Melee is the worst bullshit ever in poe

i just dont play melee anymore , beacause
1- lack of melee skill
2- so easy playing ranger and necromancer or caster ,
3- what is a shield in this game ? no shield buff no shield bash , no shield animation block, shield charge look broken who use this skill here ??
4- slow melee build using big dps fail for me
anyway i love the game a lot but not for melee :)
play my first rpg on the intellivision :)
Chris Wilson"I want to make sure that melee classes are as good as they can be"
Last edited by charley222 on Jun 9, 2015, 12:00:19 AM
I still play classical melee with low damage, barely any aoe and high risk taking on mirror level gear.

Just unpacked my lvl 71 ranger and gave it a lvl 1 tornado shot with unlinked random gear from my chest. God this is pure comfort to play with a 10 minutes build that doesn't even fit the gear it uses. It can already now do the content that I must dodge with the lvl 98 classical melee guy. Simply cause you barely can die when using screen size distance to opponents and do aoe + leech on half of the screen. Additionally it always hits as you only have to roughly aim at the right place so that the aoe hits while melee at 50% of times targets the air and does nothing.

Just switched on the stream of a clanmate lately:

1.5 million dps coc variation uber atziri chaining. Uber atziri is 2-3 shots max (if it hadn't the phase of invincibility). The whole thing is a matter of runspeed only.

Anyway, if GGG nerfed these kinds of builds (wand + shavs) it didn't have any impact at all. What does it matter in the end if uber aziri is 2, 3, or even 10 or 15 shot? Nothing.

It is still the layers upon layery upon layers of damage multipliers for shavs + high base crit weapon users without any reasonable aoe penalties (no matter if wands or daggers or claws).

GG, GGG
Last edited by LSN on Jun 9, 2015, 2:32:57 AM
Still the same old story I understand?

I was pretty exited for The Awakenings and had good hope for melee :(

Now in A2 of beta, time will tell I guess
"
Startkabels wrote:
Still the same old story I understand?

I was pretty exited for The Awakenings and had good hope for melee :(

Now in A2 of beta, time will tell I guess

Melee is great in beta, don't let anyone discourage you.

Spell casters are pretty dumpster now, GGG really has yet to address any defensive mechanisms for that class, other then moving MoM into a reachable position.

Bow characters are basically the strongest again/still, but if you want to smash things with ice crash or spin to win, the fortify buff means you can properly mitigate the extra damage you will be taking.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
Good, I'm already working with fortify.

After reading your response I think I will try out ice crash too. Maybe take some increased buff nodes for fortify somewhere.

What is the best defense for Templars? Life and Armour/ES? I was planning to take MOM too as extra defense.
"
Startkabels wrote:
Good, I'm already working with fortify.

After reading your response I think I will try out ice crash too. Maybe take some increased buff nodes for fortify somewhere.

What is the best defense for Templars? Life and Armour/ES? I was planning to take MOM too as extra defense.

Ice crash did get a slight nerf the last patch, but it is a newer skill with interesting interaction (for example you can't use multistrike with it)

Interesting you choose to do templar, as far as I recall unless you plan on using maces\staves you typically are better suited to start elsewhere as the nodes in templar starting area (and around) aren't that great.

Yes templar has access to armor nodes, so I would be doing that. Mom might work, but GGG hasn't added that much or many more increased mana nodes so it might be hard to sustain it until then.

FeelsBadMan

I just like the Templar as an INT/STR based character, I'd like to play elemental melee. I've always played Diablo 2 as a Paladin so it's more an emotional bond I have with the Templar. I know that I'm better off as a Marauder or something but I'm just stubborn I guess.
And hey a melee Templar is supposed to work as effectively as a melee Duelist, isn't he? Both are hybrid strength characters..

And yes I was planning to use a one handed mace with a shield because of the nice synergy with crit and elemental maces have.
I'm aware of the state of shields, bit of a bummer there but I just like the defense, stats and sockets it provides.

I did see a lot of mana regen nodes, maybe a nice combination with MOM...
Last edited by Startkabels on Jun 9, 2015, 12:00:26 PM
"
Startkabels wrote:
I just like the Templar as an INT/STR based character, I'd like to play elemental melee. I've always played Diablo 2 as a Paladin so it's more an emotional bond I have with the Templar. I know that I'm better off as a Marauder or something but I'm just stubborn I guess.
And hey a melee Templar is supposed to work as effectively as a melee Duelist, isn't he? Both are hybrid strength characters..

And yes I was planning to use a one handed mace with a shield because of the nice synergy with crit and elemental maces have.
I'm aware of the state of shields, bit of a bummer there but I just like the defense, stats and sockets it provides.

I did see a lot of mana regen nodes, maybe a nice combination with MOM...

Yeah if you plan on doing MoM build (from the tree that is) then templar (as far as melee goes) is probably your best option.

I can understand the similarities and desire to play the pantless templar, my first caster I feel in love with in PoE was a burning discharge templar.

As far as hybrid characters goe int\str and dex\str it really depends on the keystones and nodes around the area IMO that establish which is better for different builds. For example I don't think I would try to do anything related to swords from a templar start or staff build from duelist.

Some of the block\shield nodes got slight buffs, but I dont think templars were affected. Still they do provide bonuses and depending on what attack you are going to use it might be better to go 1 hand plus shield over 2 handed anyway.

FeelsBadMan

Yes and I just found out about the redesign of Tempest shield, I'll probably try to build around that too!
Duelist/Marauder/Templar have great survivability nodes in their reach, more then the other 3. They have tons of life reg per second, tons of life, tons of armor/reduced phys damage and mediocore life leech/on hit/on kill nodes. They also have great ele res nodes. Combine that survivability with:

1. CWDT+Imm.Call+End.Cry+Inc.Duration
Makes everyone immune to ranged physical attacks and it works wonders against big physical mobs

2. Vaal Immortal Call for risky situations
Helps against the big hitters. Being immune to any damage for like 3 seconds lets you facetank everything, given that you use it when needed

3. Res-Flasks
Makes you practically immune against any ele damage

So survivability is not the problem for melee characters. The real problem is the clear speed. Melee splash is so mediocore and other melee spells have no enough AoE size to clear many mobs at once. Melee are the best in a 1v1, but suck against large scattered groups of monsters. So we need ways to improve their clearing speed capability, without making them OP.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info