Lightning Thorns

"
mgasper0 wrote:
first stop using life on hit and go for life leech. stop spaming your skills. maybe if u see that ure killing yourself with ure dps, go a bit more into def nodes and leave dps nodes out. KITE.

and again, one hit doesnt reflect 1.5k hp. i freakin tested it today in a 67 map. blue pack of blackmages and charge freaks. i stood there and dpsed. there were 3 withches and almost never 3x LT on chargers at the same time.

and by the way, i dont understand how can ppl play without life leech

Yet another to add to the hordes of people who don't read the post.

I hit the life leech cap with just one shot of either attack.

I have plenty of defensive nodes. I've told you my stats. I've told you the situation. And I take 1.5k damage from one shot. I don't see any way to PROVE that to you, but it's true.

"

Bolded the main concession I will make. Tested myself as well and yes this is happening whether or not it was intended. If they fix this issue (if not intended) I will have no sympathy for lack of control.

As for the chap who was kind of to reply to my morning pissy reply. Yes it can hurt, but it is something you can work around and we both know that as well as we both know 7aps into a pack with that buff would be suicide. You are not forced to use Split Arrow. You do not have as many options as an Elemental Archer I give you that, but pacing Frenzy, and ROA can still do wonders for you. Support gem swapping is much more manageable than new character because it is easier to change a simple effect to your skills than reroll, infinitely. I carry multiple different support gems for different situations. I pull chain and lmp from ls when I am on maps that have witches. Same thing on my LA Duelist. I pulled PA out and ROA is still op since its drop can be controlled.

Kiting is still an option too. Peel and separate them. I am sorry but with multiple characters that map, having done Maelstrom in CB. Things change, and a single change like this can not in itself invalidate a character if the player is willing to adapt.

I still have little sympathy for the overall level of complaints. Especially when the first 10-12 pages of this very thread are LA characters telling melee to "roll ranged", "get better", "adapt", "kite more". From the perspective of melee predominant players you have to realize that the situation is less likely to engender sympathy, especially in this thread.

Alexis
*smiles*

I detailed the situation, and have told you that I don't fire split arrow into LT buffed packs and I don't fire full 7aps into the mages. I can fire one shot at a time but even with my capped life leech and life on hit at lv19 I still can only fire one or maybe two shots before I have to stop, run away, and chug flasks. All of this, at capped resists, with 3k hp is silly.

---------

It pains me that all the hostility that I keep getting with completely valid complaints is being caused by all the hostility melee were getting for their completely valid complaints. Don't be a hypocrite -- I never once said LT wasn't a problem for melee. It was. Now it's fixed for them, but it's broken for ranged, and now what do the melee do? The same damn thing that was done to them. How childish is that?
i too fas fo youuuuuuu
+1 for nerfing new Lightning thorns, not fun playing against it as Freeze Pulse. Don't wanna go back to traps...
"
"
Voidtek1969 wrote:
As far as the LT buffing & GGG saying the mages have to be closer to use it, this is incorrect. When they coded the new changes, they made the mages start buffing whenever a mob in their pack within the mages' vicinity got hit with a players' attack.

This means any stray ranged attacks off-screen will prompt "preemptive" buffing offscreen, which means the next volley of attacks on the pack thats actually close to the player will either kill them or near kill them when their next ranged attack goes off-screen.

This was tested & proven multiple times yesterday by several players.

The off-screen stray attacks themselves are preempting buffing whether the players are near the mages or not.

This is a problem since obviously the players cant see the off-screen mages yet.

I don't have a problem with the changes per-se as long as I can see the mages before they buff up. As it stands, they are already buffed up by the time you get to them in many cases.

I see people on here saying, "well use your eyes & if you see a mage, stop using your attack that may kill you". I actually agree, but if you can't see that mage pack off-screen that is already buffed up because of the unintended buffing by proxy to your last attack off-screen, there is absolutely nothing you can do.

The off-screen buffing due to proxy of stray ranged attacks is bugged, and is what is causing most of these problems I surmise.

Bolded the main concession I will make. Tested myself as well and yes this is happening whether or not it was intended. If they fix this issue (if not intended) I will have no sympathy for lack of control.

As for the chap who was kind of to reply to my morning pissy reply. Yes it can hurt, but it is something you can work around and we both know that as well as we both know 7aps into a pack with that buff would be suicide. You are not forced to use Split Arrow. You do not have as many options as an Elemental Archer I give you that, but pacing Frenzy, and ROA can still do wonders for you. Support gem swapping is much more manageable than new character because it is easier to change a simple effect to your skills than reroll, infinitely. I carry multiple different support gems for different situations. I pull chain and lmp from ls when I am on maps that have witches. Same thing on my LA Duelist. I pulled PA out and ROA is still op since its drop can be controlled.

Kiting is still an option too. Peel and separate them. I am sorry but with multiple characters that map, having done Maelstrom in CB. Things change, and a single change like this can not in itself invalidate a character if the player is willing to adapt.

I still have little sympathy for the overall level of complaints. Especially when the first 10-12 pages of this very thread are LA characters telling melee to "roll ranged", "get better", "adapt", "kite more". From the perspective of melee predominant players you have to realize that the situation is less likely to engender sympathy, especially in this thread.

Alexis
*smiles*

So basically you are telling me that my only option right now where I don't have a very real chance of accidentally suiciding is to run Rain of Arrows.

That's nice.

Rain of Arrows is also likely to be nerfed on its own terms since it NEVER MISSES (???) for some reason. It's certainly a feature of the spell I enjoy -- but I cannot picture it lasting LOL.

I don't really like the idea of split arrow and LA builds no longer being viable in maps.

"Be careful" isn't good enough. Mistakes happen. Most people don't enjoy running builds where shooting off in the wrong direction a couple times can gib yourself. I certainly don't.

Might as well put a "suicide" button off in the corner of the screen that if you click, it INSTANTLY kills your character.

If people accidentally click the button and kill themselves...Too bad! Should be a better player and not click the suicide button!!!

Anyway, seriously...I feel like options for an archer build are dwindling rather than expanding.

I'm happy that melee characters are being made more viable. They should be even stronger probably =p. I don't think punishing ANY player with instant death for attacking literally 1-2 times is a good thing...whether it's melee, ranged, or whatever.
Last edited by HopTortoise on Apr 13, 2013, 5:34:52 PM
hmm, im drunk right now, so... anway, i read the posts, sorry duskbane if we didnt understand each other or whatever. but u see, if u do 25k dps and u 1hit everything, then u find some reflect mobs and u 1 shot ureself. damn, isnt it time to change something?

and yee, i was all strong some time ago, thinking that if i do 10% of my hp as dmg im fine and life leech capped. yee... thats not right. try stacking some LL.

anyway, when i was young, u didnt get everything served on a silver plate, even in games. fallout, ultima, bg, planescape...
Mindlessly attacking a certain mob w/o thinking twice. Bluntlesly Shooting arrow's off screen w/o noticing what they're shootin at.

By the looks of it alot of players would probably prefer "Shoot 1st and Think later"

well here's one of the most punishing encounter's i've been so far (althou i skipped them cuz i didn't have other option)
Spoiler

tbh this isn't just about brute forcing your way throu a group of mobs w/ LT, you gotta think of a way to get rid of em w/o getting killed yourself.

I find it way more interesting and challenging to take down the caster.
What's the point of having weapon switch at the 1st place (if your range) anyway. besides you can either swap some skills (LA or any range skills > traps) to take em out.

I'd just like to say as a melee cyclone user, I'm quite happy about lightning thorns now. It's still tough, but at least I get a bit more reaction time compared to before and it's quite manageable.

For our ranged friends who recently discovered how lightning thorns can be a pain, I'm not going to repeat the countless stupid advice given to melee over the numerous complaint threads before. Just be more careful when you see/hear arcs or blackguards, boost your hp so you have more reaction time, and live with the fact that no amount of godly gear is going to save you if you AoE too many.
Toupy - Lv93 Facebreaker Cyclone Duelist
Last edited by Myrthr on Apr 14, 2013, 3:21:20 AM
"
mgasper0 wrote:
hmm, im drunk right now, so... anway, i read the posts, sorry duskbane if we didnt understand each other or whatever. but u see, if u do 25k dps and u 1hit everything, then u find some reflect mobs and u 1 shot ureself. damn, isnt it time to change something?

and yee, i was all strong some time ago, thinking that if i do 10% of my hp as dmg im fine and life leech capped. yee... thats not right. try stacking some LL.

anyway, when i was young, u didnt get everything served on a silver plate, even in games. fallout, ultima, bg, planescape...

I understand how reflect should work, and reflect does hurt me, but only a little. I don't instantly fall over dead from it or anything because most of my damage is physical and I fire very quickly for moderate amounts (about 700-1k phys, 700-900 fire, 300-500 cold) so that I don't kill myself too quickly vs reflect.
Also, my life leech IS capped, I can pull up my defenses sheet, fire one frenzy shot, and my Health Regen (which is affected by life leech) jumps up to a certain number for around a second. I can fire ten or twenty split arrows in the same fashion and my HP regen will jump to the same number. It will never exceed that number. It's capped.

I'm not asking for everything to be handed to me, I just find it silly that I can encounter something that will kill me before I can even see it instantly. All those games you listed are great, but very rarely did you die in them to something completely unknown and out of your control, and when you did, you corrected it the next time. That can't be done here.
i too fas fo youuuuuuu
i understand your frustration, but the thorns doesnt kill u before u see em. its just a matter of being careful.

from the patch notes: 'The casters have to be closer to use it and have a reduced chance to cast it.'

the mobs 2 screens away doesnt have thorns on em already.
"
mgasper0 wrote:
i understand your frustration, but the thorns doesnt kill u before u see em. its just a matter of being careful.

from the patch notes: 'The casters have to be closer to use it and have a reduced chance to cast it.'

the mobs 2 screens away doesnt have thorns on em already.

It's been confirmed by multiple people in this thread and the other thread about lightning arrow users that the mages cast LT on their allies as soon as the mob pack near the mages is hit. That means even if the hit was not on your screen. So two stray arrows and they're all buffing up, the next stray arrow will instantly kill me.
i too fas fo youuuuuuu
did some testing in normal, can confirm that.
1337 21gn17ur3
Last edited by ExiledToWraeclast on Apr 14, 2013, 7:33:53 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info