Translation Preview (FR, DE, PT)

Would anyone care to perhaps set up a google doc or something similar for each language so we can post suggestions right underneath the English version.
I've read many good suggestions (for German), but having Fr, De, PtBr all in one thread and suggestions for this or that text portion in no order makes it really hard to keep track.

A general suggestion, and something that always bothers me when reading German translations (or watching dubbed movies, for that matter), is to use more colloquial language. We Germans don't all sound like we're reading from a book.
It's hard to do that at times, but like no one says "it is" but "it's", so in German nearly nobody I know says "es ist" but "es is'" or even "'s is'".

And one thing I noticed in the few German portions I read is "Wir aus dem Exil". IMO "Wir im Exil" is the better translation.

I'd also be interested who is doing the translation. A blunder like translating bark (in Bestel's poem) with "Rinde" (= tree bark) must not happen.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
Wouldn't a google doc or a reddit post for each language be better?

That way we could post comments underneath each section and wouldn't have to repeat something that has been said before. I'm not going to read through 10 pages of comments to post a something that has been said before :D

But... if you need help at all, I'm fluent in both German & English (native German, but have been living in the UK since years)

Edit: Who did the translations btw? Some of them seem a little random and old-fashioned. Like "exilant" - don't think anyone would use that these days. "Ausgestoßener" or "Verbannter" would fit better imho.
"Fixing the endgame was hard - No matter how hard we buffed red maps, people would keep spamming Gorges.
So we turned Gorge into a red map"
Last edited by qwertz on Oct 30, 2014, 10:19:58 AM
German native speaker here.
I find the use of the word 'Exilant(en)' for Exile(s) disturbing. While it is a correct German word it is barely if ever used at all. Other people in this thread pointed out the same thing.
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
"
Alysma wrote:
My first feedback on the German version:

Nessa, on meeting the Witch
"
Damals in Oriath habe ich deine Artgenossen, ohne zu zögern, verurteilt. In Wraeclast habe ich diesen Luxus nicht.

"Artgenossen" goes more into the direction of members of the same (animal) species. If you want to say "your kind", I would go for "deinesgleichen". If you want to make it more "pointing fingers/disapproving": "du und deinesgleichen".

I think you mean "dich und deinesgleichen".

Uh, yeah. There is a point where coffee can't make up for lack of sleep anymore :-D Thanks :-)
"
Rhys wrote:

"
Disrupted wrote:
Are the translations something you can set in options?

Yes, you will be able to change the language in the options if you prefer English or whatever.

Oof, glad. not only because BR wont be forced, but because I tend to prefer the original in pretty much everything. Thanks for the answer, Rhys!
Oblivious
"
Alysma wrote:

Uh, yeah. There is a point where coffee can't make up for lack of sleep anymore :-D Thanks :-)

Stop being helpful for a while (if that is even possible) and get some rest! =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
Raycheetah wrote:
"
Alysma wrote:

Stop being helpful for a while (if that is even possible) and get some rest! =^[.]^=

True that. Alysma does nothing but help on these forums. Get some rest bro :).
IGN : @Morgoth
There are 74 millions french native speakers, 89 German and 215 portuguese.
What about Spanish that got over 500 millions? Just curious.
"
StephanLogan wrote:
There are 74 millions french native speakers, 89 German and 215 portuguese.
What about Spanish that got over 500 millions? Just curious.

Read the whole topic, it's posted on a page before this ;)

And speakers worldwide does not necessarily mean % of playerbase.
Last edited by boesersven on Oct 30, 2014, 11:59:14 AM
"
"

These are people in Exile, Criminals mostly. Do you think they give a shit about honorifics?

I think "du" is totally fine.

/agree

I also think honorifics should be rarely used when adressing an exile

I think "ihr" is more applicable in Nessa's case as it not only functions as an honorific but also as a more neutral and/or distancing expression.
Given her background, general way of speaking and her reservations against the witch (and most other exiles) I can absolutely see her using formal language.
The other characters are more likely to use informal language though, I agree.

Spoken language always uses lower cases for du/ihr etc.

The german translation is solid but like many game translations it suffers from the lack of involvement of the translator in the game itself. It doesn’t sound very organic and some phrases don’t fit the characters at all.
Here is my take on the translations, comments in spoilers:

Spoiler
German

Nessa, on meeting the Witch

Ich sah was ihr da draußen mit Hillock gemacht habt, Hexe. Eure schwarze Kunst ist der Grund, warum ihr hier im Exil seid. Sie ist womöglich auch das Einzige, was euch den nächsten Morgen erleben lässt. Ich bin Nessa und ich schätze ich sollte euch dafür danken, dass ihr uns von diesem grässlichen Riesen befreit habt. Damals in Oriath habe ich Euresgleichen ohne zu zögern verurteilt. In Wraeclast habe ich diesen Luxus nicht.

I stuck with „Kunst“ as Nessa avoids the word magic in the original.
In my translation Nessa keeps her distance from the witch, reluctantly thanking her for killing Hillock.
Nessa, on Rhoas

Sagt es nicht Tarkleigh, aber das ist das schlechteste Geflügel, das ich je gekostet habe. Wie dem auch sei, wir Verbannte haben nicht wirklich die Wahl.

I went with the literal translation of Exile throughout all dialogues: “Verbannter” and its plural form.

Bestel, on meeting the Shadow

„Ein durchnässter Schatten wankte aus der Brandung und überblickte den düsteren Strand.“ So lautet die erste Zeile des Gedichts, welches ich über dich schreibe, Verbannter. Sachte, Kumpel. Mit solch einem Blick könntest du jemanden vergiften! Der Name ist Bestel, Kapitän des stolzen Schiffes „Merry Gull“. Leider sie dahin, meine Merry Gull. Meine Crew ebenso. Doch mein Verstand ist noch da! ...zumindest einigermaßen.

The first line has to be put in exclamation marks.

Bestel, being poetic

Ein Leben lag in Schicksal’s Hand
Als Tarkleigh es den Wellen entwand
Die Mannschaft starb im nassen Sarg
Doch Bestel lebt, bedankt sei Tark…leigh

This one can't be translated directly, it's poetry afterall...
A word by word translation of my interpretation:
A life was bound by destiny('s hand)
When Tarkleigh pried it from the waves
The crew died in the watery coffin
But Bestel lives, thanks to Tark...leigh

Edit: To be clear: "bedankt sei Tark…leigh" is an odd (/poetic) formulation by german standards but I think it fits Bestel quite nicely.

Tarkleigh, on Hillock

Gute Arbeit mit Hillock. Wo hast du so zu Kämpfen gelernt? Nein, erzähl's mir nicht. Wir Verbannten haben keine Geschichte. Dominus hat sie uns in dem Moment genommen, als uns seine Schwarzwachen ins Meer warfen. Es geht nur noch um Leben oder Tod, das Jetzt.
Hier, nimm einen von Denen, danken brauchst du mir nicht. Ich denke dabei an mich und die anderen hier. Je länger wir Kämpfer am Leben sind, desto länger leben alle.

The first sentence is too cheerful when compared to Tarkleigh’s character.
I choose a somewhat dark translation that I think fits Tarkleigh’s charcter better.
Tarkleigh, on Lioneye's Watch

Die Mauern dieser alten Ruine, Löwenauges Wacht… mit ein paar robusten, gut bewaffneten Veteranen leicht genug zu verteidigen. Aber was habe ich? Verhungernde Verbannte mit Holzknüppeln und rostigen Dolchen.
Immerhin gibt es den Wegpunkt. Ein Werk der Lokomantie. Konnte ihn nicht benutzen, bis ich noch einen weiteren da draußen in der Morastebene, unter dem Nest eines Rhoas, gefunden hatte. Stell dich auf ihn und im nächsten Moment bist du zurück hier... auch wenn mir ständig mein Essen hochkommt, wenn ich dieses verdammte Ding benutze.

Assuming that „spill my lunch“ is his way to talk about puking.

Eramir, on the Fellshrine

Der Schrein der Grausamkeit ist ein Schatten von dem, was in Wraeclast einmal gut war.
Das in die Steine eingekratzte Siegel? Es ist ein Descry, aus Zeiten als die Templer noch wahrhaftig für etwas standen. Für die Vorfahren von Oriath war das Descry wie eine flackernde Fackel in der Nacht. Ein Quell an Inspiration und Behaglichkeit. Das Traurige an Fackeln: sie gehen aus.

“Schrein der Grausamkeit” directly translates as “shrine of cruelty which is the closest to “fell” as an adjective. The combination of adjective and noun is uncommon in German and would sound very odd in this case. The German “Fell” translates into “fur” so it can’t stay “Fellschrein” (shrine of fur) either.
Descry -> Am I right by assuming that the shape of the seal is called Descry?

Eramir, on the Vaal Ruins entrance

Dieses Uralte Tor nordwestlich von hier, es sieht sehr sonderbar aus. Stammt nicht aus der Zeit des Ewigen Kaiserreiches. Es könnte seinen Ursprung bei den Vaal finden...eine Kultur, dessen Erwähnung ich nur in den ältesten aller Schriften fand.
Es waren die Vaal, die sich die Fertigkeiten-Edelsteine zuerst zu Nutze machten, lange Zeit vor unseren kaiserlichen Nachfahren. Viel Mehr ist über sie nicht bekannt. Wenn ich doch nur meine alten Museumsarchive hätte, dann hätte ich dir eine ausgefeiltere Theorie liefern können!

The first two sentences of the original german translation are straight up wrong.

Yeena, introducing herself

Ich bin Yeena, Hüterin der Seele.
Bist du ein freundlicher Verbannter, so wie Eramir? Er ist gut zu uns… hilft uns. Du wirst auch bleiben und uns helfen, oder?

This is a good example of a technically correct translation that lacks the soul of the original.
I went with “oder?” instead of “nicht wahr?” to express the light doubt in Yeena’s voice.

Yeena, on the Great White Beast

Eine Bestie jagt uns in ihren Träumen. Eine riesige, weiße Bestie, vor langer Zeit von abscheulichen Menschen gequält und in den Wahnsinn getrieben. Eines Nachts wird sie herkommen, um zu reißen, zu zerquetschen und zu fressen. Ihr Schmerz befiehlt es ihr. Finde die weiße Bestie und beende ihren Schmerz, bevor sie ihn mit uns teilt.

Last edited by Victo on Oct 30, 2014, 12:42:44 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info