As a former game developer, I am appalled

inline

"
Peterlerock wrote:

a) accept you'll lose XP here and there and can't do much about it - not in HC. and "can't do much about it" is bullshit.
b) quit the game (and/or start a qq thread) - so many of those. so little actual change.
c) overgear/overlevel so that desynch doesn't matter any more - overlevel? fine. overgear? oh yes that's right: trade. no other way to "overgear" in a game where "gear" doesn't. fucking. drop.

aka

"Love it, leave it, or change it"
indeed.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
"
johnKeys wrote:

not in HC. and "can't do much about it" is bullshit.

Someone who "dies 4-5 times a week" probably doesn't play hardcore, hmm?
And the second part: I can't do much about Desynch. It happens from time to time, I think "wtf again", then I get rubberbanded to whatever position, alive or dead, and then I play on. I'm not happy about it, but it's also not this crazy tragedy people make out of it.

"

so many of those. so little actual change.

You seem to misunderstand.
The bolded part doesn't mean GGG should change it.
It means "what you can change on your own".

"
overlevel? fine. overgear? oh yes that's right: trade. no other way to "overgear" in a game where "gear" doesn't. fucking. drop.

Here you can also apply it.
Love "trade", leave the game because of "trade", or change like in "find your niche and play selffound, even if that means you cannot access/beat all content"
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Oct 26, 2014, 6:30:02 AM
"
vezuial wrote:
"
VictorDoom wrote:

fuck me i think i died like 4 times to desync in 2 and a half years of playing, i know desync is bad and annoying, but ive been playing cyclone in the last few months and i died to desync like once or twice with it and its one of the most desynchy skills in the game... i dont even use a /oos macro btw.... i think people are just overreacting

That is pretty much human nature. I'm not affected by a problem, so I think people complaining about it are overreacting.

Here's a very simplified look at the way desync works: Network latency constantly builds up a difference between client and server status, mainly of course character and monster position. The game engine has to mitigate this by trying to compensate for latency, checking positions before triggering important events and finally resyncing. PoE's engine is doing a horrible job at that.

Imagine you die to desync not four times in 2 years but 4-5 times a week. Think about having to /oos constantly because you're on a shitty connection. Now tell me what that does for your game experience.

Well i am affected by the problem, i also desync since my connection is not good at all

I simply dont die to desync because i know that i desync so im prepared for it, always, its a part of the game sadly so i have to build around it to avoid death.

People are overreacting, they see that they die from desync so they continue to play the same way instead of changing their playstyle and building a tankier char, they resort to making useless posts on the forums to vent their rage which helps no one, theyre not going to fix it so better get used to it since its not going to change any time soon. If they find a way to fix desync they will, making a thread every day reminding that its still there wont change anything
I carve and sell real animal skulls, check out my work here: https://www.instagram.com/victorseiche/
https://www.facebook.com/victorseicheart/
World first Uber Atziri as 2h and 2h RT build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1058950
Highest level char in Closed Beta, Wytchfindergeneral
"
Peterlerock wrote:

a) accept you'll lose XP here and there and can't do much about it
b) quit the game (and/or start a qq thread)
c) overgear/overlevel so that desynch doesn't matter any more

aka

...applies to any situation in life.

a) I do, and it makes the game a lot less enjoyable. That makes it a very viable reason to complain to GGG.
b) What do you expect will happen to the game if people leave it due to desync? Can that be in anyone's interest?
c) Neither will help you with desync. A lot of situations are designed around oneshotting the player if he's in the wrong spot. Even if you could overlevel so much that you survive getting desynced into rooms full of mobs, it would trivialize the game. See a).

That being said, your interpretation of "Love it, leave it, or change it" is off. Change it can very much mean petitioning GGG to focus on an issue.
"
VictorDoom wrote:
Well i am affected by the problem, i also desync since my connection is not good at all

I simply dont die to desync because i know that i desync so im prepared for it, always, its a part of the game sadly so i have to build around it to avoid death.

So... you're not using an oos macro as you've stated before, you die 2-3 per year, and claim you're affected by desync but can cope with it because you're an ace player.

Ahm... no. First of all, you cannot 'prepare for desync'. You cannot deal with it by getting tankier, and you most certainly can't play without /oos and then claim to be affected. Sorry, but we're just talking about different things.
"
vezuial wrote:
"
VictorDoom wrote:

So... you're not using an oos macro as you've stated before, you die 2-3 per year, and claim you're affected by desync but can cope with it because you're an ace player.

Ahm... no. First of all, you cannot 'prepare for desync'. You cannot deal with it by getting tankier, and you most certainly can't play without /oos and then claim to be affected. Sorry, but we're just talking about different things.

I cope with it because i know how to play to avoid it, especially with cyclone, and building tanky does help against desync, i dont use /oos cause im too lazy to make a macro, i sometimes type it manually if i feel like something is fishy.. thats it.. jsut build tanky and be aware of your surroundings and the way you can desync with the skills you use, then avoid it and prepare for it just in case by maxing out your rez, using cwdt setups and high ehp/regen.

Its not that difficult really.. Dont hold AoE attack button on a enemy when you attack them, thats one of the main ways people desync into mobs, if youre attacking something and it doesnt get damaged then type /oos and log out if nothing happens, dont spam movement skills too much, dont rush past packs etc... theres ways of avoiding it with every single character and build, and theres ways to prepare for it in case it happens.
I carve and sell real animal skulls, check out my work here: https://www.instagram.com/victorseiche/
https://www.facebook.com/victorseicheart/
World first Uber Atziri as 2h and 2h RT build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1058950
Highest level char in Closed Beta, Wytchfindergeneral
Last edited by VictorDoom on Oct 26, 2014, 7:18:55 AM
"
VictorDoom wrote:
but ive been playing cyclone in the last few months and i died to desync like once or twice with it and its one of the most desynchy skills in the game

Cyclone is a funny skill, it causes desyncs a lot but they aren't really that dangerous if you follow a few golden rules about using cyclone. Actually, the most common form of desync you see with cyclone is when you get stuck on debris, and the consequence is you lose control of your char for a few moments, which shouldn't be fatal if you made a good melee char.

However, if you play a skill like spectral throw, you often get to see 'obstacle desync'. You get that by targeting an enemy directly through an obstacle like the edge of a doorway, some pillar or such. If the enemy isn't where you think it is the char will move on the server side trying to attack it and stand square in the doorway where ranged enemies from inside can pick it off easily, or even find itself in the middle of the room. As ST chars are typically less tanky than a full melee this can be much more dangerous than anything a cycloner ever faces.

I got a cyclone char I've been playing for a fairly long time and his last death was oneshot from overscaled brutus when Zana rolled a level 74 dungeon map for me. Desyncs usually result in close shaves at best.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
Souleus wrote:
"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:
"
RagnarokChu wrote:
I wasn't aware game developers work on networking and game engines.

Kinda like how the people who make MTX that supposedly should work on desync.
Lol was just about to comment something similar.

OP clearly not a former game dev.

I don't understand this comment. I worked on d2. I worked on gameplay, and netcode, AI, lots of stuff. Why wouldn't a game developer work on networking and engine?

Because game developer is a extremely vague and broad job description. Not every "game developer" works on the network or engine.

There are programmers, Artist/modelers/ect, ones that do music, ect. Game developer themselves would refer to someone like chris who own's the company who may not be able to fix the netcode or game engine but directs content design or so on.

The point of the comment is people bitch about "game developers" making MTX when the people who make them aren't in charge of the game engine. If you lurked around long enough you would know that the company as an extreme issue hiring talent because of their location and country they are in. Last last guy to optimized the engine did alot of work before quitting.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Oct 26, 2014, 7:37:58 AM
"
vezuial wrote:

a) I do, and it makes the game a lot less enjoyable. That makes it a very viable reason to complain to GGG.

Then you are not "loving it". This option is out for you.

"

b) What do you expect will happen to the game if people leave it due to desync? Can that be in anyone's interest?

I doubt the numbers of Desynch-Leavers are high enough to make anyone care.

"

c) Neither will help you with desync. A lot of situations are designed around oneshotting the player if he's in the wrong spot.

There's only so much you can do in some rare situations, but you can definetly do enough to survive desynch in 99% of situations.

"

That being said, your interpretation of "Love it, leave it, or change it" is off. Change it can very much mean petitioning GGG to focus on an issue.

No, that's not understanding the core of "Love it, leave it or change it".
It's what you can do in any situation of your life, not "what others should do".

If you are interpreting the last part as "let others change it for me", you are both giving up responsibility for yourself and creating a situation that cannot make you happy.

If Desynch is such a horrible issue for you, you cannot accept and build around it or simply ignore it, "leave it" is the way to go.

Yes, creating a "Feedback" thread is some sort of "change it", but GGG has stated endless times that they can't/don't want to adress this issue. So it's a useless way of "change it".
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Oct 26, 2014, 7:42:56 AM
No, Peterlerock.

There's also a fourth option to ignore the issue but never accept it and stick with the game because there's nothing better out there but whine whenever the opportunity presents itself. It's perfectly viable, actually the most common one if you think about it and I'm not talking just about PoE.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Oct 26, 2014, 7:55:21 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info