Game looks great on youtube but I will never be able to play it

"

lol.

I'll explain it on a level you can understand.

One is a retarded expectation to have.

The other is the same.

That should make sense for people who fail at a first-grade level of basic logic ;)

I expect to play a video game and, with a reasonable amount of effort, be able to experience all or most of its content. This is a "retarded expectation to have"?

PoE is not a job, you gain nothing by playing it except whatever satisfaction the game provides. In your analogy for instance, someone dedicates all their time to becoming a great driver, and becomes a NASCAR driver, they now have a profession and the ability to earn a lot of money, that is the reward. There is no such reward in PoE, so why require such a ridiculous level of dedication?

Furthermore, PoE is not a competitive game (yeah OK, you can get a T-Shirt) there is no incentive for competition other than ego. If I wanted to dedicate myself to mastering a game it would be one in which it was rewarding to do so, such as Starcraft.

The only reason to play the game is for it's entertainment value, so what is the purpose of making the game a convoluted grind-fest?
Last edited by Mephasm on Aug 27, 2014, 4:23:47 PM
"
Mephasm wrote:
"

lol.

I'll explain it on a level you can understand.

One is a retarded expectation to have.

The other is the same.

That should make sense for people who fail at a first-grade level of basic logic ;)

I expect to play a video game and, with a reasonable amount of effort, be able to experience all or most of its content. This is a "retarded expectation to have"?

PoE is not a job, you gain nothing by playing it except whatever satisfaction the game provides. In your analogy for instance, someone dedicates all their time to becoming a great driver, and becomes a NASCAR driver, they now have a profession and the ability to earn a lot of money, that is the reward. There is no such reward in PoE, so why require such a ridiculous level of dedication?

Furthermore, PoE is not a competitive game (yeah OK, you can get a T-Shirt) there is no incentive for competition other than ego. If I wanted to dedicate myself to mastering a game it would be one in which it was rewarding to do so, such as Starcraft.

The only reason to play the game is for it's entertainment value, so what is the purpose of making the game a convoluted grind-fest?

well with a reasonable amount of effort you can experience the whole game. is it really that hard to do some research? i mean seriously. any MMO or other online RPG takes some learning. this isnt some single player game that walks you through learning every mechanic. part of the fun is figuring things out. if that isnt fun to you then dont play the game, its obviously not for you.

i personally had no problem picking up the game, i did a few builds of my own and made it to merc with the last one i made. after that i decided to research things and gain a better understanding of things. so i started to try builds posted on the forums to see how things worked. i also would modify builds i found to fit my preferences. it really doesnt take a ton of effort.
Last edited by Souljasam on Aug 27, 2014, 4:46:01 PM
"
"
Mephasm wrote:

PoE isn't a game that you just play and get good at, you have to read forums and wikis and other crap.

Yes it is. Durp. And no you don't.

Hey I got a question for you, what guides did the first path players use? Oh right. They used their brains.

I got to endgame (unlike yourself) without stealing people's builds and having everyone else do the math for me.

If you're someone who DOESN'T like to think, Path (or any real RPG) is not the genre for you.

And guess what - it has taken years for the community to really grasp the game, for a new player to start over building understanding of the game on their own is straight foolish, like trying to build science from the ground up because you refuse to read what others have learned..

And i agree with Mephasm, too many acting hard whiteknights here, they should be put down, [Removed by Support] and probated for their foul behaviour.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Firstly to the op if you would like to ask questions feel free to hit me up ing at xxsic_shots on rampage and I'll be happy to gab with ya.

Now that's out of the way might I just say I come from the old d2 hacking dueling community I was part of ladder hall when it was still a big thing and all I can think is we were never very free with our personal builds or any really good info. But at the same time we were very happy to take in a new dueler and help them test and learn and point them at the things that would help them grow . Here we seem to have half and half at best. Makes wonder what the community will be like in 3 or 4 years from now.
"
Mephasm wrote:
OP has a valid argument against the lack of information provided in the game and he gets charged by a bunch of white knights.

PoE isn't a game that you just play and get good at, you have to read forums and wikis and other crap. Apparently hardcore means tons of grinding and providing absolutely no basic information within the game. They really need to make an in game database for stuff like quest rewards and etc.

Since they will never do that, here you go http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Quest_Rewards

reading isnt hard and majority of I know about the game I learned myself just by paying attention to things in-game. OP himself said he wasnt trying at all.
True on the database though, things like which rewards we get and recipes we need wiki for.
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on Aug 27, 2014, 5:42:45 PM
The game is easy, man. You just have to take a little time to learn it. It has nothing to do with not catering to noobs, everybody is per definition a newbie, when they begin something new. What makes you good/hardcore/pro/whatfuckingever is your willingness to learn and adapt, man. And if you are seriously capable of reading and watching youtube videos/streams, you dont even have to aquire the knowledge yourself(Although thats taking the fun out of it).
The in-game tips during the loading screens even tells you to look up the wiki for Path of Exile.
I pretty much self taught myself how to play the game with the exception of watching some videos on YouTube that gave me inspiration.

Link to Wiki:
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_Wiki
"
Hey, TriniGamer :)

Here are some answers to your questions, and I will try to make this as simple and understandable as possible. Lets start:

1. Spectral Throw is the starting gem for the Scion class. This class is unlocked when you complete Act 3 for the first time. There's no other way of getting it, than either buying it from another player (or getting for free, it's not hard for a player getting it for you if you ask in Global Chat) or waiting for it to sometime drop, if you're lucky.
2. CoC is a gem you usually get at level 40-60, if you go for it.
3. The Ball Lightning gem you get at Cruel difficulty (this difficulty is reached after you complete Act 3 for the first time) but when in this difficulty, I'm unfortunatley unsure. Arc gem is gotten in about the same time as far as I know.
4. The golden "saber" throwing is a microtransaction effect for Spectral Throw, bought in the microtransactions store.
5. All gems can be placed in all sockets. The only requirement is that the colour of both the socket and the gem is matching. Yes, it's not very intuitive.

The problems with your gameplay I encountered countless times, when I first started playing, usually I hit a wall at about level 50-60, but I'm beginning to succeed. The only solution to this is that you, firstly:

1. Stop overestimating what you have to achieve to "succeed" in this game ... Just play for fun :)
2. To make an effective build, you need a thorough understanding of the skills in the game, both passive and active. This is only achieveable by experience, which is best gained by playing, but it's also recommended that you check out the unofficial PoE Wiki. Taking notes is recommended.
3. Join Public Parties, as these can help you getting on your feet greatly. To find Public Parties, when in-game press "s" and click at the fourth button from the left and begin browsing, to see if there's a party that's right for your needs. Don't be afraid, they're mostly nice people.

I hope this was all you needed to know.

Sincerely ...

Thanks so much buddy you hit the nail on the head perfect you answered all my questions perfectly and I even got the lightning arc gem today aswell.

Now I know whats happening here now. I just wish this game made it easier to teleport to other players its somewhat very difficult to ask someone to open a portal for you either they won't spend a scroll or they don't even read your chat. In Diablo 3 its really convenient just clicking on the banner.

I wish GGG could atleast take a page from their book D3 might be the opposite of this game but there are a couple of things they do have right and better if you are willing give jack his jacket.
Look how Awesome my MTX Marauder RF looks

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1695395
I dunno. After playing through since patch 1.2 on several new characters. I feel like Path of Exile is the easiest and most accessible it has ever been. I feel like you can pick up any skill and just go to town. You won't really hit any major bumps until Merciless act 3.

The skill tree has so many nodes that been improved and give multiple benefits that you can basically go in blind, and do whatever you want, and still will make it to the end of Merciless. I am surprised you are having issues. You should easily be able to jump in, play around, and not get stuck. You'll probably hit a wall by the end of Merciless, but by then you'll have learned enough to try again and make a much better character.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
Last edited by CliveHowlitzer on Aug 27, 2014, 9:11:12 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info