As a former game developer, I am appalled

"
tackle70 wrote:
No idea how anyone enjoys playing HC in PoE with desync. I just died at 90% on my level 95 standard character from desync a few days ago, and got so pissed I couldn't play for a week. I'm pretty sure that the first time I ever died due to desync on a 60+ hardcore character, I'd never be able to play the game again due to rage.

GGG claims it helps solve cheating issues, but cheating is rampant in this game and nothing is done about it. It's all a bunch of lame excuses IMO. Desync needs to be fixed, and they need to fundamentally re-think how they are approaching client-server synchronization.

You don't understand correctly. The only info that the client is given is what's being abused. This is why there's map/bright hacks. Both are inconsequential to real hacks. Easy duping, speed hacks, kill hacks, item generation hacks, etc.

To say that cheating is rampant in spite of desync is....misunderstood.
"
SL4Y3R wrote:

Easy duping, speed hacks, kill hacks, item generation hacks, etc.

and the only reason why this is even taken into consideration is .... ahem ... "economy".
see if GGG were worried about the gameplay experience half as much as they are worried about the fucking economeh - this game would be exponentially better.

when I play an ARPG, I couldn't give less of a rat's ass about who is cheating.
I don't cheat, and that's really all that matters.

besides, a black/white approach to thinking about design is always "good" right?

"we can't find a good middle ground between synchronization and anti-cheating, so let's just keep desync for god knows how many years".
"we can't find a good, risk/reward middle ground between self-found and self-traded, so we just completely fuck the self-found until they join the trade".
"we can't reproduce a good boss fight like Vaal Oversoul, so let's just spam the screen with particles our engine can't yet handle, and crank up numbers through the roof and one-shot everybody".

boolean. so much fun...

as a present-day developer - though not of games - I'm no longer even appalled.
I'm just speechless at GGG's approach to solving or even recognizing problems, and their prioritization.

@GGG, rather than make a giant list of very minor to almost-medium-complexity bug fixes every patch note, make a short list of real, top-priority, high-complexity issues.
yes, write it down even if you didn't solve it completely in this patch, and it's only a step.
it shows us players you are aware, and are actually working on something significant.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Oct 26, 2014, 2:23:23 AM
"
johnKeys wrote:
"
SL4Y3R wrote:

Easy duping, speed hacks, kill hacks, item generation hacks, etc.

and the only reason why this is even taken into consideration is .... ahem ... "economy".
see if GGG were worried about the gameplay experience half as much as they are worried about the fucking economeh - this game would be exponentially better.

when I play an ARPG, I couldn't give less of a rat's ass about who is cheating.
I don't cheat, and that's really all that matters.

besides, a black/white approach to thinking about design is always "good" right?

"we can't find a good middle ground between synchronization and anti-cheating, so let's just keep desync for god knows how many years".
"we can't find a good, risk/reward middle ground between self-found and self-traded, so we just completely fuck the self-found until they join the trade".
"we can't reproduce a good boss fight like Vaal Oversoul, so let's just spam the screen with particles our engine can't yet handle, and crank up numbers through the roof and one-shot everybody".

boolean. so much fun...

as a present-day developer - though not of games - I'm no longer even appalled.
I'm just speechless at GGG's approach to solving or even recognizing problems, and their prioritization.

This isn't a single player offline game.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
I'd rather have desync on rare occasions so than any of that other stuff.

P.S. I like both the dom and piety fights. Much better than vaal.
Desync is not going to get fixed since they just cant do it..

but seriously theres a new thread about desync every day... do people really need to vent their anger from a death by typing up a retarded thread and making themselves look like complete asshats?

fuck me i think i died like 4 times to desync in 2 and a half years of playing, i know desync is bad and annoying, but ive been playing cyclone in the last few months and i died to desync like once or twice with it and its one of the most desynchy skills in the game... i dont even use a /oos macro btw.... i think people are just overreacting
I carve and sell real animal skulls, check out my work here: https://www.instagram.com/victorseiche/
https://www.facebook.com/victorseicheart/
World first Uber Atziri as 2h and 2h RT build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1058950
Highest level char in Closed Beta, Wytchfindergeneral
Last edited by VictorDoom on Oct 26, 2014, 3:48:26 AM
Agreed that it's very doubtful desync will ever get fixed. I (along with most) have accepted desync, however the really frustrating thing about it is that GGG fails to design and balance around desync existing.
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
I'd rather have desync on rare occasions so than any of that other stuff.

P.S. I like both the dom and piety fights. Much better than vaal.

Piety fight is great, I guess the problem is people farm her so are mostly sick of it. Don't like Domino that much, first part of the fight is very good, with three unique blackguards and three unique miscreations, second part is also good with all that cat and mouse playing, but the third phase is utter crap, it's either too easy or too hard, depending on build.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Oct 26, 2014, 5:02:33 AM
"
VictorDoom wrote:

fuck me i think i died like 4 times to desync in 2 and a half years of playing, i know desync is bad and annoying, but ive been playing cyclone in the last few months and i died to desync like once or twice with it and its one of the most desynchy skills in the game... i dont even use a /oos macro btw.... i think people are just overreacting

That is pretty much human nature. I'm not affected by a problem, so I think people complaining about it are overreacting.

Here's a very simplified look at the way desync works: Network latency constantly builds up a difference between client and server status, mainly of course character and monster position. The game engine has to mitigate this by trying to compensate for latency, checking positions before triggering important events and finally resyncing. PoE's engine is doing a horrible job at that.

Imagine you die to desync not four times in 2 years but 4-5 times a week. Think about having to /oos constantly because you're on a shitty connection. Now tell me what that does for your game experience.
"
vezuial wrote:

Here's a very simplified look at the way desync works: Network latency constantly builds up a difference between client and server status, mainly of course character and monster position. The game engine has to mitigate this by trying to compensate for latency, checking positions before triggering important events and finally resyncing. PoE's engine is doing a horrible job at that.

Imagine you die to desync not four times in 2 years but 4-5 times a week. Think about having to /oos constantly because you're on a shitty connection. Now tell me what that does for your game experience.

+1.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
"
vezuial wrote:

a) accept you'll lose XP here and there and can't do much about it
b) quit the game (and/or start a qq thread)
c) overgear/overlevel so that desynch doesn't matter any more

aka

"Love it, leave it, or change it"

...applies to any situation in life.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info