Ranged Vs. Melee Disparity.

"
Poutsos wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

This is an ARPG. In designing it, a dev has only a soft control over how much damage characters do per hit, how fast they'll attack, and so on. The experience is ruined for all but the top 0.001% if you balance for the maximum possible damage values in the game. The "reeling" you suggest is practically impossible.

Diminishing returns.

You say that like it's magic.

RNGsaysame

- Damn, no effect >_<
IGN: Victory_Or_Sovngarde
It's not a 13 week development cycle, it's a 13 week supporter-pack cycle.
You can play any build you want, as long as it's the current meta.
Hi. I didn't read all the posts because there are so many pages, but I think I might just have the solution.

Add huge boosts to HP/HP regen/Resistances/Armor to melee weapons.

Boom. Solved.

Does it make sense? Absolutely not. But PoE isn't really a game about sense, is it?

Oh, and add this to Spectral Throw:

"All the miracle-solution defences newly implemented granted by your melee weapons are disabled while this gem is equipped."

There.

Naming those defences "Balls of Steel" would make them even more awesome.

Hear me GGG.
Last edited by LordSett on Mar 28, 2015, 1:53:38 AM
That solves nothing. Stopping it for spectral throw alone doesn't help.
Casters, totem users, trappers, minion masters, etc. can just equip a melee weapon and be awesome.
Yep, wouldn't work.

IGN: Victory_Or_Sovngarde
It's not a 13 week development cycle, it's a 13 week supporter-pack cycle.
You can play any build you want, as long as it's the current meta.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
]How?

Let's say you tuned monster HP in 78 maps such that, with every gear slot dedicated to bow damage and crit multiplier, and every passive tree choice dedicated to maximizing the same, and essentially perfect gear, an archer would still do at most 49% damage each against 3 monsters (on crits), ensuring at best a 3-shot kill for a small pack.

Now consider what a horrible experience it would be to attempt 78s with an archer without that perfect gear, with a passive tree which actually made sense, and without two lucky Vaal corruptions to get additional arrows.

This is an ARPG. In designing it, a dev has only a soft control over how much damage characters do per hit, how fast they'll attack, and so on. The experience is ruined for all but the top 0.001% if you balance for the maximum possible damage values in the game. The "reeling" you suggest is practically impossible.

The proper balance method is not reining in numbers, but reining in shapes. A dev might not be able to control damage per hit very well, but controlling monsters hit per use of a particular skill, that's far more feasible. It's easier for devs to meet character progression expectations by controlling the availability of increased AoE mods, additional projectile mods, etc, than it is to prevent players from improving their DPS.

Thus, it's really all about skill balance. As the man said, a 100 million DPS Dual Strike is crap compared to a 10k DPS Tornado Shot. And the key to ranged vs melee balance is making sure melee gets some great skills that reward it for spending time getting close - and reward it with nice multiple-hit AoE - while ranged lacks access to the shapes melee can use.

Tornado Shot's OPness is based not on it's damage numbers, but a much more simple thing: how many projectiles it can fire, and the patterns it can fire them in.

You are using an example that is an extreme of what could happen with what I am advocating. The character you designed, should be able to one shot trash mobs. He has sacrificed everything to be a glass cannon. Its also incredibly likely that he will get killed by a game mechanic at some point due to his lack of defenses. That is proper balance.

This is balancing the baseline damage, which has the effect of balancing top end damage. My changes have no where near the effect that the extreme example you used have. What I am proposing does not destroy builds, it merely makes it so you have to invest to get closer to top end dps.

Bows doing more damage then top end 1H weapons is a serious balance issue.

Also, Tornado Shot is good because it can shotgun. "Next Delay" like in D2 could fix that without absolutely gutting the skill.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right!" Henry Ford
Last edited by Jackel6672 on Mar 28, 2015, 4:55:03 AM
"
Jackel6672 wrote:

Bows doing more damage then top end 1H weapons is a serious balance issue.

Also, ranged can move and do damage in same time + dodge manually any source of damage + they can kite and other good stuff that melee can not do.
CROSS-LEAGUE TRADING: pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1418564

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info