Why don't YOU play HC?

Prefer short term thrills like playing an fps or strategy game.Also don't like defensive style of HC I want to explore offensive styles.
desynch , lag . plus some elitist no lifers i dont want to be a part of .
foolish mortal, only skilled players blessed by RNGesus himself can ever farm one, not you!
1. Desync, which makes certain skills completely unusable.
2. Random/"triggered" game freezes, especially when opening rare strongboxes.
3. I prefer playing solo.
4. Not much room for experiments, you always have to be ready and prepared for every possible situation. Plus aforementioned path of life nodes/CI.
5. I don't like to skip some very hard map bosses just because it CAN 1-shot me.
6. DESYNC.
After LoD came out, I played Hardcore exclusively in Diablo II, and built two complete sets of Guardians. I'd never attempt to do that in PoE, for one main reason: the temp HC leagues' built-in planned obsolescence.

Hardcore is all about one thing: survival. Life and death should be completely in your own hands, not scheduled to elapse after a predetermined 3-4 month "season". That's more like a sports league than a death match and the lack of irrevocable death in PoE reinforces the feeling that HC is just a tournament rather than an actual lifespan. While D2 had HC Ladders, the difference was that they lasted indefinitely for far longer than PoE's transient "challenge leagues", which are really more like extended marathon races.

For Hardcore to be a meaningful proposition, GGG would have to make three big changes:

1. Fix desync and remove Alt-F4.
2. Make HC death permanent, with D2 corpse looting.
3. Unify all HC characters into a single permanent Hardcore League.

Hardcore does not work like softcore. Players bond with their characters until they die, rather than looking forward to starting over in a "fresh" economy. Instead of creating temporary HC leagues destined to be abandoned after a few months, use the unified permanent Hardcore League as a stage for enacting seasonal events. Instead of arbitrarily forcing our veteran HC characters into retirement, give us a chance to pit their mettle against new challengers and waves of environmental change. Stop treating HC like a badge of distinction and make it into a genuine life or death struggle.
Last edited by RogueMage on Aug 27, 2014, 3:02:40 PM
I liked HC on D2 singleplayer or USWest classic.

Lag though always kills it for me. This game has too much of it.
† You were a good man in a bad situation, Fairgraves. †
See what I am currently after here: 1767138
Thanks Chris! 2797098
Last edited by RaiseTheSteaks on Aug 27, 2014, 2:26:25 PM
Frankly i'm simply not skilled enough, lol ;-). I like theorycrafting n' stuff, but when it comes down to pressing the right key as fast as possible, i fail to miserably to often.
dedadadadedoodoodoo is all i want to say to you
because with a familly , time i get to play is so few i can't afford to play in HC and waste that time (even if its just a league change)

even if i play standard, i play like i would be in hardcore all the time, at level 85+ i can't afford either to die :)

as a criticism overall for leagues , i find rather boring that non hardcore league arent as challenging as hc ones (referring to how hard was invasion and is beyond)

for example Invasion why make hard boss in hardcore when dying is permanent, people skip and fail try to psuh to the max their char because of the consequence

but do this in standard with ultra hard boss , people will die trying then skip or refine and try to push their char to their max.

i would find it a better gameplay esperience and personnaly i think that softcore should have been beyond and vice versa , it would have been way more interesting :)

I would love to play hardcore, in fact I started with hardcore but the more I progressed the harder it became to play with my computer - hardly keeping stable 30 fps which is not that bad buy when I get some kind of a fps spike and usually I have to press the restart button in that case as my PC freezes and I can't do anything for 10-20 secs not even alt+f4 so I rip to the weakest things I can find...
I've played softcore in every league since I started playing in closed beta, but I decided this set of challenge leagues to finally suck it up and try out hardcore. At first the excitement of being able to die at any moment was pretty fun, but after a while I got fed up with that mindset of "I don't want to try that because I don't want to risk my character dying". I would purposely skip content like certain masters missions or vaal areas to avoid potential death. It started not being fun and more of a chore. I play mostly self found solo so limited gear made me extra afraid to try threatening content.

I switched to rampage yesterday and I'm already enjoying it much more. Running through content killing as many things as possible as quickly as possible suits my play style. And in rampage you are actually rewarded for it rather than in beyond where you are almost forced to slow down because of beyond mobs. In short, I don't enjoy the limitations that HC puts on you in order to succeed. The freedom without consequence of softcore is much more appealing to me.
 Pure and simple, I quit playing an HC league because to date GGG has not been able to make any significant reduction in desync and having to play PoE and have to always anticipate what the hell the server is doing regardless of what I am seeing on the client end is 100% no fun. If desync was a rare event then I'd be playing the Beyond league right now but since I do desync (even with my < 50 ms pings to the Dallas servers) and in an end level boss fight that is unacceptable and I've desync died more times than I care to remember. Having the /oos on a macro key isn't much of a help either so hardcore is out for me until GGG comes up with a better way to keep the client/server game state in sync.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info