[2.5 Video Guide] Beginner's Build: Dual Flame Totem, Blood Magic Chieftain [Atziri & HC/SC Viable]

Why don't use Pierce, Less Duration or other powerful More damage gems instead of Faster Casting and Faster Projectiles? They have More modifiers which is almoust always better and pierce doesn't have any drawbacks for Flame Totem. Or you tested damage yourself and FC is better?

Also how this 3 CWDT setups interact with each other? They activate simultaneusly when their conditions are met?
Last edited by SunL4D2 on Jul 23, 2016, 2:29:47 PM
garfiox, the video was made long ago that is why the discrepancy.
Censored.
As a relatively new player who is loving the dual Flame Totem build, could anyone speak to the advantages or disadvantages of more +critical strike chance/critical strike multiplier vs. the skill talents chose in this build?

The other dual Flame Totem build posted by Lopia85 seems to focus much more on critical strike chance/multiplier (traveling across to the far right side of the tree). Just curious how differently these two builds might play out based on those choices vs. some of the skills in this build (which seems to ignore most of the critical strike talents)?
The power of this build is huge life HP pool, big amount of armor and life regeneration. If you support all this with good resistances for all elements plus chaos res, you will give enough time for your totems to incinerate and burn anything around without critical strikes.
If you chose to pick critical strike chance/multiplier nodes, you will spend more traveling points to get them. Those nodes are in the whitch/shadow area. Life and life regenerations nodes are simply in the marauder start area and it is not so far away.
At level 69 my marauder has flame totem gem at level 17. Linked with fire penetration level 17 and iron will support level 17 and faster casting level 17, that gives a mysterious DPS slightly above 3400.
This DPS is enoung to kill Malachai on Cruel.
The time of the fight was not longer then any fight observed by me on the you tube.
The Warden (on merciless) was defeated surprisingly fast.
Totems and tank will be tested very soon on Marveil at merciless.
My one and only concern is the DPS number meaning itself.
Does 3400 DPS means:
-two totems together.
-or maybe it is DPS per totems projectile (at level 17 each totem has 2 projectiles).
Nevermind the answer to that, the DPS is just good.
So this is how it looks like wihtout any critical chance/multiplier nodes.
Have fun.
Kzaar

...czyjestessławny?

...czyjesteśsławny?
"
EliteKzaar wrote:
The power of this build is huge life HP pool, big amount of armor and life regeneration. If you support all this with good resistances for all elements plus chaos res, you will give enough time for your totems to incinerate and burn anything around without critical strikes.
If you chose to pick critical strike chance/multiplier nodes, you will spend more traveling points to get them. Those nodes are in the whitch/shadow area. Life and life regenerations nodes are simply in the marauder start area and it is not so far away.
At level 69 my marauder has flame totem gem at level 17. Linked with fire penetration level 17 and iron will support level 17 and faster casting level 17, that gives a mysterious DPS slightly above 3400.
This DPS is enoung to kill Malachai on Cruel.
The time of the fight was not longer then any fight observed by me on the you tube.
The Warden (on merciless) was defeated surprisingly fast.
Totems and tank will be tested very soon on Marveil at merciless.
My one and only concern is the DPS number meaning itself.
Does 3400 DPS means:
-two totems together.
-or maybe it is DPS per totems projectile (at level 17 each totem has 2 projectiles).
Nevermind the answer to that, the DPS is just good.
So this is how it looks like wihtout any critical chance/multiplier nodes.
Have fun.
Kzaar

...czyjestessławny?

The DPS is per totem projectile
Hello !

I've been using your build for so long that I've seen many updates and start to confuse me now :) I wanted to ask two simple questions that really confuses me and would really happy if any of you have time to answer. Thank you for the build once again.

Question 1 : We have Temporal Chains as curse on one of the setup, isnt it count as curse so that we cant cast second and our most important curse, the flammablity ? Becuase we can apply only one curse ?

Question 2 : I still have no idea why we level these gems on these specific levels, I always tend to level them up as much as I can, now I'll have to replace them but I'll be really happy if you tell me why.

Last edited by BatuBaker on Jul 29, 2016, 11:04:08 AM
"
BatuBaker wrote:
Hello !

I've been using your build for so long that I've seen many updates and start to confuse me now :) I wanted to ask two simple questions that really confuses me and would really happy if any of you have time to answer. Thank you for the build once again.

Question 1 : We have Temporal Chains as curse on one of the setup, isnt it count as curse so that we cant cast second and our most important curse, the flammablity ? Becuase we can apply only one curse ?

Question 2 : I still have no idea why we level these gems on these specific levels, I always tend to level them up as much as I can, now I'll have to replace them but I'll be really happy if you tell me why.

My understanding of the reason for this setup:

In this build we have linked CWDT with Arctic Breath, Temporal Chains, and Immortal Call. When I am playing one of my goals is to ensure I am not getting hit by any monsters and instead they are killed by my totems before they reach me, or are trying to attack the totem instead of be due to its position. In this case if someone is actually hitting me I want to be able to get away safely, re-position my totem placement, and keep myself alive long enough for the totems to take out the threat.

Question 2:

In the case of Cast When Damage Taken the level of this gem controls how often the linked skill be be cast.

A level 4 cast when damage taken will trigger once you have taken 725 damage.
A level 9 cast when damage taken will trigger once you have taken 1221 damage.
A level 20 cast when damage taken will trigger once you have taken 3272 damage.

By keeping the level of the CWDT gem lower it will trigger the linked skill more often. In this case we want to hit them with arctic breath to chill the ground, and temporal chains to further slow them down. This should give me a chance to now run away from the monsters because I'm much faster then them. Our goal is to get the debuffs on the monsters and are less concerned about the damage they will do (meaning the damage penalty for a low level cwdt is not relevant). This level 4 gem setup will have caused the skill to cast 4x level 7 arctic breaths + temporal chains as opposed to a level 20 setup would have only cast a 1x level 20 arctic breath + temporal chains.

If after triggering the first CWDT setup I haven't gotten away from the threat and am still being hit then the second setup immortal call / molten shell is meant to trigger and start protecting me from more more damage.

Question 1:

Correct - you can only have a single curse up on the monster. If your totems are mowing through enemies then you are safe and casting away flammability to kill them even faster. However, once you are getting hit its time to get away, re-position your totems, and probably recast flammability to take out the threat.
Hey Tohogaru,

Thanks for the reply. Few more questions for you .)

- Instead of proc'ing it alot, doesnt it better to level it up and only proc when you take huge dmg, meaning you are in trouble and needed extra protection ?

- Also we have two level 4 CWDT gem in our setup, isnt it better to have different levels of gem so it procs separetly from each other ?

- To be honest I dont use or see any use of Temporal Chains much, do you guys have any replacement for it ? Probably gonna need a green gem because I cant change items anymore.

Last edited by BatuBaker on Aug 4, 2016, 7:19:19 AM
In my mind its about damage mitigation. Once you start to take damage the skills will go off - giving you an opportunity to prevent you from taking more and hopefully not reaching the point where a level 20 version would have triggered. And even if you did get up to the same damage point as 20 it has gone off multiple times.

For temporal chains the biggest thing that changes as the gem levels is how big of a radius you get when the curse is cast. So getting a smaller more frequent effects seems to preferable atleast to me.

For arctic blast the thing that changes with gem levels is the damage. Given this isn't our primary attack skill I'm not really concerned with it killing anything and want it mostly just for the chilled ground effect to slow people down. In this case getting multiple chilled grounds at 1.21 duration seems more effective then a single chilled ground effect for 1.65 when maxed.

As for them being the same level I would like them to trigger at the same time as the slow from temp chains should stack with the slow from chilled ground to get a significant drop in their speed at once.

I'm not sure what a good alternative might be off the top of my head - others might have some suggestions. Phase run could make you faster but has the downside that the movement speed boost is lost if you use another ability. I haven't had a chance to try it out but I've been curious to see how frost wall works on a CWDT setup hopefully cutting the monsters off from you so you can get away. Worst case if you really don't like the skill and hate keeping scrolls there is always a portal gem!
Good explanations Toko, thank you! :)
Weekly build guides: Youtube.com/LiftingNerdBro
Daily live streams: Twitch.tv/LiftingNerdBro
Friendly PoE community: Discord.gg/Lifting

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info