Devs and other GD people - Kripps Death a good thing

"
TeamWorkTom wrote:

If its intended then its going to piss off a lot of people and will get changed from player cry later on.

That sort of death is not fun nor does it feel rewarding from learning about it. The animation for the witch to cast corpse explosion is quick and if you are anything but range are likely to be 1 shotted soon after it dies.

Go find the video, if there was any melee in there they coudln't have ran fast enough away from the first bosses death to the second boss casting detonate corpse to have survived.

Again, its not about trying to make the game not challenging its about making the challenge feel rewarding when over came, cheap 1 shots like that are not fun and it isn't something graphically pleasing that a player will notice they avoided a bullet.

I've brought this up in other threads but Vaals hammer attack is the perfect example of how a how hitting potentially 1 shot ability/skill/attack should work. Its telegraphed and every time that thing swings and misses you feel a sigh of relief that you dodged it.

I'm confused, why would it piss people off if it's avoidable? They could have lured one boss away from the other, killed it and detonated it themselves, or cast some summons and try and bait the other boss into detonating the dead one with themselves out of range. It is possible and players who were aware of this danger have done it before in CB. This is also one of the rare scenarios in which party play is actually more dangerous than solo play, why change it?

If they had known about the danger they were putting themselves in, they would have done the same as what I mentioned: kiting, baiting etc. The only reason they died was because they were unaware and oblivious to the danger that this scenario presented. That is pretty much the reason for any death on HC. Why should this death be treated differently?
Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader
"
TeamWorkTom wrote:

I've brought this up in other threads but Vaals hammer attack is the perfect example of how a how hitting potentially 1 shot ability/skill/attack should work. Its telegraphed and every time that thing swings and misses you feel a sigh of relief that you dodged it.

even Vaals hammer attack is harder to avoid than corpse explosion like that.. all you need to know is that it can happen and u can completely avoid it in multiple ways.
Dont play HC if you dont know the game well enough.
If you do, dont cry.
"
Zheo wrote:
"
TeamWorkTom wrote:

even Vaals hammer attack is harder to avoid than corpse explosion like that.. all you need to know is that it can happen and u can completely avoid it in multiple ways.

For melee the answer is "don't kill her with melee", or what?
Devouring totem or detonate dead is the answer for melee.
Or you know, since it's a map and you think you can't handle twinned aliras you can always reroll the map. That's the thing about endgame in this game. If you get a map you think will destroy your character roll different stats on it. Not twinned = no 2 bosses with super high HP, no super deadly exploding corpses.
CliveHowlitzer wrote:

I am now too addicted to that feeling of being kicked in the nuts when you die.
"
Burmeister99 wrote:
"
Invalesco wrote:
It makes sense and it's intended.

Party play = higher boss HP. no sense in standing on the dead boss' corpse while the other detonates it on you. One of the maps in which that mod is actually potentially deadly. I tend to be extra careful when running that map mod. Besides, it happened before in CB, can't say that there was no warning around!

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/63253/

What inva said. This isn't a cheap death. Is working as intended there own fault for rushing to there loot. So Krip´s fanboys should relax and accept they made a huge mistake

"
TeamWorkTom wrote:
"
Invalesco wrote:
It makes sense and it's intended.

Party play = higher boss HP. no sense in standing on the dead boss' corpse while the other detonates it on you. One of the maps in which that mod is actually potentially deadly. I tend to be extra careful when running that map mod. Besides, it happened before in CB, can't say that there was no warning around!

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/63253/

If its intended then its going to piss off a lot of people and will get changed from player cry later on.

That sort of death is not fun nor does it feel rewarding from learning about it. The animation for the witch to cast corpse explosion is quick and if you are anything but range are likely to be 1 shotted soon after it dies.

Go find the video, if there was any melee in there they coudln't have ran fast enough away from the first bosses death to the second boss casting detonate corpse to have survived.

Again, its not about trying to make the game not challenging its about making the challenge feel rewarding when over came, cheap 1 shots like that are not fun and it isn't something graphically pleasing that a player will notice they avoided a bullet.

Piss of alot of people?? You crying if you get oneshotted by merviel if you got 0 cold resist?

They made a mistake, and POE punished them for it. GTFO if you cant handle the heat. Its easy avoidable with devouring totems or just stand away from the boss.

And the complete retards start pouring in. Go watch the video, we are talking about players getting 1 shot with amazing gear, not just for damage but for survivability.

Chances are you will never even make it to maps your entire time playing this game because you are so ravenous about other players such as myself explaining why a 100k damage corpse explosion is not in any way shape or form good for a game.

But you keep putting on those glasses of idiocy and keep telling your self you know a thing about game psychology, which well I'll let your genius figure out what game psychology is.

"
Alros wrote:
Or you know, since it's a map and you think you can't handle twinned aliras you can always reroll the map. That's the thing about endgame in this game. If you get a map you think will destroy your character roll different stats on it. Not twinned = no 2 bosses with super high HP, no super deadly exploding corpses.

Great so you can 'avoid' by not doing it, so then if it will never be done don't you think there is a problem with that?

We arn't talking about a bad item roll, its content in the game that will now never be done simply because its broken.

What happens later on in higher levels where white monsters have even higher HP, I doubt GGG wants to go the D3/WoW itemization path and have exponential item growth as can be seen by the two highest HP rolls.

Fecund 64 Base Maximum Life 90 to 99
Vigorous 73 Base Maximum Life 100 to 109

A difference of 9 levels and only an increase of 10 life. Yet because damage scales higher than HP monsters HP will become higher proportional to increased damage thus making a corpse explosion on a white mob becoming just as devastating.

If something is so broken no one bothers to do it then whats the point of it even being in the game?

If balance was not part of a beta process or game development process they would have kept lighting arrow in its release state, or left it so you could cast 2 totems and still cast spells. They wouldn't have changed anything.

Defending unfun game mechanics simply because they can be avoided isn't a solution for the long term.
Last edited by TeamWorkTom on Feb 2, 2013, 7:26:48 AM
"
Alros wrote:

That's not an answer if the other Alirya detonates before you or your totem are able to.

It's a dumb interaction of damage scaling off party size, and in other cases this has come up it has been removed (or is in the process of being removed ala Unrighteous Fire). I don't see why anyone would expect this case to be different, other than it killed a popular streamer.
Last edited by Wallach on Feb 2, 2013, 7:17:29 AM
"
TeamWorkTom wrote:
Spoiler

Fanboy calm down. No need to start personal attacks. You are not suppose to survived it in a full group. Many of us old vets knew about this there have been other forum threads. But im sorry to shatter you dreams but Krip was a clueless scrub and he payed for it with his life like so many others in HC. Now we don't all go and make whiny forum post do we?
"
Wallach wrote:
"
Zheo wrote:
"
TeamWorkTom wrote:

For melee the answer is "don't kill her with melee", or what?

eh.. don't kill them while both of aliras are together or destroy the corpse your self the second she dies or make last few last hits from range or make her corpse shatter with killing blow(not 100% sure if this one works) and i am sure there are even more ways to avoid it.
"
Wallach wrote:
"
Alros wrote:

That's not an answer if the other Alirya detonates before you or your totem are able to.

It's a dumb interaction of damage scaling off party size, and in other cases this has come up it has been removed (or is in the process of being removed ala Unrighteous Fire). I don't see why anyone would expect this case to be different, other than it killed a popular streamer.

And that's your opinion.
I like that kind of interactions. It might get changed (though I really don't think it should) and I won't be pissed if it does. But to me this is a very logical though very deadly mechanic. I probably wouldn't have thought about it myself if I were in that situation, but why change something you just haven't been aware of? Piety is super strong if you face her for the first time. If you know what to expect you can prepare for it. Same goes for the double alira scenario. As others and myself have said, there are ways to circumvent this. Ranging from skillgems to rerolling the map.
CliveHowlitzer wrote:

I am now too addicted to that feeling of being kicked in the nuts when you die.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info