Grim Dawn is actually better than PoE

Ohh i'm a naugthy thread, i think i need a lock for promote!
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
The latest thread about Grim Dawn is this. lol

B26 just came out, one month earlier than expected. Act 3 is done, and the level cap was increased to 50.

Crate's next plan for Grim Dawn:

"While this build marks a major milestone for Grim Dawn, there are still many exciting things on the horizon as we push towards our end-of-the-year target release date for the full game. Future releases will include Legendary Items, the Devotion System, an unannounced 6th Mastery, and more!"

source: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22338

The more part should include act 4 as well. This has been one hell of a week for Grim Dawn. Grim Misadventures update, hiring former Diablo & Diablo 2 designer Eric Sexton, and the release of B26. :D
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Jun 12, 2015, 4:23:24 PM
Seems pretty cool. I might have to check it out when I have time.
Developer of Nevergrind
b28 (came out last wednesday) introduced devotion aka poe tree ripoff ;) and also raised level cap

been playing it a bit on a binge during thanksgiving to get my toons up to date and up to 60

whats weird they're trying to balance things heavily just like poe does, but it's a single player, non-competitive game whatsoever (you can brute force craft GG items if you wish via save/load)
"
grepman wrote:
b28 (came out last wednesday) introduced devotion aka poe tree ripoff ;) and also raised level cap

been playing it a bit on a binge during thanksgiving to get my toons up to date and up to 60

whats weird they're trying to balance things heavily just like poe does, but it's a single player, non-competitive game whatsoever (you can brute force craft GG items if you wish via save/load)

The devotion tree is more like the Skyrim skill tree since there are constellations that meets their own requirement versus having to be connected the whole way to go from point A to point B, which what PoE's tree is.

As for the balancing part, the game does have a lot of stuff that might possibly make you ridiculous quickly. They have to take into account with the new addition of Devotion system which can make you even stronger. At the same time, they will eventually add more difficulty modes like elite (kinda like cruel) and ultimate (kinda like merciless) in build 29, so there is still balance involved be it from items (legendary items will be added soon to the game in build 29 as well), skills, and the mobs.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Dec 1, 2015, 5:25:16 PM
I'll pretend like this thread is legit and not just DFNS fucking around. :)

"
- You can progress through the entire game without trading
- No legacy items
- No lag
- No reliance on trading to use your skills
PoE doesn't suffer any of these. Legacy only exists on legacy leagues. Lag has never been a problem (though low framerate is).

"
- No stupid overpowered items like shavronne's wrappings, aegis or vaal pact gloves.
- Well rolled rares are stronger than uniques
- No RMT
- No ugly microtransactions
- No poe.xyz
All of this wasn't true in PoE CB but is sadly true now. :(

"
- No desync
This was true for a long time, but it's fixed now so it's all cool.

"
- Crafting is actually pretty cool and they got it right from the start.
- Better itemization
- Actual good items on the vendor
- Good drop rates for solo self found play
These are pretty subjective, but sound like Grim Dawn may be doing something right.

It'll be fun to see the game age and see if they make the same (or different/worse) mistakes than this one did. Similarly, it'll be interesting to see how much GGG fixes while the creators of Grim Dawn add more stuff.

There's enough room in the world for multiple good ARPGs and I hope both are good and get better.
"
pneuma wrote:
There's enough room in the world for multiple good ARPGs and I hope both are good and get better.

And that is how I feel too. While both games are ARPG, they are targeting different audiences. I feel that they will never compete with each other since both are going in different directions in how they want the game to be.

When Grim Dawn is officially released around February (if everything goes well), the game development is still not done since there is still survival mode to be implemented to the game, releasing the modding tools (API etc etc), and their first expansion. Path of Exile is continuously releasing more content, so there is that too. Both games will be around for a long time.

Cannot really say they complement each other, but they great alternatives to one another, and any diablo 1&2 fans will fall in love with both games.
- raics, 06.08.2016

grim dawn probably would never be as big as PoE because content-wise, there's very little, compared to PoE.

they really need to add more stuff like SoT to have players not be bored.

and I like the game, but every time I come back to it I just get to the next cap really quickly, do a lot of grinding of SoT/undercity/cronley/sunken reliquary runs, do a bunch of bounties, and it gets a bit stale afterwards. I don't mind the grind- I like grinding; but you get to the endpoint of the journey relatively quickly. it's as if youd get level 100 in poe with a powerful build and really good gear (not mirror quality but still). getting very specific double rare gear basically remains the carrot on the stick, and that's not much. the best items in the game (doubly rolled rares) people get by brute forcing saves, which is almost the equivalent of chaos spamming if it was ok to have infinite chaos supplies- basically its gambling, except people do it for free by saving/loading. otherwise youd just go broke in an instant, possibly worse than poe's crafting.

SoT is really the only thing that is interesting about GD's endgame imo.

game isnt difficult enough to hold you interested with basic mode like d3 inferno on launch, and compared to poe it has just very little content.

maybe Im just spoiled by PoE, because really- it has the most possibilities imo. you can be an altoholic, you can MF stuff, you can be a trader/flipper, you can be a standard crafter, you can do uber, you can try to do funky builds (and see if you can do atziri), you have your endgame mapping, you have new leagues/ladders, you have master dailies, you will have rigwald very soon and then the labyrinth...
Last edited by grepman on Dec 2, 2015, 1:16:24 AM
"
grepman wrote:
grim dawn probably would never be as big as PoE because content-wise, there's very little, compared to PoE.

they really need to add more stuff like SoT to have players not be bored.

and I like the game, but every time I come back to it I just get to the next cap really quickly, do a lot of grinding of SoT/undercity/cronley/sunken reliquary runs, do a bunch of bounties, and it gets a bit stale afterwards. I don't mind the grind- I like grinding; but you get to the endpoint of the journey relatively quickly. it's as if youd get level 100 in poe with a powerful build and really good gear (not mirror quality but still). getting very specific double rare gear basically remains the carrot on the stick, and that's not much. the best items in the game (doubly rolled rares) people get by brute forcing saves, which is almost the equivalent of chaos spamming if it was ok to have infinite chaos supplies- basically its gambling, except people do it for free by saving/loading. otherwise youd just go broke in an instant, possibly worse than poe's crafting.

SoT is really the only thing that is interesting about GD's endgame imo.

game isnt difficult enough to hold you interested with basic mode like d3 inferno on launch, and compared to poe it has just very little content.

maybe Im just spoiled by PoE, because really- it has the most possibilities imo. you can be an altoholic, you can MF stuff, you can be a trader/flipper, you can be a standard crafter, you can do uber, you can try to do funky builds (and see if you can do atziri), you have your endgame mapping, you have new leagues/ladders, you have master dailies, you will have rigwald very soon and then the labyrinth...

Again, both games are heading into different directions. One is pure online, so the only way to get more content is for the devs to continue developing more on the game. While Grim Dawn is still growing, it will not be like PoE, so there is the reason of having modding tools, for the community itself to continue to add more content. Of course, Crate devs will still add more expansions (one is guaranteed) in the future.

Since Grim Dawn is catering to different audiences, there are those that will never get bored of it. There is actually one user that is well known in the GD community that has already played over 4k hours of game time in Grim Dawn. That is some dedication there since the game is still not done.

It has been stated from the devs that double rare gears are supposed to be the best form of gears, and only the legendary gears (if you dedicate yourself to a nique build) will be on par. If the player wants to dupe, or rollback to get better results in crafting, that is their issue. PoE has RMT, exploits (every once in a while, someone wants to take down the server to rollback), or to some extent playing smart with the master crafting system ( for example, +3 bows and staff).

SoT may be the only endgame that you find interesting, but if one is an altoholic, then there is that other option thanks to the dual class system. There is also grinding to the highest faction reputation, which is really like master dailies in PoE. Act 4 is still not done, so the final boss of the core game is still not out yet. You can also farm for legendary items in level 50+ content once it is out (along with elite and ultimate difficulty meaning tougher challenges in the last difficulty), 60 and higher for the top tier relic recipes. Crate is also focusing on Survival mode after release, which is suppose to be another alternative to end-game. Modding itself will be a form of end-game for those that tried out Soulvizer/Lilith mods in Titan Quest, there will probably something like that for Grim Dawn and more. Then there is the first expansion which will include another act, another mastery, and many more stuff that is still not disclosed from the devs.

Honestly, I still like PoE a lot, and the only thing keeping me is being an altoholic, and to some extent endgame mapping (I miss 1.3 mapping since I was able to map almost all tiers) since I mostly can do 70-75 maps without any issues with RNG. I always found MF to be very overrated and a very outdated concept. Trade/flipper........just suggesting that idea is insanity itself. Standard crafter...meh, need the right gear to drop to make it work, but still too much work. Never been a fan of the new league/ladders since starting over from scratch again in an online game leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Master dailies.....Zana got nerfed. Atziri, be it normal and uber, never made sense to me, and I still feel till this day GGG made a huge mistake implementing that way to the core game. I hope Rigwald does not turn out the same way, otherwise it is another content that I will pretty much ignore. Labyrinth....I still have no comment to it, so I will have to wait and see. Do not get me wrong, I will still play PoE, but not every features it provides.

"
grepman wrote:
maybe Im just spoiled by PoE

Should had saved the trouble and mentioned this right off the bat. :P

Nothing wrong with this since I have also been spoiled to some extent, but Grim Dawn will still be a great alternative, and the game is still not done yet. Will never be as big from the standpoint with how PoE is going, but Grim Dawn will have its own ways of catering its audiences for a long time.

- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Dec 2, 2015, 4:09:27 PM
I could give Grim Dawn another try. The last time I played it was in June of last year, but I really didn't have fun with it. Maybe with the new builds I'd enjoy it now
You make my ochinchin go doki doki.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info