Rain and Load Times

For a while now, players have been saying that if an area has rain, it takes longer to load. This isn't true, because there's nothing additional to load. However, players kept insisting that areas with rain loaded slower than areas without. The frequently cited example was The Crossroads, which received rain at some point in the last year.

As part of the quality of life improvement process, we investigated the effects of rain on load times.

Our test involved enabling or disabling rain in The Crossroads on a copy of 1.3.0l (the current live version of the game) and measuring how long it took to load the area. This was repeated several times and was averaged. All tests were performed with a cold filesystem cache. We then repeated it with a warm cache just in case, but it didn't affect the results.

Rain made no noticeable difference to the load time of the area. The values were all within 1% of each other, with no clear winner.

This prompted the question: Why do people think that the areas are slower to load when rain is present? We believe it's because that at the time that The Crossroads had rain added, we also added a lot of new terrain assets to the area (the abandoned buildings, etc). The load time went up at the same time rain was added, but not because of the rain.

It's absolutely true that rain does cause additional graphical overhead when rendering frames. We're looking at ways to reduce this! I just wanted to address the load time issue in particular in this post.

On a side note, we have already made some improvements to how sound is handled that will yield both a smaller client footprint and also slightly faster load times. The sound changes are scheduled for the next expansion. Other QOL/performance features may be released earlier, depending on how compatible they are with 1.3.x.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Last edited by Chris on Jan 27, 2015, 7:56:45 PM
"
It's absolutely true that rain does cause additional graphical overhead when rendering frames. We're looking at ways to reduce this!

How about an option to turn rain and particle effects off?
That'd fix it.
Vote +1 to change Path of Exile to Path of Nerfs.
We hate to say, but ProjectPT was right.
A recent article on Rain in games. A good read

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/27/how-did-they-do-satellite-reigns-rain/

"
The rain is a particle effect,” explains Waller. “Each drop is a different particle, but we’re not actually drawing them too far into the world. It would be far too expensive to draw all those particles. Instead, there are lots of different layers to the effect. There’s a screen of particles that sit in front of the camera – that’s what you have for those individual droplets that you see streaking past. And then behind that there are a few occasional very large particles, which we call ‘rain sheets’. If you look at footage of a rainstorm you’ll see individual droplets and, often in addition, big sprays where a gust of wind has caught a heap of rain and blown it across, so you get these thicker masses of rain within the downpour.

Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on Jan 27, 2015, 8:01:05 PM
Thx for doing this Chris.

GGg on sir's.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Nice. Always good to see updates on QoL stuff :)

Thanks Chris.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
Interesting. Glad to see GGG looking in to this type of stuff.
Ok, as somebody who is extremely heavily inconvenienced by rain, I'm the expert to chime in on this subject here. When I enter raining areas, there is a SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT loading experience for me. Here are facts for me:

- When I load into a rainy map, the grace period timer frequently expires by the time that I get into the map. I think it goes without saying, but, this is a serious death risk.

- Loading into rainy maps can occasionally be so buggy/long (I'm not sure what would be the best word to describe this) that I am disconnected from the game and sent to the login screen. If you can imagine, in 6-man parties, this can be really annoying as I won't have a portal to get back into the map.

Docks, Pier, Courtyard, Shipyard you name it.

I don't know what system you guys tested on, or what left you with those conclusions, but if I could loan you my laptop, you would say 'holy shit this is annoying' every time you try to join a rainy map.

The cause, reasoning, what is going on, I have no idea. Maybe it's something specific to my system or having integrated graphics? I don't know. I've already gotten over this issue and just play around it (as I have had no choice).
Last edited by DestroTheGod on Jan 27, 2015, 8:19:48 PM
Thanks for the insights Chris.

However, I think the greatest performance issues requiring testing is the FPS performance, primarily in parties with intensive particle effects, but it can also vary in solo play.

Personally, I've never had an issue with load time variance, except for the client seeming becoming "stuck" on loading a random zone and taking minutes to load at times. Often requiring me to hard shutdown (not ideal) my PC to hopefully prevent a HC death.

Looking forward to the continued improvement of the game, both via QoL changes and Act 4. :)

Keep up the good work.
Chris Wilson: "Today was the proudest day of my life."
THANK YOU CHRIST WILSON
"
DestroTheGod wrote:

I don't know what system you guys tested on, or what left you with those conclusions, but if I could loan you my laptop, you would say 'holy shit this is annoying' every time you try to join a rainy map.

Have you always played POE on that same laptop? Have you played it on any other systems and experienced the same issue?

I see you joined in May 2012... if you've been using your laptop for those 2 and 1/2 years it is quite a long time to be using the same piece of hardware, especially for a laptop.

Cheers.
Chris Wilson: "Today was the proudest day of my life."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info