Why Self Found is Fine: 7 Days of Progress

Yea I know what you mean.

Fair enough mate.

Don't get me wrong, Chris can chuck me a Kaoms Heart anytime he wants. Even if I do play SF!!
Just for try for see and for know.

She corpse exploded the corpse of the boss...
The real problem is indeed luck. Plain and simple luck.

You make it sound like it is so easy. But the majority who farms the shit out of stuff, gets nothing but shit. I haven't seen a Mjolnir ever. I haven't gotten an empower gem, let alone a quality gem, ever. A 5 link? Haven't seen them in months, let alone on my 2 lvl 60+ chars in beyond. A quality gem 15+ that is actually my main skill? Never ever has that happened in all my years of playing.

Not a cry btw, I'm doing fine. Game is great. But trading and grouping is way too powerful. Otherwise most out there will get screwed over by RNG.
"
Sickness wrote:

But just to clarify: the abyssmal drop rates of uniques is the by far biggest problem with self found and why I dont consider self found to be fine.

the drop rate isnt abysmal though. Ive vendored at least 10 searing touches, endgame uniques are common as muck. There are a small number of extremely rare endgame unique items. Yes theyre hard to find but if you actually played endgame semi efficiently for 1000 hours you would be extremely UNLUCKY not to find one, unthinkably unlucky. Were less than 2 weeks into rampage and my guild leader is lvl91 and hes found at least 5 strong endgame uniques, he hasnt even played 100 hours yet. Hes not lucky, thats fairly normal.

Anuhart in this thread has played the game for 5000 odd hours. Yes thats a long time, he has a 6 link shavs, 2 kaoms hearts, 2 crown of eyes, more lioneyes than he knows what to do with, hes got multiples, sometimes many multiples of the vast majority of endgame uniques. It didnt take him 1000 hours to find 1, for every 1000 hours hes found dozens upon dozens of them, so many that he vendors them.

The game would not be more successful with an sfl. It would fracture the player base, thats a very bad thing for the game, it would cost more, thats bad for the game. The reason a shavs is so desired is because its rare, you make it less rare, its less desirable, you make an slf where everything is more common that would devalue everything in the game for players. No one gives a shit about things that are easy to find or achieve, you would destroy the value of the game, not the trade market value, the value to the player, and hence the drive for the player to play. It would kill the games longevity.

People saying they never find quality gems? Seriously? You mean you dont find about 6 or 7 per day? Sry I just dont believe you. How many mobs do you kill per 'day'? 6?

Dont buy any of this talk about 'you need to be lucky'. Well it seems absolutely everyone I have ever played with in this game and every streamer I have watched has been extremely lucky every single day they have played for the last 20 months? Sry I just dont buy that at all, this is nonsense talk.
"
Self-found's definitely viable if you're playing a less gear dependent build like summoner/spellcaster. I went self-found until 70 on my current summoner witch. Even now, the only gear I've bought is MF gear and a Solaris Lorica, my gear costs under 2 exalts. Level 7 Elreon really helps a lot.

Holy cow, you got a master to 7 already with solo play? What am I doing wrong?
Not asking for an easier league though.
"
Sickness wrote:

yes you are, you want higher drop rate of uniques because you have decided you dont want to trade. So you get the same experience as someone who trades without having to actually put the effort in to learn how to trade properly in the game. Less effort, same reward = easier league.
I'm perfectly fine with having the drop rates adjusted for the effort it takes to learn how to trade. I have never brought it up because i think its neglicable.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
Sickness wrote:

yes you are, you want higher drop rate of uniques because you have decided you dont want to trade. So you get the same experience as someone who trades without having to actually put the effort in to learn how to trade properly in the game. Less effort, same reward = easier league.

I find it very hard to take this post seriously, sorry. "Learn how to trade properly to progress" in an ARPG. lelelelelelelelel
ign: ecogen
"
ecogen wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
Sickness wrote:

I find it very hard to take this post seriously, sorry. "Learn how to trade properly to progress" in an ARPG. lelelelelelelelel

Yea. I like PoE a lot, but it is really a shame the game is balanced around trading and not self found.

People like different thing, there is nothing wrong if people like trading in a arpg game. But there are people dont like that part, and for them the game is not good designed as the progression is based on trading or investing a lot more time in farming.
Last edited by Ragnar119 on Sep 1, 2014, 2:09:41 PM
The question has never been "Is self-found viable?"

The question is, "Is self-found sufficiently rewarding?"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info