Rain and Load Times

"
Chris wrote:

It's absolutely true that rain does cause additional graphical overhead when rendering frames. We're looking at ways to reduce this! I just wanted to address the load time issue in particular in this post.

yea sure and we all already know how this will end. you either try to improve something with the engine or nothing will happen because lets face it giving players the option to tone down and disable particles/rain is so immersion destroying (lets just ignore the fact that people who would turn it off dont give a fuck about immersion anyway and just want to play with more than 5fps in public parties)
Last edited by Esto on Jan 28, 2015, 7:04:01 AM
"
Antistes wrote:
"
Redblade wrote:

It was 2 years old, not 4.

you said " late 2011 / early 2012".
It's early 2015.

So at least 3 years. That's still old for a PC

And I had the issue since the introduction of the rain until a few months ago...
In game contact @MajorAsshole

Challenge T-Shirt: 4/6 | Full Challenge Totems: 21/27
Here are my specs.
Spoiler
SYSTEM : Win 7 Pro 64bit
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70GHz
HDD : SSD Samsung 1TB
RAM : 16GB Quadcore DDR3
GRAPHICS : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690

I have no issues. I play with people who do. I'd like them to be able to disable particle effects and rain.
"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
I have no problems with the effects at all.

Good for you.
"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
Actually I love them, I play PoE on the highest settings possible and the game doesnt lag, neither is slow in heavy effect areas. It looks very very nice and cool and I love it.

You're the lucky one. And, basically, you can be called "an exception" (because of the total numbers of players who really have problems with the particles in PoE and all unoptimized effects in general)
"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
Every map or new locations are loading normally and fast enough within 2 seconds.

"I don't have the problem - there are no problem exist. You're all dreaming"
"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
People should learn to not play on toasters in modern days of the year 2015 and start finally using SSD's.

Breaking news! Not everyone can afford to spend a lot of money on the PC. Not to mention "to spend any money on the PC"
"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
The biggest joke for me is when I see someone with a few hundreds of dollars worth supporter pack complaining about how slow the game is and how long are the loadings when entering a new location with weather effect on.
Supporters playing on toasters, please set your priorities right

The only real argument in your post.
"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
and those who doesnt supported the game stop complaing at all. It is for free, you have no right to demand anything. Take it as it is.

They have all the rights to complain.
Simple IRL example: people, who are poor; you can't just toss spoiled food into their faces and yell "eat this and be happy!"
"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
You also dont complain to Blizzard to turn the effects off in D3 because you have a slow computer. Neither UBI to tune down Watch Dogs for example.

Oh really? You can. And should. The difference is that you won't possibly get what you want. That's the difference.
GGG is still providing "conversation". And solutions. And that's why they are better people :D
"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
Let me tell you a secret : it is your computer not the game's fault !

It's the gamecode's (particle implementation) fault that my computer can't handle "2003's graphics" in 2015. See the difference?
"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
"
Lordemore wrote:
But you GGG's are quite stubborn on keeping that rain despite almost everybody wishing for option to turn it off.

Please speak for yourself, I do not wish for an option to be able to turn off weather effects.

1) Please, speak for yourself. Oh yeah... You already did. "I have no problems on my SuperPC - no one should even think about complaining!"
2, bolded part) You could choose NOT TO TURN IT OFF. -_-
Not hard, isn't it?

Let people actually have the choice. Then we can speak about whether this game is good or not.
Remember, suffering is convenient.
That is why many people prefer it.
Happiness requires effort.
"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
Ofc it's not only you. There are a lot of people with slow and bad PC's which cant run the game properly.

Which doesn't change the fact that people with PC's that's not slow nor old having the issue.

"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
You said that your PC was build somewhere between 2011/2012 and its already 2015.

And the issue was introduced at the start of last league...not today.

"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
If your CPU is at 100 % when doing anything not just playing PoE then something is probably very wrong with your CPU. My CPU never ever reaches more than 30 - 35 % of load.

Never said this, it only went up to 100% when zoning in to a zone with rain.

"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
Answer me please three very simple questions :

1. ) Why you have this problem and I don't ?
2. ) What new games have you tried to run on your PC which were running smooth and on a very high settings ?
3. ) Post your specs finally so everyone can see that it's PoE's fault and not your PC's ?

1. ) If we knew that there wouldn't be an issue as I'm sure GGG would fix it then. Stupid and again victim blaming question.

2. ) Don't know about new but have player WoW, EvE-Online, Tera and a couple more and can't remember names of right now without any issues.

3. ) Don't have the same specs now so can't give you exact but an AMD CPU circa 2011/2012, 8GB ram, SSD, GTX 560ti (1280 version).

"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
We ( who doesnt have this problem with weather effects ) really want to believe you. Dont think I am here to blame any of you, just prove me wrong please that this issue is not PC related but GGG's fault.

Again you're asking for something I can't possibly give you as we don't know the cause...

I'll reiterate though, game working without any issues what so ever one day, patch the next introducing rain in multiple zones, game not working without issues in said zones.

Doesn't take higher levels of education to draw the conclusion that it's not PC related.

"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
Just because PoE doesnt have graphics like FarCry 4, doesnt mean you can run it on an old outdated PC like many of you think. Also note that PoE's performance on a 64 bit Windows is way better than on a 32 bit version. Your i7 wont save you if you have a low amount of RAM or a bad CPU cooling

But this is again not the case, I'm running on 64 bit and my PC wasn't that outdated. You will find the same to be true from other people with the same issue as well.

"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
Also please let me quote myself

"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
The biggest joke for me is when I see someone with a few hundreds of dollars worth supporter pack complaining about how slow the game is and how long are the loadings when entering a new location with weather effect on.
Supporters playing on toasters, please set your priorities right

You're again assuming they have shitty computers blaming them for the problem...
In game contact @MajorAsshole

Challenge T-Shirt: 4/6 | Full Challenge Totems: 21/27
So, it takes tons of bans and people using 3rd party software to make them to finally optimize the game a bit...which should have been investigated and fixed long ago.
"
HarukaTeno wrote:

"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
People should learn to not play on toasters in modern days of the year 2015 and start finally using SSD's.

Breaking news! Not everyone can afford to spend a lot of money on the PC. Not to mention "to spend any money on the PC"

That argument is soooo outdated. SSD's are now very cheap, in EU you can get 128Go quality SSD's for around 60-70€, that's 70-80$. Compared to the total amount people have to spend for a decent gaming setup (mostly GPU and CPU), it is like nothing. When someone wants to play video games on a PC, he's expecting to spend at least around 150-200$ on the GPU and around the same amount for his CPU. An SSD is so cheap compared to those mandatory pieces now. And sorry, but someone that can't afford "to spend any money on the PC" should not expect to run recent games and blaming the devs because of that. It's like blaming Sony or Microsoft because you can't spend money to buy their consoles but you want to play PS4 or XBox One games, it's like that retarded, yes.
IGN : @Morgoth
Last edited by Morgoth2356 on Jan 28, 2015, 7:48:11 AM
"
Barivius wrote:
Here are my specs.
Spoiler
SYSTEM : Win 7 Pro 64bit
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70GHz
HDD : SSD Samsung 1TB
RAM : 16GB Quadcore DDR3
GRAPHICS : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690

I have no issues. I play with people who do. I'd like them to be able to disable particle effects and rain.

Spoiler
SYSTEM : Win 7 Home Premium 64bit
CPU Processor : Intel Core i5-4690K CPU @ 4.6GHz
with Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler
SSD Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series (128GB)
RAM 16 (2x8GB) GB Kit (DDR3)
GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780

We should be able to reduce the particle effects of party members anyway, not only because of performance. It gets real ugly really fast and you can't really see a shit of what is going on when playing in party of 3+.

Also, it's not an issue I can't live with but I DO get framedrops (to 30fps or so for a couple of seconds) occasionally without GPU load going past 50-60%.

"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
You also dont complain to Blizzard to turn the effects off in D3 because you have a slow computer. Neither UBI to tune down Watch Dogs for example.
Let me tell you a secret : it is your computer not the game's fault !

Blizzard usually has very good graphical options such as reducing the particle effects of other players and significantly reducing the amount of particles rendered overall. Watch Dogs had shitty graphics on PC lol.
"
aldorus wrote:
And here we are again - those who do have performance issues are labeled guilty, without explicitly knowing their story, their background and skills.
Nothing new on this forum.

For a second - you all try to pretend that you know a thing or two about empathy. Now. If those players that were expelled for being guilty of having "non-compliant PC" instead of listening to their feedback - if those players instead of leaving would like, enjoy and support the game. Would it not benefit ALL of you?

So, now - admit it. Game performing poorly IS a problem of us all, no matter how "expensive" your rig really is as long as this game relies on players supporting the game.

We all know that this is a small company that decided to write their own engine. I respect that. It is having and will have performance issues, I accept that. I am just not convinced that everything that could be done to address performance has been done (particles are one fine example).

Are you serious? Post your PC specs if you got the rain load time problem, otherwise its just hot air.

And no, its not a problem for all of us, i can go to any damn rainy area in this game and have no issues whatsoever.

Hey, could I suggest that the problem with rainy areas is actually not graphical, but actually audio related?

I play on a decent gaming pc, and by decent I mean that I sit fairly solidly at 60fps during most gameplay, and even rainbownuke partymembers won't drop me below 20 or so. Load times are generally not an issue, HOWEVER, recently I started using a bluetooth headset and every time I load into an instance with rain, my audio would desync. I would hear it sputter for a second or two during the load screen, and then for the entire instance my audio would lag a couple of seconds behind. There would be no issue with the audio track itself, it would just be out of sync.

I found that the only solution would be to change my audio in the settings menu (after loading the instance) to my speakers, and then change it back to the bluetooth renderer. After doing that, it would be fine, and the rain would have no impact. The rest of the run during that instance would be as normal. The problem is purely in the initial load of an instance with rain.

I repeated this a LOT, tested with virtually every zone I could, and it was only ever those with rain. It got to the point that I would know simply by the audio sputter whether I was loading rain.

Now, it has been reported before that adding --nosound to the launcher can have a massive effect on load times and also fps issues in parties for a lot of players. Could this be another aspect of that? I think it might be worth you guys at GGG checking into it.
Last edited by Grimmhammer on Jan 28, 2015, 8:07:02 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info