Translation Preview (FR, DE, PT)

Dying game is... Nevermind. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Quite a few grammar and punctuation mistakes in the German translation, but I trust those will be ironed out in the next editing pass(es) so no need to point them out.

I work as a translator myself and one thing that always bothers me is that certain words and phrases, carefully crafted in their original language, simply have no counterpart that does justice to the tone and mood of the source material.

Prime example being "Exilant" - it just doesn't have the same ring to it that "exile" does in English, and I don't think I've ever heard anyone use that word outside of academia. At the same time I understand why your guys decided to run with it instead of the alternatives. No satisfactory way to handle it that I can see, sadly.
Shop closed until further notice. Check out my Dominus musical tribute instead:
https://soundcloud.com/hackproducer0815/dominus
Thanks for the feedback! I've added English text, for comparison, btw. The translations don't need to be super strict, but hopefully nothing important is getting lost in translation.
Code warrior
"
unsane wrote:
I was prepared for the worst, but i only needed to read the first few French ones to see that the quality is extremely high. It's flawless, so, well done, to whoever your French translator is.

Not really. This looks more like bablefish translation.

Reading the phrases already gives me an uneasy feeling. Nobody talks like that...

"
J'ai vue ce que tu as faite à Hillock, sorcière.

Unless GGG tries to plan to sell all female characters as trannies. This mistake is first year french one.

GGG should just allow text modifications and there would be a good translation patch within a week.

And if you use magie then call the class "magicienne" else use "sorcellerie".

"
Mon nom est Nessa

Come on this is an automated translator. "Je m'appelle Nessa/Je suis Nessa" that's like the first thing you learn in french.

"
Ich habe gesehen, was du Hillock da draußen mit Hillock angetan gemacht hast, Hexe.

The original phrase sounds like Nessa feels compassion towards Hillock.
Also if you plan to translate MTX advertisements you will run straight into a lawsuit just like gameforge.
There are 2 forms of you in German. "du" is pretty personal, so either you talk to kids on a personal level(pretty much the reason for a lawsuit) or you know each other for some time. "Sie" (the differece to she/female they is the big S) is a honorific.
Several languages use honorifics to show the level of a relationship.

"
Schwarze Kunst

I didn't now the witch is an expressionist.(Painter, Poet, writer ... but imo she deserved to be exiled for that *g*)
It's called "schwarze Magie" or "Hexerei"

"
Ich bin Nessa

So in German you do it right but not in French? In terms of difficulty German is above French and above that are Nordic languages.

While I don't speak Portuguese I am pretty sure it contains the same errors. French, Italien, Spanish and Portuguese are pretty similar in that case.

TL;DR: You better allow fantranslations or hire a professional translator.

Last edited by Hilbert on Oct 29, 2014, 8:44:58 PM
"
Hilbert wrote:

"
J'ai vue ce que tu as faite à Hillock, sorcière.

Please don't listen to these corrections GGG. A french native speaker.
IGN : @Morgoth
Last edited by Morgoth2356 on Oct 29, 2014, 8:47:28 PM
Hi there!

Great job so far guys but I'm a little concerned about the french translation.
I think your way of translating suffers from a too straight translation. It is lacking some "old french" words, turn of phrase wich lead to a lack of past ages flavor. Your are missing a way to strengthen the medieval-ish/fantasy background. It is a too simplistic or a too common french.

For an exemple:

Nessa, on Rhoas
"... mais je n'ai jamais rien mangé d'aussi ignoble."

You lost the impact of "foulest fowl" that sounds great.
You could do this:

"... mais ces volatiles sont les plus ignobles qu'il m'ait été donné de béqueter..."

The word volatiles refers to animals that got feathers and most of the time those in farms. And the word béqueter mean to eat but this word come from bec ( beak in english) and the same lexical root.

I hope my feedbacks are understandable.

Edit: was asking for en version but you did it while i was posting :p

Last edited by Onepencilarmy on Oct 29, 2014, 8:55:06 PM
edit:@Morgoth2356

More like that the ugly soccerplayer....
Or you wanna joke that Nessa is a Tranny?

http://conjugueur.reverso.net/conjugaison-francais-verbe-voir.html

Passé
masc.sg.: vu
masc.pl.: vus
fém.sg.: vue
fém.pl.: vues

Congratulation you don't even speak your own language Ralph.
Last edited by Hilbert on Oct 29, 2014, 8:58:41 PM
"
Hilbert wrote:
edit:@Morgoth2356

More like that the ugly soccerplayer....
Or you wanna joke that Nessa is a Tranny?

http://conjugueur.reverso.net/conjugaison-francais-verbe-voir.html

Passé
masc.sg.: vu
masc.pl.: vus
fém.sg.: vue
fém.pl.: vues

Congratulation you don't even speak your own language Ralph.

It would be "vue" if the auxiliary was "être", but here it's "avoir". The past participle after "avoir" would be feminine only if the direct object (the subject doesn't matter with 'avoir' as an auxiliary for perfect tense) was feminine AND before the verb (which is both not the case here). The object here is "ce que tu as fait à Hillock".

Look at that : http://www.cliffsnotes.com/foreign-languages/french/french-i/french-i-the-passe-compose/the-passe-compose-with-avoir
:

"Past participles of verbs conjugated with avoir agree in gender (masculine or feminine — add e) and number (singular or plural — add s) with a preceding direct object noun or pronoun"

We learn that when we're like 9 years old, it's basic french language. Now stop being a try hard. Learn to speak a language before giving lessons about it and insulting people.
IGN : @Morgoth
Last edited by Morgoth2356 on Oct 29, 2014, 9:12:17 PM
Morgoth is right.

Another exemple:
"
I saw what you did to Hillock out there, Witch. Your black art is the reason you're here, in exile. It may also be the only thing that allows you to see another dawn.

I'm Nessa. And I suppose I should thank you ridding us of that putrid giant.

Here is a different way to translate that may differ from your original posted version.

"
J'ai vu ce qu tu as fait à Hillock, sorcière. Ta noire sorcellerie t'a mené ici, en exile... Cela aussi pourra peut-être te permettre de voir l'aube à nouveau.

Je me nomme Nessa et je suppose que je dois te présenter mes remerciements pour nous avoir débarassé de ce géant putride.
Last edited by Onepencilarmy on Oct 29, 2014, 9:16:25 PM
Excellent feedback, thanks! I'll be passing on these suggestions to the translators when we have more.

"
Hilbert wrote:
There are 2 forms of you in German. "du" is pretty personal, so either you talk to kids on a personal level(pretty much the reason for a lawsuit) or you know each other for some time. "Sie" (the difference to she/female they is the big S) is a honorific.
Several languages use honorifics to show the level of a relationship.

We are leaving the decision to use informal vs. formal language etc. up to our translators. As long as it sounds good to native speakers, it's fine.
Code warrior

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info