Rain and Load Times

"
Rynphos wrote:
It's not that the zone takes longer to load.

Uh, I didn't see him quoting you when responding, so I'm pretty sure Chris is addressing the issue exactly as he explained it, and not to the issue you think he is. Lots of people have reported that rain being in a zone causes it to load slower.
wow, you really didn't read my e-mails reporting the real cause of CPU loads in rainy areas? WOW! Maybe I should post the data somewhere else than your mailbox then. Mad.
Playing with 70-80ms ping, which is causing long loading between zones,
resulting in 2-4 minutes disadvantage in 1 hour races.
(I was wrong, it wasn't a ping issue but something else on GGG side)
I tried PoE with 3D Vision glasses. It was incredible but Nvidia's buggy drivers kept giving me the blue screen of death so I took them back.

GGG is planning ahead by processing everything in 3D. They could easily use 2D overlay rain and other effects but then they would have to redo them when 3D viewing becomes common.

The game is not poorly optimized. It's just ahead of the curve.
Berek's Grip Ice Spear
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/780707
Budget Magicfind and/or Hardcore Flame Totem
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1211543
I'm not sure what it is about rainy zones, but every time I take in excess of 15-30 seconds to load a map, it is inevitably a zone with rain in it.
"
kefirhl wrote:
wow, you really didn't read my e-mails reporting the real cause of CPU loads in rainy areas? WOW! Maybe I should post the data somewhere else than your mailbox then. Mad.

You can't post it here?
"
Necrogue wrote:
I tried PoE with 3D Vision glasses. It was incredible but Nvidia's buggy drivers kept giving me the blue screen of death so I took them back.

GGG is planning ahead by processing everything in 3D. They could easily use 2D overlay rain and other effects but then they would have to redo them when 3D viewing becomes common.

The game is not poorly optimized. It's just ahead of the curve.

nope, but nice joke
"
uebermann wrote:
"
kefirhl wrote:

You can't post it here?

I didn't want to encourage people to editing game files... and violating game ToE
Playing with 70-80ms ping, which is causing long loading between zones,
resulting in 2-4 minutes disadvantage in 1 hour races.
(I was wrong, it wasn't a ping issue but something else on GGG side)
i love how chris personally comes on here lets us know they are constantly checking on things. i remember once during a zeno stream where zeno called up to order a pizza for ggg staff and chris(t) himself answered at reception.

tl;dr - these guys are doing everything in their power to help us all and i find it admirable that he post this

<3
i like big crits and i cannot lie, you otha brothas cant denyyy....
Problem isn't rain. Problem is you have an unlimited amount of particles happening on your screen.

Your character is already attacking super fast and with a LMP/GMP gem, then you have countless corpses laying on the ground (mobs don't lose their particles effects when dead), countless gear laying on the ground, countless mobs attacking you (more particles), then burning/desecrate ground. Basically, this is Path of Exile when you find a pack on a map.

Your CPU can't handle that. Specially a game that doesn't support multithread. Unless GGG impose some limits of how many things can be processed, FPS will always be this mess. This happened with Diablo 3, on some extent. They tone down pack density/particles on the 360/PS3 version due to hardware.

Also, a test made on a PC specifically built to make games isn't fair. Try to run the same test on a low-mid end PC with AMD chips.
But chris. There is almost definitely an overhead loading all of the information required for rain, and displaying the game in general, into the vram. There will be time required to load textures into the video card, and tons of cache misses, for a few ms. Just because it is running instructions doesn't mean it necessarily has the ram resources it needs at this point yet, right? I think it is entirely possible that players with lower end video cards are not loading the actual game slower, but perhaps the video card has a noticeably longer delay loading the first few frames, given the additional overhead of loading rain particle texture stuffs.

source: I'm supposed to be a computer engineer, technically, but i'm a green ass first year 'Software Engineer I' yuppy and also i write firmware on small embedded devices, not games on big ol fancy computers. But i know enough to make an ass of myself.

Also i have a gtx780 and never have any problems with rain or this game in general. This one dudes coc build one time might have dipped me below 50fps on max settings once...
Last edited by PlsGoDieThx on Jan 27, 2015, 11:27:25 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info