Courtyard, Shipyard you name it.

I don't know what system you guys tested on, or what left you with those conclusions, but if I could loan you my laptop, you would say 'holy shit this is annoying' every time you try to join a rainy map.

The cause, reasoning, what is going on, I have no idea. Maybe it's something specific to my system or having integrated graphics? I don't know. I've already gotten over this issue and just play around it (as I have had no choice).

instead of blaming the game u should look into a neqw laptop/pc then. its not up to the devs to lower the standards, its up to u to get a pc that can play a game. there is NO dif for me, rain or no rain.
"
Mudfall wrote:
"
DestroTheGod wrote:
Ok, as somebody who is extremely heavily inconvenienced by rain, I'm the expert to chime in on this subject here. When I enter raining areas, there is a SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT loading experience for me. Here are facts for me:

- When I load into a rainy map, the grace period timer frequently expires by the time that I get into the map. I think it goes without saying, but, this is a serious death risk.

- Loading into rainy maps can occasionally be so buggy/long (I'm not sure what would be the best word to describe this) that I am disconnected from the game and sent to the login screen. If you can imagine, in 6-man parties, this can be really annoying as I won't have a portal to get back into the map.

Docks, Pier, Courtyard, Shipyard you name it.

I don't know what system you guys tested on, or what left you with those conclusions, but if I could loan you my laptop, you would say 'holy shit this is annoying' every time you try to join a rainy map.

The cause, reasoning, what is going on, I have no idea. Maybe it's something specific to my system or having integrated graphics? I don't know. I've already gotten over this issue and just play around it (as I have had no choice).

instead of blaming the game u should look into a neqw laptop/pc then. its not up to the devs to lower the standards, its up to u to get a pc that can play a game. there is NO dif for me, rain or no rain.

I wonder if people complaining about the rain in POE also play any other newer games that came out last year or this year because i bet they can just as well post the same thing on any game forum then because their PCs are shit they want game companies to lower the specs.

I hope GGG adds rain storms to zones and in a future act some snowstorms too.
So the loading time results were all within 1% of each other.. That's fine, but was this compared against other zone loading times, or against a "wraeclast-wide" average loading time?

I would love to see the raw data for this "experiment". Is there even a control?
"
dandan88 wrote:
So the loading time results were all within 1% of each other.. That's fine, but was this compared against other zone loading times, or against a "wraeclast-wide" average loading time?

I would love to see the raw data for this "experiment". Is there even a control?

Post it again and I report you. Imagine how it would look like if everyone who has an unquoted post here would post it again for visibility.
"

I wonder if people complaining about the rain in POE also play any other newer games that came out last year or this year

Those games have options to tone/turn down particle effects.
Last edited by i8037 on Jan 28, 2015, 5:32:38 AM
Although I don't want to overlook performance issues in PoE, we have to keep in mind that a lot of people will try their hardest to always blame an external cause for their issues, and the answers made to this post are an obvious example of that. It will never be on their end, ever. You can provide all the objective data you can possibly gather, they will stick to what is nothing more than a subjective feeling. I'm also always amazed when people post their specs or screenshots here or on PoE subreddit, it's like some of them expect to run PoE on an Amiga 500.

Some people here are also mixing two different things up : this topic is only related to load times, not the performance issues when you're actually playing in the map.
IGN : @Morgoth
Last edited by Morgoth2356 on Jan 28, 2015, 5:52:54 AM
It sort of feels like a smoke clone to me.
None of my friends quit because of long loading times. They quit because of poor game performance.

So I appreciate this info (I really do) but you know, the elephant in the room is still there.
"
Morgoth2356 wrote:
Although I don't want to overlook performance issues in PoE, we have to keep in mind that a lot of people will try their hardest to always blame an external cause for their issues, and the answers made to this post are an obvious example of that. It will never be on their end, ever. You can provide all the objective data you can possibly gather, they will stick to what is nothing more than a subjective feeling. I'm also always amazed when people post their specs or screenshots here or on PoE subreddit, it's like some of them expect to run PoE on an Amiga 500.

Some people here are also mixing two different things up : this topic is only related to load times, not the performance issues when you're actually playing in the map.

its always someone else. Someone falls down on the sidewalk, its not their fault, must have been something there from someone else that made them fall. This is the mentality of a lot of people these. Its quite sad. Look elsewhere first and only, never at yourself, thats how it is now. Not for me, if i made a mistake i take the heat for it, if my PC cant handle a game i lower the specs and look online for solutions.

BTW, i think its pathetic how people treat a game dev, who takes the time to respond to them openly. The responses to this thread is why GGG doesnt post more here than on reddit, its all just hateful bullshit people throw around. Funny thing is, if we were all in an actual room together everyone would be so much about kissing ass right now it wouldnt even be funny. Its always like that, talk crap online because you dont see them but in person, not a bad word, just nice things because all of a sudden you got your real name and face out there. GGG should introduce a real face avatar policy and a real name policy, maybe people stop doing this hate crap.
"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
"
dandan88 wrote:

Post it again and I report you. Imagine how it would look like if everyone who has an unquoted post here would post it again for visibility.

Except my post has valid concerns about the method used. Other peoples posts are shitty QQ posts.
"
Can i say i told you so? I never had issues with any rain in this game, in fact it makes for good immersion. Thanks for clarifying it to the ones that still play on PCs from 1997 or people who play on laptops or people who play with 200 dollar potato PCs. 500 euro PC here, good enough for POE, rain or not.

Assuming that it's not an issue just because you don't have it is a flawed and dumb assumption. People with high-end machines have the issue. I had it with my comp built late 2011 / early 2012 that cost more than your 500...

But hey lets keep the victim blame going so the issue won't be fixed for another couple of years.
In game contact @MajorAsshole

Challenge T-Shirt: 4/6 | Full Challenge Totems: 21/27

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info