Rain and Load Times

I had this issue before I simply gave up on waiting for GGG to fix it and spent my money, that I had planned to spend on a GM pack, on upgrading my MB and CPU instead.

The problem lies in the CPU being overloaded when entering zones with rain, if you enter and just stand around until it catches up and keep farming the same map type or zone the issue goes away. If you go to trade in-between bouncing through A1N for example you're stuck waiting out the overloading once again when you return.

And I don't know what you added to Shipyard or Mountain ledge for example other than the rain to cause these issues, zones I had no problems with before the addition of rain. So that you draw the conclusion that it's due to adding stuff to some zones that also got rain makes little sense.

Unrelated note that keeps bothering me btw Chris, sound not loading when starting the game up. Had it across two motherboards, two CPU's, 3 sound cards...and it still persists. Would be nice if you could look in to that as well.
In game contact @MajorAsshole

Challenge T-Shirt: 4/6 | Full Challenge Totems: 21/27
"
Cookie_Puss wrote:
We need an option to disable/lower particles. This is something that most games like this have...and this option should have been implemented at the start of the game.

+1

"Fixing the endgame was hard - No matter how hard we buffed red maps, people would keep spamming Gorges.
So we turned Gorge into a red map"
"
Chris wrote:

On a side note, we have already made some improvements to how sound is handled that will yield both a smaller client footprint and also slightly faster load times. The sound changes are scheduled for the next expansion. Other QOL/performance features may be released earlier, depending on how compatible they are with 1.3.x.

too late, probably too little, but at least something.
my expectations decreased over time. to a point where I'm actually hyped at the bolded parts.
at least you guys are doing something, instead of denying there is a problem or putting it at the end of your priority queue.

and you know what else I'm hyped about?
"
Chris wrote:
Our test involved enabling or disabling rain in The Crossroads on a copy of 1.3.0l

I'd like to be able to do that too, please.
rain. particles. number of visible corpses my GPU needs to render. graphical detail of stuff on the ground. map and shader cache... anything that would allow me to customize my instance of the game, to make it playable for me.

and then, hopefully by year 2300, I expect you guys to actually fucking fix whatever it is that makes my GPU scream in pain, my hard drive say "fuck it I give up. replace me with an SSD", and my network connection to slap me across the face with every single packet lost.
I really don't care if it's rain, snow or just a bunch of poorly written functions.
find it. fix it.
I promise I'll buy as many god damned shiny wings as it takes, if you do.
the ones you are probably working on right now, instead of finding and fixing.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Jan 28, 2015, 2:16:11 AM
"
Chris wrote:
"
DestroTheGod wrote:
The cause, reasoning, what is going on, I have no idea. Maybe it's something specific to my system or having integrated graphics? I don't know. I've already gotten over this issue and just play around it (as I have had no choice).

The machine I tested on also has integrated graphics (Intel HD 5000).

Although Chris states that the machine he runs on has intergrated graphics, he didn't mention whether the test was done on intergrated graphics.

For me, I run this game on a laptop, connected to a 30inch Dell on 2560x1600 (4k) resolution) using intergrated graphics.

No problems with rain.
POE is a constantly evolving game, so expect balance changes, buffs and nerfs STILL!
If it's not the rain then we need to find the other common factor that only Docks, Barracks, Gardens, RainyCrossroads and Upper Sceptre share.

Has anyone noticed that the Crossroads loading goes away during the Darkness? Initial Crossroads loadtimes for me were 45 seconds down to 10 seconds(About 10 instances here and further on), then 30 seconds down to 10 seconds later in the day. Break the Seal and the rain goes away. Next day, so cold cache, 10 second initial load down to 3, later in the day 5 seconds down to near instant. Kill Vaal, come back next day and it's back to 40 second loadings.

So it might not be rain. But rain certainly shows up in only the slowest of zones.

For reference, Lunaris 3, Solaris 2, Marketplace and all the other big but not raining zones take 10 seconds to load cold, usually 2-5 seconds once the game is going.
BreakingHearts/RhoaHood/BackAndVeryLate (Standard) | HushtailSweep/HushtailWeeps (Ancestor)
Last edited by SilentOppressor on Jan 28, 2015, 2:32:21 AM
sad stuff is - without that famous reddit post nothing in the QoL department would have ever moved. ever.

Are you serious, you chose crossroads?

I'm pretty sure nearly everyone who has issues loading rainy areas will be effected by docks / pier the most.

How about testing that zone instead?
adania/93 --- ElementalNecro/91 --- GwanSauceMan/90
ScionFakeWitch/88 --- WikiWikiWitch/87 --- LArrowToTheKnee/83
Lethal_Injection/80
[b color="#FE2EC8"][b color="#FFAC12"][/b]
So the loading time results were all within 1% of each other.. That's fine, but was this compared against other zone loading times, or against a "wraeclast-wide" average loading time?

I would love to see the raw data for this "experiment". Is there even a control?
I just don't know why GGG insist on "solving" this rainy problem, instead just release the option to

disable the raining effect first? GGG could release the enable/disable option first, and then try to

solve the core problem. If GGG could not find the solution soon, what is the reason not to let us

disable the raining effect? In my opinion the priority should be much high. By the way I think it

does cause the desync problem more frequently in the raining zone. The raining causes your fps

dropping more, you will get desync more frequently for sure.
Last edited by newcomer521 on Jan 28, 2015, 3:02:09 AM
Give us more graphical options! To disable item names on the ground, to turn off rain and things like this.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info