Translation Preview (FR, DE, PT)

"
Morgoth2356 wrote:
"
Raycheetah wrote:
"
Alysma wrote:

Uh, yeah. There is a point where coffee can't make up for lack of sleep anymore :-D Thanks :-)

Stop being helpful for a while (if that is even possible) and get some rest! =^[.]^=

True that. Alysma does nothing but help on these forums. Get some rest bro :).

Saw her get mildly snarky in chat, once. It was interesting! =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Awww, lol & thanks. But it's all good :-D I just always have trouble sleeping when I know that the next day is going to suck. Which isn't really helping, especially when there are several in a row...

On the topic of honorifics: If I were Nessa, I wouldn't care too much anymore since even if the paths have crossed back in Oriath, he/she is just another exile now who most likely will not survive the next day anyway. So I would go for the casual approach.
Last edited by Alysma on Oct 30, 2014, 1:39:36 PM
Hello. I am Brazilian and also happen to be a professional translator, with 7 translated books published so far. I have also unofficially translated Baldur's Gate II into Portuguese and got over 20k downloads of my translation. Seeing this thread made me wish I had contacted GGG about translating the game earlier. Ah well. (if you do need anything, feel free to contact me)

Here's some feedback on the text you've published, my changes will be in bold:

Nessa on meeting the witch:

"Vi o que você fez com o Hillock lá fora, Bruxa. Sua magia negra é o motivo de você estar aqui, no exílio. Também pode ser a única coisa que te ajude a sobreviver mais um dia. Meu nome é Nessa. E acho que devo agradecer por você ter acabado com aquele gigante podre. Em Oriath, eu condenava gente como você sem hesitar. Em Wraeclast, não posso me dar a esse luxo."

(the first couple of changes are more stylistic ones - "black art" is pretty much unknown in Portuguese, "black magic" is much more common. The third one is more serious, since your translation is flat out wrong.)

Nessa on rhoas:

"Não conte para o Tarkleigh, mas nunca provei nada tão ruim na minha vida. Ainda assim, a cavalo dado não se olham os dentes."

(the translation completely misses the point of the play on the "beggars can't be choosers" idiom, and translates it literally. My suggestion is to use a Portuguese idiom with the same meaning)

Bestel, on meeting the shadow:

"Um Sombra ensopado saiu do oceano e examinou a enseada sombria. Este é o primeiro verso do poema que escreverei sobre você, exilado. Calma, rapaz. Você poderia envenenar alguém com esse olhar. Meu nome é Bestel, capitão do bom navio “Gaivota Alegre'. Ai de mim, meu Gaivota Alegre se foi. Minha tripulação se foi. Mas meu cérebro está aqui... de certa forma."

(this one is a mess. The first sentence not only changes the meaning of the sentence, but also loses the alliteration. My version restores the original meaning and reintroduces the alliteration, but it becomes a phonetic alliteration, not a graphic one [So so sa ce xa se so]. Then there are a couple of mistakes: poems in Portuguese have "versos", not "linhas", and the translator messes it up when translating "I'm writing" as if it were in the present tense, and not the future one). They also use "barco" [boat] instead of "navio" [ship]).

Bestel poetic:

"Tarkleigh resgatou um Bestel derrubado
das ondas, do destino escravo
Da tripulação perdida e do rachado barco,
Bestel vive, graças a Tark... leigh.

(this one is just embarrassing. Your translation loses the rhymes, loses the joke, loses the meaning. Mine retains all that)

Tarkleigh on Hillock:

"Bom trabalho com o Hillock. Onde você aprendeu a lutar assim? Não, não me conte. Nós exilados não temos passado. Dominus nos privou disso no momento em que seus Guardas Negros nos jogaram na água. Agora é viver ou morrer. Tome, pegue uma dessas, e não precisa me agradecer. Estou pensando em mim e nos outros daqui. Quanto mais nós guerreiros vivermos, mais todos viverão."

(A few stylistic changes to make the text sound more natural. However, there's a gender mistake on "uma dessas" - the original translation makes it male, but I'm quite sure "skill gems" will be female in Portuguese)

Tarkleigh on Lioneye's Watch:

"As muralhas dessas ruínas antigas, Vigília de Olho de Leão... boas de se defender com um punhado de veteranos bem armados. Mas o que eu tenho aqui? Exilados famintos armados com clavas de madeira podre e faquinhas enferrujadas. Ainda assim, lá está o ponto de passagem. Um exemplo de locomancia. Não pude usá-la até encontrar outra no Lamaçal, debaixo do ninho de um rhoa. Pise num desses e você vai estar de volta aqui rapidinho... Mas eu vomito o almoço toda vez que uso esse negócio."

(a few missing words and stylistic changes)

Eramir on Fellshrine:

"O Santuário Caído é uma mera sombra daquilo que já foi bom em Wraeclast. Sabe aquele símbolo gravado nas pedras? É um Lampejo, de quando os Templários lutavam por algo de verdade. Para os ancestrais de Oriath, o Lampejo era uma bela tocha na noite. Uma fonte de inspiração e conforto. Mas sabe o que é triste sobre tochas? Elas apagam."

(The translatores don't even *try* to translate "Descry", which is a shame. My solution isn't exact - "Lampejo" - but it works. There's a rookie mistake here - "quando", not "quanto", and I prefer "Para os" instead of "Pros" because Eramir is older and his speech is more formal)

Eramir on the Vaal Ruins:

"Aquele portal antigo a noroeste é bem peculiar. Não é do Império Eterno. Pode ter vindo dos Vaal... uma cultura que já vi ser mencionada de vez em quando nos textos mais antigos. Foram os Vaal que começaram a usar as Gemas Virtuosas, bem antes dos nossos ancestrais imperiais. Pouco mais se sabe sobre eles. Se eu tivesse meus velhos arquivos do museu, eu podia te dar uma teoria mais bem fundamentada."

(The first line has a bad mistake, and says "northeast" instead of "northwest". The other changes are more stylistic - again, the translation is far too informal and youthful for Eramir)

Yeena introduction:

(nothing wrong here)

Yeena on the great white beast:

(nothing wrong either)

Conclusion: From what I've seen, the quality is subpar, I'm afraid. To be more precise: the quality is on par for *game* translation, which almost always is pretty low - but it has a lot of mistakes, from elementary to more complex ones. Worse, it seems like the translators don't know the game all that well (the gem gender mistake, the wrong tone for Eramir, etc.). There's also a hint of laziness to some of the issues (poetry, jokes, etc.).

I truly hope that GGG acts on these issues. Again, I'm open to help if you guys need anything. Thanks!
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread!

The translations presented in the first post were not polished, but we wanted some early feedback to help guide us. I will pass along all the relevant posts and PMs you have made to the translators.

It sounds like several of you are keen to help out more, and we will keep this in mind. We are working with a professional translation studio for most of the translation, but we may need some extra hands (with more first-hand game knowledge) to help out with certain parts, or to make small fixes. This will be a while in the future, though, if indeed it does happen. Stay tuned!

Thanks again!
Code warrior
This sounds pretty much like "thread closed". Or am I wrong?
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
"
Rhys wrote:
It sounds like several of you are keen to help out more, and we will keep this in mind. we may need some extra hands (with more first-hand game knowledge) to help out with certain parts, or to make small fixes.Stay tuned!

I'm still there ;)
(even as I didnt participate anything constructive to this topic here - the others did a real good job! ^^ And as said above, the mixing of the different languages made it hard to track, especially with the lots of stuff in the examples. That huge amount of needed quoting is still a major effort to do manually)
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
Good job on the french translation.
I was just about to write a post about translating the game in different languages.

Spanish is not on the list?

Anyhow if you need people to help translating (at least in French)

Je suis disponible ! (I'm available !)

I currently teach French and English in Mexico.
Last edited by atlatann on Oct 31, 2014, 10:32:44 AM
Native German here.
I appreciate that GGG will translate the game, i know some people who just want to play POE, but their english isn't good enough.
I feel free to read your examples, and take some changes for common understandings/wordings.

Attention, i read the original Post first, but no other comments. I did this, do get GGG a more different opinion.

Please note, my english isn't perfect.

If you need some one who reads some translated texts, feel free to ask me.

Original:
German

Nessa, on meeting the Witch
Ich habe gesehen was du Hillock da draußen angetan hast, Hexe. Deine Schwarze Kunst ist der Grund, warum du hier im Exil bist. Sie ist es aber womöglich auch, die dich den nächsten Morgen erleben lässt. Ich bin Nessa. Ich schätze ich schulde dir Dank dafür, dass du uns von diesem grässlichen Riesen befreit hast. Damals in Oriath habe ich deine Artgenossen, ohne zu zögern, verurteilt. In Wraeclast habe ich diesen Luxus nicht.
Nessa, on Rhoas
Sag es nicht Tarkleigh, aber das ist das schlechteste Geflügel, was ich je gekostet habe. Dennoch haben wir Exilanten nicht wirklich die Wahl.

Bestel, on meeting the Shadow
Ein aufgeweichter Schatten, taumelnd durch die Brandung beobachtet er den düsteren Strand. So heißt die erste Zeile des Gedichts, welches ich über dich Schreiben werde, Exilant. Sachte, Kumpel. Mit diesem Blick könntest du jemanden vergiften. Der Name ist Bestel, Kapitän des Schiffes „Merry Gull“. Leider ist meine Merry Gull dahin. Und meine Crew dazu. Aber mein Verstand ist noch da...zumindest einigermaßen.
Bestel, being poetic
Tarkleigh hat einen verwundeten Bestel aus den Wellen gerettet. Ein Sklave des Schicksals. Aus gesunkener Crew und zerborstener Rinde geht Bestel als Überlebender hervor Dank Tark...leigh

Tarkleigh, on Hillock
Bravourös gekämpft gegen diesen Hillock. Wo hast du so kämpfen gelernt? Nein, verrate es nicht! Wir aus dem Exil haben keine Geschichte. Dominus hat es uns in dem Moment entrissen, als uns seine Schwarzwachen ins Meer geworfen haben. Es geht nur noch um um Leben oder Tod. Hier, da hast du eine Kleinigkeit. Dafür musst du mir nicht danken. Ich denke an mich und die anderen hier. Je länger wir Kämpfer am Leben sind, desto länger leben auch alle anderen.
Tarkleigh, on Lioneye's Watch
Die Mauern dieser alten Ruine, Löwenauges Wacht, kann man mit ein paar robusten und gut bewaffneten Veteranen verteidigen. Aber was habe ich? Verhungernde Exilanten mit Holzschildern und rostiger Ausrüstung. Immerhin gibt es ja noch den Wegpunkt. Ein Werk der Lokomanzie. Konnte es nicht benutzen, bis ich noch ein weiteres draußen in der Morastebene unter dem Nest eines Rhoas gefunden hatte. Betrete es und bist in Windeseile wieder zurück hier...Leider zermatscht mir ständig meine Mahlzeit, wenn ich dieses gottverdammte Ding benutze.

Eramir, on the Fellshrine
Der Fellschrein ist ein Schatten von dem, was es einst im guten alten Wraeclast war. Dieses in die Steine eingekratzte Siegel? Es ist ein Descry, aus Zeiten als die Templer noch wahrhaftig für etwas standen. Für die Vorfahren von Oriath war die Descry eine flackernde Fackel in der Nacht. Ein Quell an Inspiration und Behaglichkeit. Das Traurige an Fackeln: sie gehen aus.
Eramir, on the Vaal Ruins entrance
Das Uralte Tor steht im Nordwesten und sieht sehr sonderbar aus. Nicht im Nordwesten des Ewigen Kaiserreichs. Könnte vom Ursprung zu den Vaal gehören...eine Kultur, die hier und da noch in uralten Texten Erwähnung findet. Es waren die Vaal, die sich die Fertigkeiten-Edelsteine zuerst zu Nutze machten. All das geschah lang vor unseren kaiserlichen Nachfahren. Viel mehr ist darüber nicht bekannt. Wenn ich doch nur meine alten Museumsarchive hätte...Dann hätte ich dir eine ausgefeiltere Theorie liefern können.

Yeena, introducing herself
Ich bin Yeena, Hüterin der Seele Bist du ein freundlicher Exilant, so wie Eramir? Er ist gut zu uns und hilft uns. Wirst du auch hier bleiben und uns helfen?
Yeena, on the Great White Beast
Eine Bestie verfolgt uns in ihren Träumen. Eine große, weiße Bestie, die vor langer Zeit von abscheulichen Menschen gequält und in den Wahnsinn getrieben wurde. Sie wird eines Nachts herkommen, um zu reißen, zu zerquetschen und zu fressen. Ihr Schmerz befiehlt es ihr. Finde die weiße Bestie und beende ihren Schmerz, bevor sie diesen über uns bringt.

My Part:
German

Nessa, on meeting the Witch

Hexe! Ich habe gesehen was du Hillock da draußen angetan hast. Deine Schwarze Kunst ist der Grund, warum du hier im Exil bist. Sie ist es aber womöglich auch, die dich den nächsten Morgen erleben lässt. Wo habe ich meine Manieren gelassen, Ich bin Nessa. Ich schätze ich schulde dir Dank dafür, dass du uns von diesem grässlichen Riesen befreit hast. Damals in Oriath habe ich deine Artgenossen, ohne zu zögern, verurteilt. In Wraeclast habe ich diesen Luxus nicht.

„Wo habe ich meine Manieren gelassen – where are my manners“
These Changes suggest a „passive aggressive, but friendly“ reaction from Nessa.

Nessa, on Rhoas
Sag es nicht Tarkleigh, aber das ist das schlechteste Federvieh, was ich je gekostet habe. Dennoch haben wir Verbannten nicht wirklich die Wahl.

Federvieh = A wording for birds. Is a rough term, more likely to the „medieval“ times.
Verbannten = a other word for exile, more common in use. "Exilant" sounds harmless, like you choosed it. Verbannten/Verbannte is more like, you was forced to leave.

Bestel, on meeting the Shadow

Ein aufgeweichter Schatten, taumelnd durch die Brandung beobachtet er den düsteren Strand. So heißt die erste Zeile des Gedichts, welches ich über dich Schreiben werde, Verbannter. Sachte, Kumpel. Mit diesem Blick könntest du jemanden vergiften. Der Name ist Bestel, Kapitän des Schiffes „Merry Gull“. Leider ist meine Merry Gull dahin. Und meine Mannschafft dazu. Aber mein Verstand ist noch da...zumindest einigermaßen.

Mit diesem Blick könntest du jemanden vergiften - This could also be "Mit diesen Blick könntest du jemanden töten".
The original sentence is a very uncommon usage. We have a common sentence in our daily speach "Jemanden mit den Blicken töten" translated roughly to "to kill some with a sighting" its like a "evil eye" or piercing glance.

but... Bestel has some serious problems with his mind... so a different wording is like a underline for this. It belongs to you.

Bestel, being poetic
Tarkleigh hat einen verwundeten Bestel aus den Wellen gerettet. Ein Sklave des Schicksals. Aus gesunkener Mannschaft und zerborstener Rinde geht Bestel als Überlebender hervor Dank Tark...leigh

Crew = Mannschaft - sounds better and more native.

Tarkleigh, on Hillock
Bravourös gekämpft gegen diesen Hillock. Wo hast du so kämpfen gelernt? Nein, verrate es nicht! Wir aus dem Exil haben keine Geschichte. Dominus hat es uns in dem Moment entrissen, als uns seine Schwarzwachen ins Meer geworfen haben. Es geht nur noch um um Leben oder Tod. Hier, da hast du eine Kleinigkeit. Dafür musst du mir nicht danken. Ich denke an mich und die anderen hier. Je länger wir Kämpfer am Leben sind, desto länger überleben alle anderen.

Je länger wir Kämpfer am Leben sind, desto länger überleben alle anderen. - maybe the word "Kämpfer" isn't the right choice. I think "Krieger" sounds better. But "Krieger" is more likly to Warroir... Again your choice xD

Tarkleigh, on Lioneye's Watch

Die Mauern dieser alten Ruine, Löwenauges Wacht, kann man mit ein paar robusten und gut bewaffneten Veteranen verteidigen. Aber was habe ich? Verhungernde Verbannte mit Holzschildern und rostiger Rüstung. Immerhin gibt es ja noch den Wegpunkt. Ein Werk der Lokomanzie. Konnte ihn nicht benutzen, bis ich einen weiteren gefunden hatte, draussen in der Morastebene under dem Nest eines der Rhoas. Betrete es und bist in Windeseile wieder zurück hier...Leider zermatscht mir ständig meine Mahlzeit, wenn ich dieses gottverdammte Ding benutze.

"Konnte ihn nicht benutzen, bis ich noch ein weiteren draußen in der Morastebene unter dem Nest eines Rhoas gefunden hatte" changed to "Konnte ihn nicht benutzen, bis ich einen weiteren gefunden hatte, draussen in der Morastebene under dem Nest eines der Rhoas."
Sounds more common, more native.

Eramir, on the Fellshrine
Der Fellschrein ist ein Schatten von dem, was es einst im guten alten Wraeclast war. Dieses in die Steine eingekratzte Siegel? Es ist ein Descry, aus Zeiten als die Templer noch wahrhaftig für etwas standen. Für die Vorfahren von Oriath war die Descry eine flackernde Fackel in der Nacht. Ein Quell an Inspiration und Behaglichkeit. Das Traurige an Fackeln: sie gehen aus.

This one is good. except the first sentence. it makes sense, but sounds a bit weired.

Better: Der Fellschrein ist ein Schatten von dem, was er einst im guten alten Wraeclast war.

At the beginning its called Der Fellschrein, its a male wording. in the second part of the sentence there was a nongender phrase. I guess to change that too.

Eramir, on the Vaal Ruins entrance
Das Uralte Tor steht im Nordwesten und sieht sehr sonderbar aus. Nicht im Nordwesten des Ewigen Kaiserreichs. Könnte vom Ursprung zu den Vaal gehören...eine Kultur, die hier und da noch in uralten Texten Erwähnung findet. Es waren die Vaal, die sich die Fertigkeiten-Edelsteine zuerst zu Nutze machten. All das geschah lang vor unseren kaiserlichen Nachfahren. Viel mehr ist darüber nicht bekannt. Wenn ich doch nur meine alten Museumsarchive hätte...Dann hätte ich dir eine ausgefeiltere Theorie liefern können.

This one is also good. I don't see there something to change.
As note, i hat to read twice the first two sentences. But its more like a statement. So thats ok.

Yeena, introducing herself
Ich bin Yeena, Hüterin der Seele Bist du ein freundlicher Fremder, so wie Eramir? Er ist gut zu uns und hilft uns. Wirst du auch hier bleiben und uns helfen?

Changed Exilant to "Fremder", its more like stranger. If you meet some one, you don't call him Hey Exile, that sounds very agressive. Hello Stranger is more likly to a friendly greeting. In my mind, it sounds better.

Yeena, on the Great White Beast
Eine Bestie verfolgt uns in ihren Träumen. Eine große, weiße Bestie, die vor langer Zeit von abscheulichen Menschen gequält und in den Wahnsinn getrieben wurde. Sie wird eines Nachts herkommen, um zu reißen, zu zerquetschen und zu fressen. Ihr Schmerz befiehlt es ihr. Finde die weiße Bestie und beende ihren Schmerz, bevor sie diesen über uns bringt.

Again, a good one. Nothing to add/change.

edit
After reading the whole topic. Some add:

"
Salumba wrote:
A suggestion for the german translation. In the original Bestel's poem rhymes:

Bestel,poetic
Tarkleigh rescued from the waves
A stricken Bestel, fate's slave.
From fallen crew and broken bark,
Bestel lives, thanks to Tark... leigh.

In the german 1:1 translation this is completely lost and doesn't rhyme, so the "…leigh" ending makes no sense at all:

Bestel,poetic
Tarkleigh hat einen verwundeten Bestel aus den Wellen gerettet. Ein Sklave des Schicksals. Aus gesunkener Crew und zerborstener Rinde geht Bestel als Überlebender hervor Dank Tark...leigh

I'd suggest to completely reword it to keep the sense and the rhymes and the funny ending too, like eg.:

Bestel,poetic

Das Schiff versank mit Mann und Maus
Nur Bestel kam als Einz'ger raus.
Gerettet aus dem nassen Sarg
ward er vom guten, alten Tark …leigh

His is hilarious! I had to smile. So please take this for the poetic.

█▀▀▌ █▌█▀▀▀ █▀▀▌█▄░▌
█▀▀█ █▌▀▀▀█ █░░▌█▀▌▌
█▄▄▌ █▌█▄▄█ █▄▄▌█░█▌
Last edited by eviL_Bison on Oct 31, 2014, 1:54:11 PM
"
Lightshard wrote:
"
cutt wrote:
Are there plans for a Russian translation? There are thousands of Russians who know about the game but can't play due to poor English in the country.

Dont call me Racist, but every Game i played wich was filled with Russian Players, was a bad Exp.

Why? They Refuse to talk like everyone else in English. Even Bad/poor English is better then just dont try it.

So i hope, it dont happen.

Those who really want to play speaks English somehow. But don't worry, care attitude of GGG to Russians players is similar to racism (including a ban to launch PoE in Steam on the territory of Russia and CIS). So I don't think it is worth waiting for the official Russian localization.

P.S. My experience of MMO says that most of the residents of any non-English countries refuse to talk in English and in Russia their are not more than elsewhere.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info