Grim Dawn is actually better than PoE

"
mucker wrote:
I found it easy and boring, you're just spoonfed everything and have to behave just absurdly to get killed.
But if you like it so much that is great because it means we won't have to read your posts anymore!

When you want to compare the difficulty of Grim Dawn with PoE, you must compare it with PoE's first 2 acts in Normal, because that's where it is right now.

Really good game. Very addictive. The combat is really done good, both feel and skills as you can make a build that uses one skill with a lot of procs or a character that uses few of them and times them good.

Character customization is excellent. You have two skill trees that you can chose and to that you have gems/artifacts that can add new skills.

But the game also has problems.

Very little area randomization (its more static with monster packs that is random), very bad area diversity (both acts looks very similar). Most skill effects are also not that good. Some animations are bad. A lot of walking with little killing in mostly open areas.

But its still in beta so a lot of things can change
"
Charan wrote:
"
Amiag wrote:
I wish developers would stop giving public access to theyr games so early on, it really spoils a lot of the fun of actually playing a finished product (do they even exist anymore ?)

Extremely good point. PoE *had* to get in there early by its very indie, f2p nature, but a not-free, professionally-developed ARPG from the guys who made Titty Quest? Really, giving public access to incomplete builds (at least until a proper closed beta and maybe a stress test) raises some red flags for me.

It's more of a 'not-free($20), independently-developed ARPG from A guy who made Titty Quest'. I believe it was just one dev, and a friend of his that would help when he wasn't doing his real job, when GD started. His work at the now defunct Iron Lore gave him an in to pick up the TQ engine on the cheap.

The feature that sold me on the game originally was being able to blast holes in the environment, and create your own tactical advantage. Haven't played the alpha much, as I'm kinda saving it for release, but I didn't see too much of that last time I played. Hoping it gets expanded.
No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
"
Amiag wrote:
I know they are supposed to add more stuff but I wish developers would stop giving public access to theyr games so early on, it really spoils a lot of the fun of actually playing a finished product (do they even exist anymore ?).

This is exactly what GGG did, and still does to an extent tho.
i use a secret account because i am a politician that doesnt want the NSA to know i play poe.
I saw how the game looked and was no longer interested. I can play games that looks like shit, but usually not if I have played a game that is similar (PoE) that looks a lot better.

For example, I played cs and had no problem with the fact that I was shooting at big pixels that was jumping around, then cs source came and when I went back to cs 1.6 I just uninstalled it because it looked like shit in comparison.

Diablo 2 is awesome, but I couldnt go back to it now that I have played PoE. Its the same with Grim Dawn, its just such a downgrade in how the game looks.

I can go emulate some old NES games and play them without a problem even though the graphics sucks, but I think its because I havent played a game that is similar to it with better graphics..

Ok, I feel like i've been rambling on for long enough now, dunno if any of this makes sense lol.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
I was thinking of picking up Grim Dawn a while ago but never ended up pulling the trigger. Might do that now. I thoroughly enjoyed Torchlight, and Grim Dawn, from what I've seen, looks almost like a single-player PoE.

"
CrazylikE wrote:
I saw how the game looked and was no longer interested. I can play games that looks like shit, but usually not if I have played a game that is similar (PoE) that looks a lot better.

For example, I played cs and had no problem with the fact that I was shooting at big pixels that was jumping around, then cs source came and when I went back to cs 1.6 I just uninstalled it because it looked like shit in comparison.

Diablo 2 is awesome, but I couldnt go back to it now that I have played PoE. Its the same with Grim Dawn, its just such a downgrade in how the game looks.

I can go emulate some old NES games and play them without a problem even though the graphics sucks, but I think its because I havent played a game that is similar to it with better graphics..

Ok, I feel like i've been rambling on for long enough now, dunno if any of this makes sense lol.
Are we talking about graphics here? From what I've seen the graphics in Grim Dawn look just as good if not better than PoE. The UI on the other hand looks quite dull, but that's not a big deal to me.
Last edited by Kony_Danza on Aug 12, 2014, 1:04:44 AM
People should keep a eye on this game. Its still in alpha/beta, but it has huge potential.
"
Kony_Danza wrote:
snip

Oh, I must have been looking at videos where they had the graphics turned really low or something. I checked some more videos on youtube now and the graphics arent that bad actually. As you said, the UI looks bad, but the graphics are ok. My bad :P
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Can't wait for release. I've supported it with like 80 bucks I think but I won't play it because I don't want any spoilers. From what I have seen and read it looks amazing.
Despite OP's obvious trolling, the game actually plays pretty well. It comes off more as a single player game with multiplayer added after the fact (like Torchlight) than something that had dedicated cooperative play built into it from the beginning.

Still, it'll make a nice diversion between PoE leagues.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info