How this game will survive

Just put on steam as f2p. look at 'spiral knights' dev making big money after they added the game on steam.
The game has many innovative aspects, which can help it to compete with its rivals. And I have no doubt, that the game sirvives, if developers will add new content and so on in time.
"
fuzzth wrote:
Just put on steam as f2p. look at 'spiral knights' dev making big money after they added the game on steam.

If GGG would get past some potential obstacles, then using Steam as distribution platform would most likely increase PoE playerbase.

More players = bigger chance of micro-transactions increase.
"
kmansp wrote:
This game looks great... action RPG's are my thing, and I've played them all.

My concern is how long the game will last. If the only thing they are making money from is the sale of in game items, then they are really banking on the greed of players wanting better loot. While I have no doubt there will be lots of players wanting to pay real money for in game items, if that plan doesn't really catch on or last long enough this game will dissappear pretty quick. I mean, lets face it... the offer of a "completely free game" is great, but what if (big what if... I know) nobody bought any in game items? This game won't last a week because the company won't have the money to keep servers going, paying it's employees, etc. Isn't this a really risky move?

I guess I'm just curious to see how this is all going to work... I really hope this game succeeds, mostly because it'll feed my action rpg addiction. :)

Well this game will last for sure longer then one week even if nobody buys anything. The employees will get payed same as they are now when they are developing the game.

But the whole trick is not going to be if people will buy stuff (there will always be those) but is the game going to be good enough to attract enough people to buy stuff. This game is being made for a bit more hardcore players and the question is if there is enough of them out there.

It's easier to justify spending $5 here or there for a game that initially costs nothing compared to spending $50+ and then additional dollars for DLC.
"
ep0k wrote:
"
fuzzth wrote:

If GGG would get past some potential obstacles, then using Steam as distribution platform would most likely increase PoE playerbase.

More players = bigger chance of micro-transactions increase.

Steam is perfect for something like this. People even buy completely cosmetic items in an FPS game.
League of Legends is roughly the same idea and that game is one of the better ones in terms of business models. If the game is fair people will pay for stuff. I even bought the collectors edition thing and I've never paid $$ in a free to play game outside of that.
I think this game will do just fine. It looks great and looks like a lot of fun to play. It also looks like it will be very polished when it comes out and not be some horribly-developed and buggy piece of garbage which is the case with so many free online games out there.

I'm also not one to spend real money on free games for in-game virtual items but I would make an exception for this one. It's earned it.
would probs make money from the website and with the amount of hits just to check the timer that would be a ok pay day
There are plenty of games that have the same system to make money, and some of them.. The addicting ones become more and more popular. I think people get drawn into the F2P and then the see how awesome the game is and gladly empty their wallets.
A game I used to play when I was a child was Maple Story, they have the same system and have become very popular.

P.S. Maple Story is extreme horrors hehe I can't believe I used to play it.
Build a man a fire, he'll stay warm for a day. Set a man on fire, he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.
Last edited by Illusionist on Sep 20, 2011, 8:23:33 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info