Ranged Vs. Melee Disparity.

Melee = Facebreakers XD
The manliest possible build

Fought Xandro lately? Ground Slam is barely melee.
Although, not dissimilar, Reave with no Area of Effect modifiers is melee, you can barely hit a whole pack with it. If you can afford to use a link for an 20/20 AoE gem it does become ranged (and its great) :D.
IGN: Victory_Or_Sovngarde
It's not a 13 week development cycle, it's a 13 week supporter-pack cycle.
You can play any build you want, as long as it's the current meta.
Last edited by Ashen_Shugar_IV on Jan 22, 2015, 12:46:38 AM
I thought I listed a bunch of skills that are melee tag that still aren't really melee. Must have made the post too long.

But no, I do not consider those skills melee under some circumstances.

Bottom line if you can hit but not BE hit, you aren't melee for starters. Tbh there aren't many real melee skills even in poe but the ones that do exist are never used.

The rest of the pseudo melee are all kind of debatable on an individual basis and build by build. Cyclone is a melee skill but if you are offscreening mobs with cyclone because your range is 24 you aren't melee anymore.
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Jan 22, 2015, 7:29:15 AM
"
goetzjam wrote:
<snip>
I really wish GGG would release that video of the melee character (2 handed ideally) that they killed uber atziri with.

<snip>

You didn't look very hard, did you? It was a front page on the forums for like the latter half of last year.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1058950/page/1 Wasn't that hard to find. >.>
"But we still had a lot of fun, please don't think this comes from hate.
We bitch because we like you and we want you to be great!" ~Miracle of Sound
"
LostKavi wrote:
"
goetzjam wrote:
<snip>
I really wish GGG would release that video of the melee character (2 handed ideally) that they killed uber atziri with.

<snip>

You didn't look very hard, did you? It was a front page on the forums for like the latter half of last year.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1058950/page/1 Wasn't that hard to find. >.>

??. That is VictorDoom's video. Last I checked he was not part of GGG. He even writes himself:

"First off this fight is almost impossible without legacy kaoms, insane crit staff and acuities, GGG assured me that their testers did it with no legacy gear and no insane gear/acuities with 2h characters"

Goetzjam is asking to see this video by GGG.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Jan 22, 2015, 8:47:45 AM
"
Ceryneian wrote:
"
LostKavi wrote:
"
goetzjam wrote:
<snip>

<snip>

??. That is VictorDoom's video. Last I checked he was not part of GGG. He even writes himself:

"First off this fight is almost impossible without legacy kaoms, insane crit staff and acuities, GGG assured me that their testers did it with no legacy gear and no insane gear/acuities with 2h characters"

If you read Victor's thread, he states and explains that they didn't. Popular theory suggests that they never tested Uuber, and just checked regular atziri, because - and I'll say it again, considering you obviously didn't read the thread - the way they told him they did it, he tried it, with full legacy, with full acuities, with as close to best in slot shit as you can conceivably get your hands on...and he struggled. He really struggled and got through it with a lot of luck on not getting stunned in the flameblasts, or a bad-timed crit. There is NO utter WAY they tested uuber atziri with 2 handers without legacy stuff, because it is scarcely possible for an above average player, and COMEPLTELY impossible in the temporary leagues where those legacy items do not exist.
"But we still had a lot of fun, please don't think this comes from hate.
We bitch because we like you and we want you to be great!" ~Miracle of Sound
Last edited by LostKavi on Jan 22, 2015, 9:45:08 AM
"
LostKavi wrote:

If you read Victor's thread, he states and explains that they didn't. Popular theory suggests that they never tested Uuber, and just checked regular atziri, because - and I'll say it again, considering you obviously didn't read the thread - the way they told him they did it, he tried it, with full legacy, with full acuities, with as close to best in slot shit as you can conceivably get your hands on...and he struggled. He really struggled and got through it with a lot of luck on not getting stunned in the flameblasts, or a bad-timed crit. There is NO utter WAY they tested uuber atziri with 2 handers without legacy stuff, because it is scarcely possible for an above average player, and COMEPLTELY impossible in the temporary leagues where those legacy items do not exist.

I don't need to read his thread (although I read it before) because apparently you can't read my statement that GGG had told some streamers that it was possible to do uber atziri without legacy gear and they had done the fight themselves (assuming with an imported or custom character).

Further more we know that atziri (uber moreso) requires a specific set of defenses\gear\build that THE REST OF THE GAME DOESN'T NECESSARILY NEED. In terms of balance you can't just point fingers and say well my build can't do it i've tried and died but still did it. MOST people are not creative when it comes to doing content like this, people found a way to do it (low life spectral throw) it provides the best damage\survivability (cause flask and extra auras) to farm her efficiently. The entry cost alone to doing the map means people don't want to "waste" it by trying something that may or may not work.

Since llst was nerfed we see other builds do it, all ranged (because naturally gives you better positioning vs spells. Shatterchuck, rainbownuke, even "budget" puncture builds rose.

Furthermore when discussing melee vs ranged and balance everyone has a different imput on the subject, case and point that @Legatus1982 doesn't feel like builds that use melee skills for the damage themselves or ones that gain so much AoE\range that they aren't up front and personal with the mobs aren't melee, but by every definition they technically are.

Let me again point out the first HC uber kill was ONLY DONE because the first two boss fights were done by a MELEE character, the last fight specifically had another build (llst, cause flask charges\max res) Is this not proof enough that uber atziri specifically provides different challenges to where both melee and ranged have various advantages?
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
LostKavi wrote:
"
Ceryneian wrote:
"
LostKavi wrote:

No. Calm down. It is not about LUCK and the fight is not "COMPLETELY impossible" like you say. In his vid I see him dying when he takes flameblast or when he is trying to purposely tank and not move out of the way.

I believe GGG has done Uber Atziri with 2H melee. Just takes some brains to actually play well instead of just sitting like a cow trying to eat all the damage. Several 1H builds have done it with skills like Viper Strike and Double Strike.

I believe many other players can do Uber 2H melee but it is a massive cost so most cannot even access this content.

Again, I believe GGG has done Uber with 2H but I doubt they would show us the build or vid. Just because 1 guy posted a vid and said it was nearly impossible does not mean it is not possible.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Jan 22, 2015, 3:19:35 PM
"
Ceryneian wrote:

No. Calm down. It is not about LUCK and the fight is not "COMPLETELY impossible" like you say. In his vid I see him dying when he takes flameblast or when he is trying to purposely tank and not move out of the way.

I believe GGG has done Uber Atziri with 2H melee. Just takes some brains to actually play well instead of just sitting like a cow trying to eat all the damage. Several 1H builds have done it with skills like Viper Strike and Double Strike.

I believe many other players can do Uber 2H melee but it is a massive cost so most cannot even access this content.

Again, I believe GGG has done Uber with 2H but I doubt they would show us the build or vid. Just because 1 guy posted a vid and said it was nearly impossible does not mean it is not possible.

You seem to be missing the part where he did it with gear that no longer exists in the new leagues. Nobody else has done this with or without the gear that I know of, and there are plenty of streamers out there who would probably try if they could get a 2h character to survive long enough to do so.

As to your faith in GGG, these are the same people that brought you "reave is a dual wield skill", "DoT patch" that nerfed literally every DoT, "viper strike change" that turned viper strike into a skill nobody likes as much as the old version, and the list goes on. The intentions may be good but quite frequently the changes made are suboptimal. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, they say.
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Jan 22, 2015, 4:50:01 PM
Another night of melee getting wrecked. I've been playing only pubs on bloodlines with my freezer and so far I've seen 6 rips, all melee.

Tonight we had a party of 5 ranged and 1 melee guy, 2H clyconist with 7,2k health. Took toras mission and we didn't know about the vaal molten shell monkey. Of course, we had a light ball guy in the group, he spammed LB, melee guy was tanking the monkey, and boom, rip in less than 0,5seconds.

Felt like shit, been mapping with a guy for a while now.
„I don't give a fuck if it was his tenth anniversary with his goddamn neckbeard...“
„If they think I'm going to let them sweep this pizza guy thing under the rug...“
No mod action. Business as usual.
"
Odoakar wrote:
Another night of melee getting wrecked. I've been playing only pubs on bloodlines with my freezer and so far I've seen 6 rips, all melee.

Tonight we had a party of 5 ranged and 1 melee guy, 2H clyconist with 7,2k health. Took toras mission and we didn't know about the vaal molten shell monkey. Of course, we had a light ball guy in the group, he spammed LB, melee guy was tanking the monkey, and boom, rip in less than 0,5seconds.

Felt like shit, been mapping with a guy for a while now.

So lack of knowledge of challenges the game presents = melee sucks? Don't most melee builds play solo?

Not saying melee is perfect, but this is completely the melee person and the ranged persons fault for not knowing the challenge, nothing to do with melee vs ranged disparity.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info