As a former game developer, I am appalled

Drives me NUTS too.

A huge one I've found and reported many times, is the lockbox's.

The big thing is, they don't download mob's to client, until ID'ed/Clicked.

ID them all, sure! But it's the accidental bumps of the big block of writing that still gets me.
Just then, doing daily's for Zana. Accidentally bumped one as I was running past on a tight timer...
Nothing happens for a few seconds, then bamb, I'm dead at about 3x the distance I could have even touched the box. AGGH!

Is there any excitement/fun for ID'ing a box? Not really as it's just a few more clicks (+rummaging thru bags) I'd prob find it more fun to press non'ID's if they were pre-client downloaded mobs so I didn't desync. (I enjoy non-ID maps)

Even just adding them to [Push to Loot] key, would do wonders with my lazy watching TV farming low lvl maps stuff!
I could live with current game state if exp penalty is lessen to 2-5%.

Loosing experience until lvl 85ish is easy to catch up with in few minutes anyway, but dying few times in a row not by your fault at lvl 90 is really frustrating.

Few days ago I died in 1 day 2 times from Strong Box screen freeze, and once from lag missplacing, and was so close to rage quit.

Good that haven't happened again in next few days, so ragequit threshold gets higher again.

Alt Art items as League MTX - When?
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:

Yeah, it's the basic issue for all games, but suddenly, almost all other games have this issue at (least) 10 times less level, than PoE.

It's a huge scale mismatch, bro, and GGG said nothing to explain it. The only reasonable explaination for me is that GGG made a broken engine for PoE, and released game to live when they should re-made engine a long before release, as most others developers do.

I disagree that other games have it 10 times less. Other games are either synced and lag, or they are desynced like diablo 3 and deal with it in some way, we know how games like D3 deal with it, how they make it seem a lot less, and theyre horrible. GGG doesnt want them, I know I don;t want them, anyone who does theres always D3 you can go and play.

I dont think it has much to do with the engine at all. Even in D3, I live in europe, when I play I am connected to a central european server. I cant play with an american because they are on a different server. Here we have 1 server, in asia somewhere I believe? If I play Battlefield 2, a synced game, and I log on to a London server I have a ping of 10 and my game is almost completely legless. If I log to a central european or new york server I get like 70-100 ping and the game lags a little but its playable. If I log on to an asian server my ping is like 350+ and the game is completely fucked, completely unplayable through hideous amounts of lag.

Yet I play PoE connected to a server in asia and there is 0 net lag, ever, its so smooth that it feels exactly the same as playing a single player game offline. If this game was synced then I literally could not play it. What I do get is desync, that is the tradeoff for actually being able to play the game at all while what I am doing is taking place on a server located on the other side of the planet. You cant play COD on a server located in your city and say hey look this is smooth so PoE is bad. Next time click the ping sorter twice and log on to a server with 400 ping, see how well that game deals with playing on the other side of the planet.

You cant hide desync as much as D3 does without having a shit combat system like D3 has, you would then need to split PoEs community down by continent so the USA and UK and Australian people etc cant play together and have local continent servers for everyone to cut down this distance the info is traveling costing many times more than the current server setup in order to end up with a game like D3 that still has desync, still has rubber banding, still actually manages to have lag somehow and has bullshit combat where kiting skills count for fuck all.

Worth?

No man, its not worth, thats why people say just suck it up and deal with the desync, its the best of a bad set of options. Its not lack of development time, its not an amateur game engine, when you look at the budget and the size of the game and whats best for the game itself this is the best solution.

I havent died to desync once this year, despite tempting desync massively by streaming HD video from netflix/twitch etc on my second monitor while other people in my house stream netflix and download large files etc while I am playing. I have no logout macro, I have never logged out, play hc and sc. I dont die to strongboxes either. You just have to deal with these problems, no point complaining about them, make characters that can stand still around mobs and take some hits, use lightning warp before you open a box to be 100% safe, understand how to spot desync + have an oos macro, thats it, done, you wont die any more to these things.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:

Yeah, it's the basic issue for all games, but suddenly, almost all other games have this issue at (least) 10 times less level, than PoE.

It's a huge scale mismatch, bro, and GGG said nothing to explain it. The only reasonable explaination for me is that GGG made a broken engine for PoE, and released game to live when they should re-made engine a long before release, as most others developers do.

I disagree that other games have it 10 times less. Other games are either synced and lag, or they are desynced like diablo 3 and deal with it in some way, we know how games like D3 deal with it, how they make it seem a lot less, and theyre horrible. GGG doesnt want them, I know I don;t want them, anyone who does theres always D3 you can go and play.

I dont think it has much to do with the engine at all. Even in D3, I live in europe, when I play I am connected to a central european server. I cant play with an american because they are on a different server. Here we have 1 server, in asia somewhere I believe? If I play Battlefield 2, a synced game, and I log on to a London server I have a ping of 10 and my game is almost completely legless. If I log to a central european or new york server I get like 70-100 ping and the game lags a little but its playable. If I log on to an asian server my ping is like 350+ and the game is completely fucked, completely unplayable through hideous amounts of lag.

Yet I play PoE connected to a server in asia and there is 0 net lag, ever, its so smooth that it feels exactly the same as playing a single player game offline. If this game was synced then I literally could not play it. What I do get is desync, that is the tradeoff for actually being able to play the game at all while what I am doing is taking place on a server located on the other side of the planet. You cant play COD on a server located in your city and say hey look this is smooth so PoE is bad. Next time click the ping sorter twice and log on to a server with 400 ping, see how well that game deals with playing on the other side of the planet.

You cant hide desync as much as D3 does without having a shit combat system like D3 has, you would then need to split PoEs community down by continent so the USA and UK and Australian people etc cant play together and have local continent servers for everyone to cut down this distance the info is traveling costing many times more than the current server setup in order to end up with a game like D3 that still has desync, still has rubber banding, still actually manages to have lag somehow and has bullshit combat where kiting skills count for fuck all.

Worth?

No man, its not worth, thats why people say just suck it up and deal with the desync, its the best of a bad set of options. Its not lack of development time, its not an amateur game engine, when you look at the budget and the size of the game and whats best for the game itself this is the best solution.

All FPS games have much higher requirements to lag/desync to be playable online. And they manage to deal with it, somehow. According to you, online FPS games are impossible, due to desyncs.

Yes, D3 is slower than PoE. But even if you slow your character in PoE to "D3 style", you will still suffer from desync greatly, while D3 deals with it, and all its movement skills dont cause desync, including "flicker-strike style" Fists of Thunder.

Yeah, i know, playing with someone on another side of the Earth is generally a bad idea, due to ping, etc.

But when you play solo, or with frinds from your country? When you have extremely low ping? Thing like desync shouldnt ever be noticeable.

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

I havent died to desync once this year, despite tempting desync massively by streaming HD video from netflix/twitch etc on my second monitor while other people in my house stream netflix and download large files etc while I am playing. I have no logout macro, I have never logged out, play hc and sc. I dont die to strongboxes either. You just have to deal with these problems, no point complaining about them, make characters that can stand still around mobs and take some hits, use lightning warp before you open a box to be 100% safe, understand how to spot desync + have an oos macro, thats it, done, you wont die any more to these things.

I agree, if you build properly, death from desync will be quite rare. But that isnt the reason i complain about desync.
I complain because desync ruins gameplay. That's the main issue. Playing PoE is like playing quantum physics simulator. Your position and enemy's arent fixed - they can vary randomly. A projectile you firemay fly past enemy, and proctile fired in the air may hit him. And when it cames to melee..... well, GL...
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Nov 20, 2014, 5:27:36 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info