Lightning Thorns

The problem with Lightning Thorns is that you simply cannot control the damage output it does. As it stands now, some builds are simply not playable, most noticably LA-Rangers. There's situations you won't be able to survive, no matter the preparations you make: One shot on a group, that doesn't even have LT-Caster in them and an arrow that goes missing in a mobpack offscreen is all that it takes.

While melee characters did take more damage before the patch, they could avoid situations where they would be confronted with LT. With most ranged builds you cannot, because you are dead before you even see the source of damage.

Bow builds are simply not viable at the moment (this does exclude easy to control ones like RoA or single target attacks ofcourse), because at some point you will get oneshotted before you even know that there's Lightning Thorns on the map.

Might be the nerf to ranged builds the devs intended, but I doubt it's the right way to kill a ranged character the instant an arrow flies offscreen without any possibility to react.
IGN: DatInternet
it wasnt specifically pointed to u Duskbane, im following the LT thing for a while and if u would too, u would see the one shoted stuff.

so, u guys should stop mindlessly shoting your arrows at offscreen mobs and maybe start kiting sometimes? defuq is that i went in promenade and died to boss? when u see the boss, first kite the melee guy away and kill him, then go on the LT bitch and kill her np. and if u single target her with LT on, u just dont get damaged. couse if u do, u failed something big time, since i dont. and another thing, a whole pack of mobs wont get the LT on all of em. the notes even said that the mages dont cast the thorns so frequently anymore. god damn, temp chain the chargers and kill the witch...
"
mgasper0 wrote:
it wasnt specifically pointed to u Duskbane, im following the LT thing for a while and if u would too, u would see the one shoted stuff.

so, u guys should stop mindlessly shoting your arrows at offscreen mobs and maybe start kiting sometimes? defuq is that i went in promenade and died to boss? when u see the boss, first kite the melee guy away and kill him, then go on the LT bitch and kill her np. and if u single target her with LT on, u just dont get damaged. couse if u do, u failed something big time, since i dont. and another thing, a whole pack of mobs wont get the LT on all of em. the notes even said that the mages dont cast the thorns so frequently anymore. god damn, temp chain the chargers and kill the witch...

Read Xybb's post because he nailed it on the head.
I can fire a split arrow at a group of enemies that doesn't even contain Lightning Thorns and hit all of them, and then one of my arrows from the shot flies offscreen and connects with a LT group and chains a couple times. Without me even seeing the caster or its friends, I've just one-shot myself.

Melee never had THAT problem. They at least had to have the LT enemies in their sights to be affected and could respond.
i too fas fo youuuuuuu
Let's spell it out for everybody who doesn't want to understand WHY this LT change has borked a lot of people, and those who're having their moments of Schadenfreude and their Roman holidays over others' present misfortunes.

LT before patch:

Only affected melee. They could (usually) see it coming and prepare for the same barring lag or desync. They moved and fought slowly to prevent such problems, and if possible tried indirect damage such as summons, traps, or totems.

It didn't affect ranged or casters. To them it was pretty much a non-issue tantamount to a new graphical skin on the enemy for all the harm it could do to them. Which was zero, zip, nada, because it had no effect on them pre-patch.

LT after patch:

It got nerfed in terms of damage to an extent. But it now affects casters and ranged to.

What does this mean?

even a single hit with a pimped out skill like split arrow with chain/fork/what have you on a single monster off screen that just happened to have lightning thorns on, as well as buddies with the same effect, you'd be as dead as a freaking doornail without understanding how you died. Have I made myself clear?

While this is no different from offscreen reflect, it is in many ways poorly balanced by comparison as it is triggered by spells and attacks both, and will screw over anybody with a multi-hit attack.

You can still use indirect attacks such as totems and traps and expendable summons, but as it stands now it's pretty much bullshit death like in most Roguelikes, and trust me I've played enough of those to know where they come from.

Maps contain LT users? GG your map is now ruined.

I think this much is enough on the issue at hand at present.

1337 21gn17ur3
Last edited by ExiledToWraeclast on Apr 13, 2013, 6:59:39 AM
"
Let's spell it out for everybody who doesn't want to understand WHY this LT change has borked a lot of people, and those who're having their moments of Schadenfreude and their Roman holidays over others' present misfortunes.

LT before patch:

Only affected melee. They could (usually) see it coming and prepare for the same barring lag or desync. They moved and fought slowly to prevent such problems, and if possible tried indirect damage such as summons, traps, or totems.

It didn't affect ranged or casters. To them it was pretty much a non-issue tantamount to a new graphical skin on the enemy for all the harm it could do to them. Which was zero, zip, nada, because it had no effect on them pre-patch.

LT after patch:

It got nerfed in terms of damage to an extent. But it now affects casters and ranged to.

What does this mean?

even a single hit with a pimped out skill like split arrow with chain/fork/what have you on a single monster off screen that just happened to have lightning thorns on, as well as buddies with the same effect, you'd be as dead as a freaking doornail without understanding how you died. Have I made myself clear?

While this is no different from offscreen reflect, it is in many ways poorly balanced by comparison as it is triggered by spells and attacks both, and will screw over anybody with a multi-hit attack.

You can still use indirect attacks such as totems and traps and expendable summons, but as it stands now it's pretty much bullshit death like in most Roguelikes, and trust me I've played enough of those to know where they come from.

Maps contain LT users? GG your map is now ruined.

I think this much is enough on the issue at hand at present.

its not different from a 3.0 attack speed cyclone user trying to barrel through a pack of LT. for a while I would have to run around dodging the pack kill the mages with a single shot attack and then kill the pack after LT wears off.

now guess what? range must do the same thing. dont just run in spamming LA when you see LT around.. use poison arrow to kill the mages and then kill the pack.

"
You should consider replacing chain/fork in your multi target skills than.
IGN: Unsaj
There's only one real problem with that. How can you see something coming when you have no idea that it's there? just as a hypothetical situation.

You will probably know, oh here is the Barracks, I should be watchful for LT, but how would you know if there are blackguard mages in a map unless you saw them first?

It'll only go downhill with increased monster variety making it more likely for them to appear.

@Above: I can put my money where my mouth is and change tactics as needed but I'm not all the players. Other players with different playstyles will not be happy about it.
1337 21gn17ur3
Last edited by ExiledToWraeclast on Apr 13, 2013, 7:08:55 AM
the guys with charge, or the mages, dont come to u with the thorns already on. first the mages shoot some arcs, or whatever the spell is cast and then they cast thorns. maybe only even after u start attacking. so in my opinion u can be carefull and make it through. but nope, go full on chain/fork/gmp and blast everything u see. i said it in another topic already, why dont u cry about removing offscreen dmg? why? couse then u cant offscreen kill everything.
"
@Above: I can put my money where my mouth is and change tactics as needed but I'm not all the players. Other players with different playstyles will not be happy about it.
I understand people do not like going out of their comfort zone but do we really want a game where spaming very efficient AoE attacks left and right is always the fastest way to kill stuff without any risk?

This sure sounds like that developing metagame developers mentioned.
IGN: Unsaj
"
mgasper0 wrote:
i said it in another topic already, why dont u cry about removing offscreen dmg? why? couse then u cant offscreen kill everything.

Perfectly true, and whoever invented offscreen damage in arpgs, be it on you or on enemies, should be bitchslapped for a week straight. Projectiles should have half a screen maximum range and that's it, as soon as it flies out of that area it's gone forever, this ain't Sniper Elite.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Apr 13, 2013, 7:33:29 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info