[Official] WINE info thread

"
Drakier wrote:
it's just a name. it's not actually that unstable. I've only had it break a couple of times and was usually fixed in a couple of hours. I imagine anything with frequent updates will break on occasion. but that is where the popularity helps out. because it is popular, they find and fix stuff quick.

Does Debian support E17?
Last edited by DementedKumquat on Mar 17, 2013, 11:17:06 PM
e17 is listed in the sid package list... so yes.

it's probably in others. Google for Debian e17
"
Drakier wrote:

Since you mentioned you get the latest updates with debian sid does that mean it is considered a rolling release?
I have no idea
"
"
Drakier wrote:

Since you mentioned you get the latest updates with debian sid does that mean it is considered a rolling release?

Since most of the dev work for Debian takes place on sid, I'd say it's a rolling release, sure.

In practice though, with Ubuntu, it's pretty much a rolling release as well as the updater is constantly offering the latest patches and so on, nearly on a daily basis. And, when a major release comes around, all I had to do was click the upgrade button and all of the packages were updated. The system settings and my files were all as they were. No re-installation necessary. It was very, very simple. YMMV of course.

Of course, this thread is about PoE on Wine so this is getting a bit off topic. :)
Last edited by Sovyn on Mar 17, 2013, 11:44:17 PM
"
Sovyn wrote:

In practice though, with Ubuntu, it's pretty much a rolling release as well as the updater is constantly offering the latest patches and so on, nearly on a daily basis. And, when a major release comes around, all I had to do was click the upgrade button. It was very, very simple. YMMV of course.

Are the issues with the kernel fixed? That was one of my concerns with Ubuntu and Mint.
Last edited by DementedKumquat on Mar 17, 2013, 11:47:41 PM
The one and only thing that needs to be fixed under linux is ATI legacy drivers dunno how PoE works under new drivers but with legacy we have these FPS drops and we can do nothing to change it.
Overall what distro would be the most dependency free?
"
marceel wrote:
The one and only thing that needs to be fixed under linux is ATI legacy drivers dunno how PoE works under new drivers but with legacy we have these FPS drops and we can do nothing to change it.

Yes, I was having the same issue with the AMD/ATI legacy proprietary driver.

I found a way to improve it a bit overall though, and have included the steps toward the bottom in my little how-to guide.
"
Overall what distro would be the most dependency free?

It's not about being dependency free. It's about there being proper support for all dependencies required. The software is the software. The dependencies on other libraries are going to exist regardless of your distribution.

Where it plays a factor is in the package maintainers properly recognizing those dependencies and including them in the package for each component. You could probably get your current distro to work if you just installed the correct libraries... but there is no certainty in that.

As someone else said though, this discussion on Linux is getting a bit off-topic for the Wine thread, and should probably created in a new thread if you still need additional assistance with it. Where you are right now is not really relevant to Wine. You're looking at a complete overhaul which is outside of the scope of this topic.

My recommendation is to use VirtualBox or some other VM system and install a bunch of different ones and determine which you like the best. find out which installs the easiest, is the easiest for you to configure and use, etc. Once you've determined what you like best, then re-install your system using the same method. No one here can tell you what you should do. We each have our own opinion. The one thing I think we can all agree on however is that it sounds like you need to pick a well-maintained and mainstream distribution.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info