Melee is the worst bullshit ever in poe

Resistance flask vs volatile I guess. If you're really scared portal out and get the corresponding flask. I also believe every melee char should carry some kind of ranged attack for emergencies.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Resistance flask vs 'added different element' works wonders

And 'ranged attack for emergencies' is perfect melee diagnosis
they just dont 1 shot a char with decent life and defenses. Some of the tora mobs were bursting people to death in horrible ways and that was nerfed. The only one thats actually a real danger to a char with decent defenses is the exile with minion instability, you just have to outplay her and be aware. If you let your screen descend into chaos where you are not in control then you are asking for trouble, have patience and play better is the answer if you are dying like that.

Desync doesnt increase the damage you take. Heres how it works, the enemy aims at your location, you move, the shot misses. It doesnt matter if your location on the server is different to your location on the screen, as long as you moved you are not longer where the mob was hitting. On the server you could be walking right into the middle of where you are seeing the boss slamming, that doesnt matter because he is slamming where you were standing before you moved, as long as you moved far enough to escape his aoe that was centered on you its fine. Desync effects everyone, not seeing stuff under water effects everyone. Desync deaths happen but such is life, happens to all classes regardless, doesnt mean theres anything that needs fixed with melee.
"
sidtherat wrote:

having melee level defenses to cope with the inevitable swarms of mobs you will get toe to toe with is also the perfect range diagnosis. Melee chars can easily achieve having a ranged attack, very few ranged characters can achieve having melee level defenses though. Proper melee defenses that is, not whatever you guys are playing thats obviously not working at all.
I've been hit by a volatile blood for in excess of 8k HP (I survived luckily), this was with both a ruby and a topaz flask up AND a party member had just popped a Vaal Discipline...... I got lucky, for real.

In a party it can get really hard to see shit like this as a melee unless you feel like "leeching" and staying out of packs. In fact, I did not even see the volatile monster but popping defensive flasks as you engage is simply good practice and basically mandatory if you aspire to level 100.

IGN: Victory_Or_Sovngarde
It's not a 13 week development cycle, it's a 13 week supporter-pack cycle.
You can play any build you want, as long as it's the current meta.
Last edited by Ashen_Shugar_IV on Jan 2, 2015, 6:13:38 AM
@Snorkle

You mention several times over your last posts having "melee level defences".
By your own admission you state that melee require higher levels of defence than ranged. Nobody is able to conjure these defences out of thin air, and therein lies the issue.
The cost of the requisite defences heightens the disparity.

EDIT:

Re: Desync
Just because it happens to everyone does not mean that all are equally vulnerable to the same extent. You know this.
IGN: Victory_Or_Sovngarde
It's not a 13 week development cycle, it's a 13 week supporter-pack cycle.
You can play any build you want, as long as it's the current meta.
Last edited by Ashen_Shugar_IV on Jan 2, 2015, 6:26:14 AM
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
Legatus1982 wrote:

As for the first 5 nodes, I don't think you fully understand the damage potential of plain "Phys damage" nodes. I am one-shotting bosses in a2 merc with 2x wicked golden kris.
And I've only got like 15 or so points in damage.

I deeply thank GGG for giving me these nodes.

lol, after all our talks so far you really think I dont understand something like phys damage on a phys damage build? Thats amusing. I do own a few knives, I know what they do.

the build thing you posted is interesting, I like the idea as a concept, its fun and thematic. I do however look at it and think "this guy is going to die". You like those phys nodes but you arnt looking at point efficiency.

The first 5 nodes of the shadow give you 57% phys damage, for 5 nodes. You also take Master Force, which costs you 6 nodes for 40% phys damage. Flaying however, that you didnt take, is 4 nodes and gives you 54% phys damage + 19% attack speed. So those 4 nodes you didnt pick up are probably worth double the dps of the 5 node investment at the shadow start and the 6 node investment under it. I fully understand what phys damage does for daggers, I just know bad point spending when I see it. The Ranger starts with life + evasion and they're efficient nodes. If you compare Hired Killer and Melding to Herbalism, Thick Skin, Revenge Of The Hunted etc that you didn't take you are getting much less out of your points.

Thing with CoD, EB+AA and Dual Curse, these are Caster defenses, aka, really bad defenses that in no way compete with the robust melee defenses in the bottom of the tree but are the only thing on hand for a Caster build that is forced to stick to the top of the tree for its damage. This is on purpose, so is your build having 150% life where a melee living middle to bottom of the tree is getting 180%, casters have a distinct disadvantage survivability wise, and so does your particular melee build. So goetzjam does have a point, the builds you play are relevant because they are responsible for your take on melee. If you play melee builds that rely on weak Caster defenses, skipping good Melee defenses, then complain Melee is underpowered compared to Casters survivability wise... you must see that right?

Dual dagger for melee is not that great man, you really want a shield in most cases unless you are stacking ridiculous defenses, which you're not. Now I'm not saying you build is bad, I actually like it and I like that pick a theme and go with it sort of mentality. The shadow is es+ev so use them both etc. But I feel that if you want to make a really tough, survivable, high damage dagger melee you go Ranger, you take a shield, use a Lightning Coil, Acrobatics, Ondars, take all the life and regen nodes from duelist and span up to the Shadow area for Adders Touch and Nightstalker, run Grace + Hatred. You're going to have more life, way more defenses, more damage. I dont believe everyone should always do the most optimum thing, you should have fun, but you got to understand GGG are going to balance the game around what can be done. Theres a lot of possibility for really tanky, high damage melee characters, they have to balance the game from the presumption that the player is trying to be as effective as possible within his means.

It looks like you know what you're talking about, but you still missed the effectiveness of plain phys damage nodes, which is the main reason I made sure to grab all of them (except the ridiculous out of reach ones near marauder). There's an important reason why I spend points on crit/crit damage and generic phys damage and not on melee physical damage in the dagger nodes.

As for my defenses, I'd very much like to grab more life on the tree but there just aren't that many life nodes at the top. I'll probably go down to templar and grab his life nodes past level 80, so the build will finish (at 100) with about 180% life and, probably, those dagger damage nodes you mentioned (because there aren't any regular phys damage nodes left to grab).

More importantly, your fear for caster defenses is misplaced. They are by far the most effective mitigation.
The not-insignificant defenses I'll be stacking include: 30% reduction to all from MoM, 16% reduction to all from endurance charges (+1 oak), god-like status from enfeeble including 29% reduction to all, (+ 35% reduced mob accuracy (50% with quality), 35% reduced crit chance, 35% reduced crit multi at lvl 35) near-permanent bonus 6k armor and ev (surgeon flasks on crit build), ~30% evasion from gear, 21% block, flat reduction to phys and fire from AA, and permafrozen mobs due to hatred on a crit build. The first three things alone on that list stack for more than 58% reduced damage of all types, and that's before AA, evasion/accuracy, freeze, and flask applies. Mobs are at least chilled all the time (30% less damage output over time) and thanks to dual curses enfeeble can be up all the time, and if necessary, temp chains as well. And passive life leech is constantly putting my HP back up to full without the need for a gem slot. I have a video of myself literally facetanking a blue devourer pack in 1.1.0 and that was before charges were easier to get thanks to vengeance + charge on melee stun. It was also before I had dual curses in the build. I don't know too many builds that can do that.
Mom by itself basically multiplies my life pool by 1.3, easily making up for missing hp from tree. In most cases by the time AA applies I am taking literally 0 actual damage. It's not really relevant though since they're all permafrozen anyways.

As for whether this has any bearing on melee's viability, it does not, as many have told you already the problem with melee is not normal gameplay. Its the random miracle stacking bullshit that kills people, which all characters are vulnerable to melee or not, regardless of build or gear, and melee is always more vulnerable to that.
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Jan 2, 2015, 7:28:30 AM
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:

having melee level defenses to cope with the inevitable swarms of mobs you will get toe to toe with is also the perfect range diagnosis. Melee chars can easily achieve having a ranged attack, very few ranged characters can achieve having melee level defenses though. Proper melee defenses that is, not whatever you guys are playing thats obviously not working at all.

you get swarmed with mobs as ranged only if your dps or skill is not up to par. sorry. but ranged can offscreen for miles, can kite, has more time to tp-out/logout. being swarmed is a melee thing (or bad ranged players). ranged chars DO NOT NEED melee-level defences (and what hurts even more - they CAN achieve it for little to no extra cost)

the mere fact that while playing crit bow your most dangerous enemy is oneself speaks volumes.

'oh, where did that boss go?' is the ranged diagnosis.

"
Desync doesnt increase the damage you take. Heres how it works, the enemy aims at your location, you move, the shot misses. It doesnt matter if your location on the server is different to your location on the screen, as long as you moved you are not longer where the mob was hitting. On the server you could be walking right into the middle of where you are seeing the boss slamming, that doesnt matter because he is slamming where you were standing before you moved, as long as you moved far enough to escape his aoe that was centered on you its fine. Desync effects everyone, not seeing stuff under water effects everyone. Desync deaths happen but such is life, happens to all classes regardless, doesnt mean theres anything that needs fixed with melee.

this sadly is lol-worthy. desync when playing bow char is pretty much non-existant, same with casters. you desync when you click mobs/stun/freeze/impede their movement in any way. ranged most frequently one-shot, stay far away (so no pathing issues). there is little to cause desync if at all. with melee it is A CONSTANT state. if you claim that this is not a SIGNIFICANT disadvantage then well.. and desync vs positional BS (minion instability, Magnus FB, Minara firestorm, range from that GMB voidbearer) WILL kill a melee player. ranged doesnt give a damn about such stuff.

the only thing i agree is - underwater reflect/storm call applies to all classes. but thats it.
Misterknife stands in void flame all day. GMP actually reduces the damage he takes. Har Har.
/stupid self promotion
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Jan 2, 2015, 7:41:56 AM
Spoiler
"
pneuma wrote:
"
goetzjam wrote:
Can someone list the top 5-10 1 shot mechanics I keep hearing that only are a problem for melee builds?
"
pneuma wrote:

"
- Vaal Smash

Huge windup time almost all melee builds use with whirling blades or leap slam for positioning or you could simply walk away in the time it takes for this windup to happen.

- Touch of God

Same as smash, even sound indicators that help you.

- Multi-projectile spellcasters

These are a problem for quite a few builds are they not?

- Bloodlines Obelisks

Yeah those things really do suck.

- Volatile enemies (including Tora mobs, Tormented Martyr)

I don't think i've killed myself in melee from one of these mobs unless it was -max or I wasn't capped res.

As for legatus regarding this:

"The not-insignificant defenses I'll be stacking include: 30% reduction to all from MoM, 16% reduction to all from endurance charges (+1 oak), god-like status from enfeeble including 29% reduction to all, (+ 35% reduced mob accuracy (50% with quality), 35% reduced crit chance, 35% reduced crit multi at lvl 35) near-permanent bonus 6k armor and ev (surgeon flasks on crit build), ~30% evasion from gear, 21% block, flat reduction to phys and fire from AA, and permafrozen mobs due to hatred on a crit build."

And before you also had either max block or very high block in addition. Don't you think that might be a little too powerful?

In regards to responses (not necessarily from you) that you have or still can die, that is kinda the point isn't it? Whats the purpose of playing a game HC if you know you have no or so very little chance of dying?

https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info