[2.5 Video Guide] Beginner's Build: Dual Flame Totem, Blood Magic Chieftain [Atziri & HC/SC Viable]

There are few issues:

What to do with burning if you're lazy and don't want to manually cast endurance charges. Removing elemental focus seems to be losing lot of damage. Molten Shell is not something triggered too often, not to mention Ancestral Bond which prevents damage anyway.

Is it worth to maintain Anger, but losing few hundred hp from potential rare ring and more % reservation from Arctic Armour, which leads to the next question:

Is it worth to use Arctic Armour in the first place?

Last, but not least - mobility. Heavy amours, potentially two uniques lowering the movement speed. I guess 30% boots and good quicksilver flasks will have to compensate it. Shame that Lightning Golem doesn't give more movement speed :P
Ok, so this is my build so far. My gear is not perfect but just want to share my setup and stats with what I have at the moment.

Raw DPS in hideout with flame totem + CDS + faster casting + EF + iron will + empower (lvl2):

33,665 dps

I am using several ways of buffing my DPS up to burn down bosses quickly. My buffed dps:

52,921 dps

Having flame golem up gives me only 835 extra damage, but the main reason I am using it instead of lightening golem to proc Ngamahu and Celestial Punishment. I have linked flame golem with elemental proliferation and chance to ignite. The golem has 72% chance to ignite, which in practice means he always ignites the mobs as he uses 3 skills and one of them WILL. Elemental proliferation ensures that the rest of the mobs get ignited as well.

This could also be used to generate endurance charges with Ramako, however I went with Tukohama so my totems are completely unaffected by ele reflect, get extra armor so they are super tanky and have taunt which help with dmg mitigation.

I am also constantly using Atziri's Promise, which gives me whooping 4,895 extra dps.

I have linked vaal haste with increased duration and this gives me 10 seconds long buff of 5,721 dps. This is more than enough to deal with map bosses.

Finally, I am also using frenzy linked with faster attacks to generate frenzy charges, mainly during boss fights. At 3 frenzy stacks I get 7,805 extra dps.

This way my fully buffed DPS is nearly 53k per totem.

As to address the mobility issues, I am also using phase run linked with increased duration. This in combination with 2 quicksilver flasks and flame dash makes the character pretty mobile in my opinion.

At lvl 90 I have 6,278 life, which could be bumped up to 7k easily with better gear and 10579 armor with 51% dmg reduction.

At this point I will be mainly looking to grab more health nodes to further increase my tankiness. I feel that damage is high enough at this point.

My passive tree:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAEDAASzBg4GoAbDCfYLYQ48EFgQzBEtFCAUcRYLFm8XjBkuGjgaPhzcJKolvCcvJ-0pLioTK7YsnCynMtE1kjbpOtg8LT38RUdG10rESshQR1cNWGNY5VorWlJeXV8_Y_1khGZUZp5oZWjybqpxhXIPeuZ7IHuze8N8g3y4ggeCm4Nfg8yFe4dljEaMz48akFWUb5o7ogCj8qajp5Somq2Nr2yxQrXytz65fsBmxPbGBMauxtjPZ89-0f3SIdR81abYvdlh2XzbT9-_4MPhc-Nq6-7sOO087w7wH_Gs8i_yQfMR85v2SPau-JP5vfrS_go=
Last edited by POEPete on Aug 26, 2016, 6:20:10 PM
I have no idea how others get high dps, mine is absolutely miserable. Like 8k or so.. 11k with 2 wands.

The build doesn't have much life, and I even have to reserve life, instead of mana, which is insane.

I can't use the shield because the dps is too low, so I use two wands. Which means I have half the armor I would have with the shield. But I did try the shield as well, and it's not better at all. It's a trade-off between dying because you can't deal damage, vs dying because your defenses are bad, and you can't deal enough damage anyway.

The biggest problem is that this build is very very slow, by far the slowest build I played so far. And slow is maybe the biggest cause of pain in this game. Bad defenses and a slow character are painful to play and really squishy. Especially in lab.

Cwdt setups are not dot doing much, if at all. Cwdt is set way too high for immortal call to be triggered when u need it, so I get one-shot. The other 2 cwdt are also too high, but more likely to be triggered. Only.. nothing useful gets triggered.

Temp chains.. I don't even know how it could work because I can't double curse. I never saw any temp chain functioning, and temp chain would be massively useful if it worked!

There is no leech and regen is never a good idea. I come to realize that life from flasks is a desperate way to fix a problem build. I think more than 1 life flask is always a sign that the build has problems. You can't get enough life from flasks, just like you can't get enough mana from flasks, it's absurd to rely on flasks for core needs of a build, like life or mana. Sure you can help the build with some flasks during level up.. but you have to get rid of flasks once the build is high lvl, like when you start mapping. Leech is the only way I guess. Maybe superfast recharge, but that's highly unlikely for most builds.

So I invested as much as I could in this build, it seemed a good idea. I can't kill merciless Izaro, I died a ton killing merciless Malachai, and lab is pain.
to the above poster - this build was probably meant to be a basic one for new players to pick up. it is easy to level, simple to play, easy to gear, and does a fine job up to about red maps where you do meet dps issues like you mentioned.

it's definitely scalable into end-game though. someone in a previous post downed uber atziri and that's not a feat any build can do. it requires things like a 6L infernal mantle/lioneye's, lv 21 flame totem and lv 4 empower, insanely good dagger/scepter/wands etc, but the potential to scale is there. admittedly it will never do as much dps as a crit based flame totem build or tri/quad totem hierophant, but with enough investment you can still farm things quickly
I know it says beginner friendly but it seemed to be a solid, safe build, that can farm Atziri, and therefore have no problems with high tier maps.

Looking at the example higher up on this page though, I'm impressed at how much more damage you can get if you simply don't follow the guide and add gems like empower or elemental focus instead of useless fire penetration or faster projectiles. I feel betrayed.. Even with a Tabula Rasa the 5 link Infernal mantle I bought for this build becomes useless. The mantle doesn't provide much power, nor protection, the shield is unnecessary. Global critical strike is the only useful thing, but since this is not a crit build...

I have a feeling this guide is very misguiding, even if it has some good ideas to start with. I'm really disappointed, it seemed powerful and easy to play, turned out misguiding and downright bad. I invested a few exalts in it, which for me is a lot.

I'm interested in finding a build that can farm Atziri, don't care if it's noob build or not, I care if it's affordable sure.. I refuse to believe you need gear that costs 300+ exalts to reach end game, wth..

So far every build I made has turned a major DPS disappointment. I made one build that had good defenses, but unusable dps. And bad defenses for the sake of investing in dps.. worst thing you can do in PoE. I have a TS ranger with mediocre 30-40k damage, highest dps I ever achieved - she can't do anything but get one shot as often as possible.

Not sure what to try next : /
The whole point of the build is to pretty much depend on self-found gear and be able to advance. I've done this build for 2 leagues and it always did the job. Once you've invested around 30-40ex, you can pretty much do anything.

Respeccing to a crit build will grant you best bang for your buck however. As a starter league build, it gives you several advantages: 0 rerolls on mapmods, 0 worries on reflects, decent clear speeds with crit version with dagger and whirling blades, very very very safe as the taunt rarely lets anything get to you.

Perhaps too safe as the times i've died I was kinda falling asleep. Not a very "active" build, but tbh im tired of looking for a "fun build, immune to reflect, that does a lot of dmg, has a good clearing speed, can do all map mods and has 0 single target issues, doesnt have cluncky mechanics (detonate mines)"

"useless fire penetration" is one of your biggest boosts though it doesn't show up on your tree. Your ideal setup would be Flame Totem -> Fire Pen -> EF -> CD -> Faster Projectiles -> Emp lvl 4

If you go with the crit build swap cd for crit % gem. The above setup gave me around 54k dps in hideout in Perandus with a 6L Infernal and 2 x 4ex wands. If you are looking for more sheet dps then Templar/Witch might be for you, but then your totems are just high dmg poles that mobs with high movement speed pass by and rek you.
And to put in my two cents, my TotemChaos isn't very good at survival at high level content, but he does just fine for me as far as wearing magic-find gear and farming currency from low to medium maps. The build can run most map mods and that is the most important part of trying to get currency for a self found player like myself. I have other builds when I want to run difficult content, but flame totem is my go-to when I play normally. The goal is to avoid getting hit at all by running away, and it works fine when you have walls or just run loops around bosses.

Without this build, I would not have had the means to support two other more powerful builds that I have. Self find means I needed some ways to get 2000 armour or 700es chests on my own. And flame totem is the way to do it.
Last edited by VallenChaosValiant on Aug 27, 2016, 11:17:51 PM
Marauder»[2.3][HC/SC][Uber][Core]End-Game Lazy Chieftain Dual Flame Totem Build

You may want to try this variation maybe?
"
I know it says beginner friendly but it seemed to be a solid, safe build, that can farm Atziri, and therefore have no problems with high tier maps.

Looking at the example higher up on this page though, I'm impressed at how much more damage you can get if you simply don't follow the guide and add gems like empower or elemental focus instead of useless fire penetration or faster projectiles. I feel betrayed.. Even with a Tabula Rasa the 5 link Infernal mantle I bought for this build becomes useless. The mantle doesn't provide much power, nor protection, the shield is unnecessary. Global critical strike is the only useful thing, but since this is not a crit build...

I have a feeling this guide is very misguiding, even if it has some good ideas to start with. I'm really disappointed, it seemed powerful and easy to play, turned out misguiding and downright bad. I invested a few exalts in it, which for me is a lot.

I'm interested in finding a build that can farm Atziri, don't care if it's noob build or not, I care if it's affordable sure.. I refuse to believe you need gear that costs 300+ exalts to reach end game, wth..

So far every build I made has turned a major DPS disappointment. I made one build that had good defenses, but unusable dps. And bad defenses for the sake of investing in dps.. worst thing you can do in PoE. I have a TS ranger with mediocre 30-40k damage, highest dps I ever achieved - she can't do anything but get one shot as often as possible.

Not sure what to try next : /

if you want to easily farm atziri and still use totems, i suggest trying a facebreaker+abyssus/bringer of rain ancestral warchief build either as chieftain or scion. compared to flame totem it is infinitely cheaper to scale into 100k+ dps per totem range, since facebreakers give an insane multiplier and warchief totems do borderline OP damage. i'm talking 2 exalts maximum with the bringer of rain setup and a bit more with abyssus+5/6L chest setup, after that you're set to farm atziri in your sleep.
Last edited by shadowfriend420 on Aug 28, 2016, 2:55:19 AM
The build looks Awesome, but isn't it heavily based on INT skill gems and MARAUDER is a strength based character. Wont this be an issue in the future?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info