Why Self Found is Fine: 7 Days of Progress

"
Zanixx wrote:

Well, the conversation changes when you start talking about creating new leagues etc. Thats a game changer. I hadn't notice you mention that before so if you did, my bad. If you didn't, then you're saying it just to 'win' :)

Imo, I can see the attraction to a SF league. It would be nice to measure myself against others who play with the same restrictions etc and I feel there is a whole fountain of knowledge out there for the SF players to share however, my biggest fear with this is that it takes up GGG's resources from doing other things. For me, I can quite happily continue in my pursuit of SF grinding as it is.
If they made a SFL would I play it? Yep.
If they don't make a SFL does it disappoint me? Nope.

If/When paid leagues are actually possible and introduced, would I pay for a SF league? Perhaps, depending on cost ofcourse, but I wouldn't fiddle around with the orbs or drop rates or anything. Right now, it feels just about right for a SF player. (would think about changing mapping costs though!)

Mentioned it in my previous posts on this thread aswell, not just saying it to win :P. I agree that balancing around self-found AND trading in the current leagues or any leagues for that matter is pretty difficult if not impossible.
As for taking up resources, in my eyes all you have to do is tweak some numbers and add recipes for all the orbs and server load should(?) be the same considering the number of players won't change(I might be mistaken though it could be much harder than that).
In any case, glad we found some common ground.
ign: ecogen
Last edited by ecogen on Aug 29, 2014, 12:39:42 PM
"
wooli wrote:
Depends what you consider to be 'optimal'. Optimal at what? at getting GG items as fast as you can?

Why do you play on fresh leagues then?, All of those items you found/traded 4 months ago are lost and you have to start again. Surely that is not as optimal as just playing in standard and keeping all those hard earned items.

Does optimal mean to stay in standard then?

Completely missed my point.
By optimal I only mean through GGGs eyes. They chose a value for a reason, they probably consider it optimal.
"
Xavderion wrote:
"
pengant wrote:
Sickness give up man.

The OP must get our point by now, he can't be that dumb. He's just wanting to save face and not admit he was idiotic to post such a ridiculous claim and is trying to justify it with absolute rubbish now and everyone but idiotic morons will see that, so leave him to it.

Why so mad? Self-found is fine, especially after the FM patch.

Why so mad? haha give it a rest, i'm not going to bite.

It may be fine, I don't know. Having an opinion that it's fine is cool with me. Stating that it is definitely fine with 1 source of data to base that statement on borders on the ludicrous.
Last edited by pengant on Aug 29, 2014, 2:14:19 PM
Playing self found bow ranger in rampage and loving it, easy to do too, had no problem with merviel or brutus, u just need to prepare for the big fights and sometimes grind out that extra level for that notable u need etc

Also some luck with crafting helps ofcourse
Found more evidence that self-found is fine while playing my mjolner build in double reflect 70 map:
Last edited by Septile on Aug 31, 2014, 11:06:13 PM
"
Septile wrote:
Found more evidence that self-found is fine while playing my mjolner build in double reflect 70 map:

The odd lucky drop isn't really evidence for anything (unless you have enough data to get a reasonable estimate on the likeliness of those drops).

Being able to fight effectively with the suboptimal, but easily findable/craftable gear you displayed in the OP, however, *does* show that self-found is fine. As you say, the key is to be prepared for bad luck with item rolls, and be patient and flexible if your character's gear is deficient in some respect.
"
pengant wrote:

The OP must get our point by now, he can't be that dumb. He's just wanting to save face and not admit he was idiotic to post such a ridiculous claim and is trying to justify it with absolute rubbish now and everyone but idiotic morons will see that, so leave him to it.

sry the idea that self found isnt viable is the only ridiculous claim ive seen so far in this thread.

If you dont think self found is viable you are an awful player and you need to stop crying on the forums and start reading them to find out what it is you are doing so terribly wrong that you are failing a relatively easy task.
This thread smells.

It essentially goes like this: self-found is completely fine if you're retardedly lucky. No, seriously, I did it once and I got a 5L and Soul Taker to drop. There's no issues whatsoever.

I've played this game for thousands of hours and I've never had a Soul Taker drop. Outside of the 6L I rolled once I've never even got a single drop worth more than 10 exalteds. Obviously self found is going fine for you when you get insanely lucky drops - but that's not what the average person will feel during an average league.

Also, about the masters: yes, it makes playing self-found a lot easier, but it makes party play even easier, because when you play with others you can level up masters so much faster.

EDIT: of course self-found "is viable". You can do almost anything you want in this game. You can even go kill Vaal at level 1. But there is so much more power that is possible if you constantly play with others that it's ridiculous to claim that the game is fine if you play solo. The difference is humungous.
@Aelloon
Last edited by Aelloon on Sep 1, 2014, 4:01:14 AM
Self-found is fine if getting into middle tier maps with somewhat limited build options is enough (higher the maps you want to run self-found the more you limit your build options). Self-found isn't fine if choosing any build and gearing it to deal with hardest map content is required.

Masters surely improved self-found a lot though and after getting them to level 7+ they may remove a good portion of self-found build limitations. Of course the build enabling uniques will still keep stuff away from self-founders but the variety should be a lot better.

I've been playing Beyond mostly self-found and mostly solo. My Dual Shockwave Totem currently has this gear:

Spoiler

Early on I bought Shockwave Totem and possibly one other gem I don't recall. Helmet is the only item bought from the open market and it did cost one chaos. Wand dropped to the other player when we were duoing maps so I believe it's still self-found (just not solo). Other than those everything is my own drops or crafts. Been doing maps up to lvl 70 while trying to gather a base (some Zana missions have been up to lvl 72).
I'm currently running Sweep duelist build and apart from q17 Sweep till maps my items were self found or crafted. It's Rampage tho, and yes, this one died a few times.

Sweep DPS is 3.3K (mace is really subpar), 3.5K life, a Purity of <element> aura and a Herald of Ash buff.

Spoiler

Recently I bought a helmet for 2 chaos in trade chat, but it really doesn't change anything:

Spoiler

My main concern now is total lack of IIR items be it uniques, rares or simple gems. 3xMultistrike, 3xCWDT and not even single Item Rarity, and I've already prepared sockets for them.

As for my 5L astral plate - well, it's already 3rd 5L AP I crafted in various leagues, so it's kinda habit. First two were made from as-dropped 6S APs, this one was socketed (to my surprise) to 6S in 10 jews or so (my aim was 5S tops), an alch and a chaos or two afterwards and voila.
Last edited by dubadam on Sep 1, 2014, 5:20:42 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info