Grim Dawn is actually better than PoE

"
GooberM wrote:
I could give Grim Dawn another try. The last time I played it was in June of last year, but I really didn't have fun with it. Maybe with the new builds I'd enjoy it now

If you have not played for that long, I would just wait for the official release which will be around February of next year. At that point, the content is complete and the game should be more optimized, balanced, and much less buggy.

I have not touch Grim Dawn since like May 2013 when first came out. Played almost the whole day, and fell in love with a game that only had one act, three masteries, and the level cap being at level 30.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Dec 2, 2015, 9:53:29 PM
For me some of what i really like about grim dawn is that i don't take it serious, however messed up that sounds. I just know it will be great fun for a while and then i'll let it go again.

I just lean back and enjoy it because i know it doesn't have that longevity in it, whereas for poe i compare to the absolute best and am very critical, and i look for that main-game potential.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:

Again, both games are heading into different directions. One is pure online, so the only way to get more content is for the devs to continue developing more on the game. While Grim Dawn is still growing, it will not be like PoE, so there is the reason of having modding tools, for the community itself to continue to add more content. Of course, Crate devs will still add more expansions (one is guaranteed) in the future.

right, I agree- Im just saying due to different nature of the games, it wont be ever of a magnitude of popularity poe has. I'm not saying thats good or bad, just kind of an 'it just is' statement haha.

"

Since Grim Dawn is catering to different audiences, there are those that will never get bored of it. There is actually one user that is well known in the GD community that has already played over 4k hours of game time in Grim Dawn. That is some dedication there since the game is still not done.

there are dedicated players even for single player games everywhere, especially with mods out there...Im sure people who love GD will play it a ton. Im talking in general, and my subjective opinion.

"

It has been stated from the devs that double rare gears are supposed to be the best form of gears, and only the legendary gears (if you dedicate yourself to a nique build) will be on par. If the player wants to dupe, or rollback to get better results in crafting, that is their issue. PoE has RMT, exploits (every once in a while, someone wants to take down the server to rollback), or to some extent playing smart with the master crafting system ( for example, +3 bows and staff).

I have no problem with that, just as I have no issues with poe's system. My concern is that this kind of gear is one of the very few real carrot on the sticks for most part. there are breakpoints in the game unlike in PoE.

"
There is also grinding to the highest faction reputation, which is really like master dailies in PoE. Act 4 is still not done, so the final boss of the core game is still not out yet. You can also farm for legendary items in level 50+ content once it is out (along with elite and ultimate difficulty meaning tougher challenges in the last difficulty), 60 and higher for the top tier relic recipes.

rep grinding is there, yes, but it seems fairly fast to grind to max rep and nemesis. at least in PoE grinding terms, Id say reaching a lvl 8 zana takes way more time to grind out one faction reps with bounties.

"

Crate is also focusing on Survival mode after release, which is suppose to be another alternative to end-game. Modding itself will be a form of end-game for those that tried out Soulvizer/Lilith mods in Titan Quest, there will probably something like that for Grim Dawn and more. Then there is the first expansion which will include another act, another mastery, and many more stuff that is still not disclosed from the devs.

thats interesting, will definitely check it out

"
Trade/flipper........just suggesting that idea is insanity itself.

I dont trade/flip either, but ultimately it comes down to what people like to do in the game. and poe has a lot for everyone. so people who like one thing can do that thing, and others who like something else will do that...theres a wide range of things. and I think thats great. GD just has less possibilities overall.

"

"
grepman wrote:
maybe Im just spoiled by PoE

Should had saved the trouble and mentioned this right off the bat. :P

eh but its kinda obvious isn't it that Im spoiled by poe ;) ? dont get me wrong - I like GD, but its for the most part a re-skinned TQ to me. It's good to play for a few weeks maybe months. It has its main focus and a very definite journey mapped out. I dont see it constantly updated as its not a mmo-like poe and thus it probably wont have as much of a community following. Its best bet is to have a TL2-like mod community, in order to really blow up. Not saying it should or should not blow up- I dont really care about game's popularity or anything- just saying.
Last edited by grepman on Dec 8, 2015, 2:44:07 AM
"
grepman wrote:
I have no problem with that, just as I have no issues with poe's system. My concern is that this kind of gear is one of the very few real carrot on the sticks for most part. there are breakpoints in the game unlike in PoE.

Well, in the recent Grim Misadventure update, low level epics will have better stats in higher difficulties, and they added the prefix empowered before the name of item to show it is a better version. Here is some samples of how Crate is improving those epic items. Later on in the thread, Zantai posted this in part that:

"For those asking about their favorite low level items, if it's below level 40 it got upgraded, even sets. Between 40 and 49 is a mix, the cut-off was around 45."

So, there should be a bit more options now. Though, MI rares well still be the best for pure stats, but for niche builds, this is a massive update. I am glad they are implementing this in build 29.

"
grepman wrote:
rep grinding is there, yes, but it seems fairly fast to grind to max rep and nemesis. at least in PoE grinding terms, Id say reaching a lvl 8 zana takes way more time to grind out one faction reps with bounties.

Of course since masters are RNG for appearing in areas, and Zana only appear in maps. On top of that, to gain more exp, there is daily mission, but it is because of the pretext "daily" that it takes much longer to max Zana. Imagine that restriction was taken out, it would not take much long to max out Zana. Grim Dawn's bounties are five bounties per faction per session. There is a hard cap, but it is easy to make a new session to reset the cap back to zero. If it was one or two bounties per faction per session, it would take longer to max the reputation, but the issue still lies that it is per session.

If I remember correctly, the faction system is local to your character, so you would always have to max out the factions "x" amount of times depending on the "x" amount of characters you make. PoE's master system is global, so even you make a new character, you will still have the reputation maxed out or whatever you have it as. Only temp leagues has the option to start out fresh in everything.

So yea, both games has their flaws, but both games something that really make them shine in their own way, and that is why I am sticking to both. :)
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Dec 8, 2015, 4:38:26 PM
Well, I'd try grim dawn but I ain't got the $25 to buy it.
TwitchTV: http://www.twitch.tv/akumanotsubasa
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/AkumaNoTsubasa
Please use http://pobb.in for your guides instead of pastebin!
Personally, I've played both, and my opinion is; both games are amazing and very well made. Huge fan of both games and both have a lot to offer.
Grim dawn is pretty cool but it's really miss an endgame...
If they don't add an endgame like random dungeon/map with difficulty level like in poe , torchlight and even d3 which did it because map system is the best endgame for an hack n slash, only ppl who love reroll lot of time will play a lot , ppl who love play endgame with max lvl char for find the best gear possible will be bored pretty fast because farm act 1 2 or 3 with no challenge is boring.

Last edited by keta on Dec 14, 2015, 7:30:50 AM
"
keta wrote:
Grim dawn is pretty cool but it's really miss an endgame...
If they don't add an endgame like random dungeon/map with difficulty level like in poe , torchlight and even d3 which did it because map system is the best endgame for an hack n slash, only ppl who love reroll lot of time will play a lot , ppl who love play endgame with max lvl char for find the best gear possible will be bored pretty fast because farm act 1 2 or 3 with no challenge is boring.

/rant

Well, Grim Dawn is going to be pretty much done, content-wise by build 29 which will probably be released around next week or the week after Christmas.

Build 29 is going to include another rogue-like dungeon like Step of Torment (this is one of the end-game content), the last part of act 4 which includes more areas and the final boss (fighting it in ultimate mode will be a form of end-game content), empowered epics (better version of early-game epics for end-game), more difficulty modes (Elite and Ultimate which is like Cruel and Merciless, and ultimate will be pretty difficult), legendary items which means more loots to farm, level cap increase to 75/80 or 100 since the GD database is already including affixes in items with level requirement of 80 and higher, and many more stuff.

After official release, which might happen around February, there is also going to be survival mode which is supposed to be another form of end-game content, but the devs have not disclosed it yet on how that is going to work and etc. Then there is modding which will give more options for the game. On top of that, there is already the first expansion that some of the devs will probably be working on after build 29 to get a head start for release the end of next year, which includes another act, another mastery (hopefully one dedicated to pure range weaponry), and many more stuff that the devs has not disclosed yet.

/endrant

To be honest, Diablo 3's end game is mostly greater rift which is a hybrid of a rogue-like dungeon and hopefully survival mode that has endless mobs or something along the line. Adventure mode is essentially like bounties with Grim Dawn in factions, so they share similar traits. Torchlight 2 has end-game just because of modding, and while Torchlight 2 does have a map system in vanilla.....it stinks. Grim Dawn will have mods too in the future.

As for Path of Exile, mapping is essentially rehashes of the tilesets in the main contents, with more mob density, and higher difficulty. Not really being negative with this, but I have mapped a lot and that is how I see it. I still have a great time.

Atziri content........can easily be passed off as a rogue-like dungeon and I never liked the content. I hope Ascendancy brings a lot to the table. However, for the most part, PoE, strive for competitiveness like racing seasons to win prizes is a good motivation, temporary leagues is for fresh new contents and gives more life to the game overall, GGG pumping updates every few months to keep the game running. When PoE goes stale for more than half a year, the game will start getting boring, so you will have to come up with ways to keep yourself motivated, and for the most part being an altoholic helps, which Grim Dawn will give you the option to do it too.

- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Dec 18, 2015, 5:13:26 PM
"
Grim Dawn is maturing very well as a ARPG game.

- Crafting is actually pretty cool and they got it right from the start.
- No desync
- You can progress through the entire game without trading
- No stupid overpowered items like shavronne's wrappings, aegis or vaal pact gloves.
- Well rolled rares are stronger than uniques
- No legacy items
- Better itemization
- Actual good items on the vendor
- No lag
- No RMT
- No ugly microtransactions
- No poe.xyz
- Good drop rates for solo self found play
- No reliance on trading to use your skills

Yay for Grim Dawn. It beats PoE hands down.

It seems like several of your points are repeats of eachother. Allow me to condense:

- You like the crafting in GD better
- No desync
- Better self-found gameplay
- Better itemization (+ well rolled rares stronger than uniques)
- No lag
- No RMT
- No MX's

Now, allow me to address a few of these:

- No desync. Path of exile now has the option not to desync as well
- No lag. Well, if you're playing GD in multiplayer, with other players then yes there is lag.
- Better itemization (+ well rolled rares stronger than uniques). Well rolled rares in PoE are MUCH stronger than uniques.

Btw, I am an original kickstarter supporter of Grim Dawn, and as you can plainly see, an original supporter of PoE as well.
I've been playing GD for the past few weeks and I've played PoE on and off for over 3 years. GD is an awesome ARPG, PoE is an awesome ARPG, but saying something like GD is better than PoE is utter nonsense, in terms of customization and uniqueness of builds, PoE offers a lot more than GD, tremendously more, and I don't see that changing with any number of patches, with that being said, GD is open world with a few instances here and there and is much better graphically, which is to be expected as PoE is older in comparison. PoE is a great game, GD is a great game. When you compare 2 games you'll be cutting the fun you'll have with either one by a great amount. Do not compare games. Enjoy them while you play them. But more importantly, PoE is a full multiplayer game, with an extremely loyal community, saying GD on a PoE forum only makes me question your intentions, which for now seem to be triggering PoE fans, which you'll find hard to do, since PoE players are usually smarter than that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info